Leptospirosis, weils disease

woodcock1

After refusing to eat on tuesday night was the fist sign something was wrong with Bella. At first I didnt think too much of it as she was a fussy eater anyway but after refusing again on wednesday night I got concerned. Yesterday I took her to the vet who diagnosed her with leptospirosis and gave her some injections of anitbiotics and told me to return today around six.

I didnt have to return as she passed away this evening.

Only symptoms were not eating, heavy breathing and in the last few hours were yellowing and weeping of the eyes.

Unfortunatly she had not been vaccinated recently.

RIP Bella

post-24214-0-73432000-1320445527.jpg

Very sorry to hear of your loss I know how you feel as I lost my 4 year old Cocker the same way January past (during the snow fortnight), he went down in less then 24 hours despite the vet puttin him on a drip of antibiotics even though he was in the house the night before and bathed the day before that. I posted it on PW at the time, I cried for 2 days over loosin Sweep but I had to think ahead so I went out and bought a Springer pup and a few months later I bought another Cocker pup, Gone but not forgotten - I hope you don't hurt for too long mate. :good:

Thanks very much for all the kind comments. Our dogs are the most wonderful companions and its always a terrible loss, she will be remembered with a warm heart. It was tough this morning laying her to rest on my own near the house. I have two more springers (who are getting spoiled today) all of whom shared a run. They are pacing up and down all day, they seem to know. Im keeping a tight eye on their health as I really dont want to do this again soon.

Thanks again for all the support.

Thinking of your loss. So, So sad. Still haven’t got over loosing one of mine. Take the time to reflect on this as the time is so quick and you will look back on these fleeting moments.

I am so sorry to hear of your loss.I had the same thing in feb this year when i lost my 3 yr old Zac.I miss that dog so much so i nkow how you feel.

All the best for the future and my thoughts are with you ..Nicky

so sorry for your loss mate :(

dogs dying from lepto is too common even in vacinated dogs , makes you wonder at the quality of the vacines :no:

Darren, more than happy if you want to start a new thread on this, but don't think here is the place. The vaccines are very good and it is very very rare for a dog to get lepto that has been vaccinated properly and boosted annually.

Please don't forget it is a disease you can catch.

Darren, more than happy if you want to start a new thread on this, but don't think here is the place. The vaccines are very good and it is very very rare for a dog to get lepto that has been vaccinated properly and boosted annually.

Please don't forget it is a disease you can catch.

AND IT CAN KILL