Explain choke sizes please?

Frenchieboy

This might sound stupid but I am a little puzzled and would like some "expert" advise!

I have just got hold of a Mossberg 9200 (12 guage semi auto) which is fitted with a choke tube that is marked "MODIFIED" - When we put a choke guage into it the guage says it was 1/4 choke. When I phoned up the UK Saddlery and Gunroom (Who, I am informed are importers for Mossbergs) they said that a "MODIFIED" choke was the equivilent of a 1/2 choke but this is different to what the choke guage says, could anyone shed any light on this please?

Also, I am trying to get another choke tube for the Mossberg 9200 and would like something around 3/4 choke for general rough and decoy shooting. The UK Saddlery and Gunrooms say this would be "IMPROVED MODIFIED", can anyone on here confirm this please as I don't want to get the wrong one and have to buy yet another.

EDIT: Just a thought - If anyone does have a spare 3/4 or Full choke tube that will fit the Mossberg 9200 that they would like to part with/sell I would be grateful if they could contact me A.S.A.P.!

Edited by Frenchieboy

Modified is 1/2 (American equivalent) if the choke guage is one of those tapered things you put in the pointy end then chuck It away or use it for a fishing weight! They are a waste of space, choke is a measurement of constriction from inside the bore, so different guns chokes will measure differently depending on the inside bore measurement.

USA equivalents are roughly 1/4= IC, 1/2=mod, 3/4= IM, full=full.

Those choke gauges are nonsense. The choke is a measures of restriction relative to the bore. As i understand it bores differ slightly in diameter between manufacture. Browning and Beretta are different i believe. Someone will have the actual figures i'm sure.

EDIT, typed too slowly, Ed got in there.

Edited by Markio

This might sound stupid but I am a little puzzled and would like some "expert" advise!

I have just got hold of a Mossberg 9200 (12 guage semi auto) which is fitted with a choke tube that is marked "MODIFIED" - When we put a choke guage into it the guage says it was 1/4 choke. When I phoned up the UK Saddlery and Gunroom (Who, I am informed are importers for Mossbergs) they said that a "MODIFIED" choke was the equivilent of a 1/2 choke but this is different to what the choke guage says, could anyone shed any light on this please?

Also, I am trying to get another choke tube for the Mossberg 9200 and would like something around 3/4 choke for general rough and decoy shooting. The UK Saddlery and Gunrooms say this would be "IMPROVED MODIFIED", can anyone on here confirm this please as I don't want to get the wrong one and have to buy yet another.

EDIT: Just a thought - If anyone does have a spare 3/4 or Full choke tube that will fit the Mossberg 9200 that they would like to part with/sell I would be grateful if they could contact me A.S.A.P.!

No you don't :no: trust me :good:

I'm not doubting you but it would help me out if you could give an explanation for your comment please. Why would I not be happy with a 3/4 choke for rough shooting or pigeon and crow decoying - I'm intrigued.

1/4 choke will kill consistently out to 50 yrds with the right cartridges :yes: you mention decoying , the average decoy pattern is 25 yards out , wouldn't like to eat anything hit dead centre with 3/4 choke at 25 yards :no:

A lot of these things are personal choice. All my pigeon guns have been either 3/4 or full but I'm never fussed about eating them, I'm usually just keeping them off something. Plus I know I can take some long stuff should it present itself.

If planning on more devoting and you want your dinner maybe open up as suggested above

I tend to do more crow than pigeon decoying so eating what I shoot is not too much of an issue. Any pigeons that I do shoot just get breasted and rabbits shot with a shotgun go for ferret food or "Bait Stations".

My main thought on asking about a tighter than 1/2 choke is for taking on slightly longer shots that might present themselves, plus of course I want to use the gun for the occasional fox where a slightly tighter choke could be of benefit!

Choke is a carefully measured constriction of the bore of a shotgun at the muzzle, designed to control the spread of the shot as it leaves the barrel.

Hallowell & Co.'s descriptions of choke borings are determined by measuring with a bore micrometer, irrespective of any markings on the barrels. The internal diameter is measured four inches from the muzzle and again just at the muzzle. Subtracting, gives the amount of constriction in thousandths of an inch.

In our descriptions of each gun, chokes are listed in the order of the normal sequence of firing and abbreviated as under the following American Designations:

12 Gauge 20 Gauge 28 Gauge .410" Bore American English Browning Italian Perazzi Percentage

Constriction Constriction Constriction Constriction Designation Designation Codes Codes Codes Pattern

.000" -.001" .000" - .001" .000" .000" cyl true cylinder *** C**** 0 40%

.002" - .006" .002" - .004" .001" - .004" .001" - .002" skeet impr cylinder **$ S 1 45%

.007" -.013" .005" - .011" .005" - .007" .003" - .006" imp cyl quarter **- **** 3 55%

.014" -.023" .012" - .019" .008" - .014" .007 - .012" mod half ** *** 4 60%

.024" -.031" .020" - .026" .015" - .020" .013" - .017 " imp mod three quarter *- ** 6 65%

.032" -.040" .027" - .033" .021" - .027" .018" - .021" full full * * 9 70%

.040"+ .034"+ .028"+ .022"+ ex. full 10 75%

The dimensions used in the above table are rules of thumb. Bore measurements by micrometer are useful to predict the pattern thrown by a shotgun barrel, but they remain merely a prediction. The only way to determine the actual pattern thrown by a shotgun barrel is to shoot it, by convention at 40 yards, count the percentage of pellets falling within a 30" circle placed around the visual center of the pattern (as in the right-hand column of the above chart), then do it a few more times and take an average.

It is not so hard so long as you have been to spec savers :lol:

TEH

The rate at which the bore tapers as well as the amount it tapers can have an effect. Some best guns have a long slow taper, followed on occasions by a parralel section at the reduced diameter. The tendency now with screw in chokes means a shorter taper and out of necessity its more sudden.

Its the effect rather than the dimensions that matter. If it says modified you can assume its a light choke but cartridges, wads, even shot size will have cause it to vary slightly. With LGs every pellet will hit the choke with 7s maybe less than 10% will so its all relative

i have one of those horrible choke gauges purely to give me a quick and (very) rough idea of whats what at the muzzle end of a gun. when i got my sx3, just out of interest, i tried the choke gauge in the full choke and to my horror it went in to the hilt and was slack :o . i found out later that it was to do with the sx3 being back bored.

your best bet imho is to put up a pattern plate(sheet of cardboard) stand about 30/35 yds away from it,and shoot it with half choke,change board and repeat with other chokes,and youll see roughly then what pattern your getting,i tried it ,and at 35 yds with 1/4 choke in my gun,there was holes in pattern big enough to draw a pic of a rabbit in there easily,so i opted for half first barrel,and three quater for second as their gonna be going out after first shot normally