Recomended reading

red_stag88

"Pigeon Shooting" by Archie Coats is probably the most well known book on the subject.  It is certainly very informative, but was written some time ago and does not include many of the more recent techniques.  Still worth a read and turns up cheaply in second hand sporting bookshops.  

A friend has "Pigeon Shooting" by Richard Arnold, which is very interesting.  This concentrates a lot on hides and positioning.

"Pigeon Shooter" by John Batley is the one for sale by BASC at the moment but I haven't seen it so can't comment.  Perhaps another Pigeonwatch member can elaborate.

I have also come across "Woodpigeon, the Ultimate Quarry"  [Peter Theobald] and it looks useful.

There's also the following listed in my catalogue of sporting books, but I've not seen them.  Perhaps other members can elaborate:

"Pigeon Shooting" by John Grey,

"Practical Pigeon Shooting" by Peter Hall, 1995 Crowood Press

George Digweed has also produced a video, but I can't comment.  I think there were some videos done for Shooting Times in the 80s by Archie Coats.

I'm sure there are other books on the subject which members can comment on.

I have just been bought the following for xmas and on having a sneaky look through they are excellent.

The woodpigeon the ultimate quarry-Peter theobald

The pigeon shooter-John batley

Modern pigeon shooting-John humphreys.

All books were purchased from tideline books tel-01745 354919.

Regards sean. :angry:

Can anyone comment on the following pigeon shooting books?

Perhaps we should do a "book review" section later?

H

“Shooting Woodpigeon” by  AEB Johnson

“Sporting Pigeon Shooting” by Michael Brander

“Shooting Pigeons” by John Humphreys

"Pigeon Shooting" by Albert W. Money

"The Book of the Wood Pigeon" by Colin Willock

Just received my copy of "Practical Pigeon Shooting" by Peter Hall.

A very interesting book.  Informative points regarding pigeon habits, making hides, planning shooting days, laying out decoys etc.  Section on roost shooting.  Decoying section which also describes setting up dead birds as decoys, including methods of supporting them.

Very readable - illustrated with anecdotes from the author's shooting days.  You can easily dip into it and read a bit at a time without losing the thread.  Probably good for a younger reader as there's not too much to wade through and it is presented in an interesting manner.

Negatives:

Probably a little too brief for someone who has already been doing some pigeon shooting.

Despite the date of publication being 1995, judging by the style, it looks as if it was written a long time before then, and the photography is all black and white.

• 3 weeks later...

I got "The Book of the Woodpigeon" by Colin Wilcock, published by White lion, for Christmas.

It is a very interesting book, detailing natural history of the pigeon, trends in populations, food, history of pigeon shooting, and a fascinating chapter on the life of Archie Coats.

It is well worth a read, but please note - it is not a reference book on pigeon shooting techniques!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Hammergun,

I have the Peter Theobald book and I can recommend it to you.

I met the guy at last years game fair and he seems a top bloke(for a cockney).

Seriously, he knows his decoying and in the book he explains all the modern practicalities of pigeon shooting very well.

My only criticism is that he writes of leaving fields and letting the birds buid up.

You know and I know that in the real world we don't get many chances to do this.

All in all, worth a read.