Which Semi-auto?

eredel

I'm looking for some advice on semi-autos from you knowledgeable peeps. :)

Looking at Browning, Winchester, Beretta in gas autos and Franchi/Benelli in inertia autos bearing in mind I have not shot either type so need some some practical advice.

Many thanks in anticipation.. :good:

Eric.

A very large can.

My personal choice depending what you want to shoot:

Clays - Benelli Supersport carbon

Field - Winchester SX3

The Beretta boys will be along in a minute and again they are great great guns. Find a shop which has a good range and try before you buy as what suits one wont always suit another. :good:

I went for a benelli, fitted me well also inertia for easyier cleaning (which is what I was after), fires 21G cartridges. Found the Fabarms had too short of a stock for me. Remember a 28" semi is equiv to a 30" o/u when you are looking at them.

The Franchi Fast Black has Benelli literally written all over it.. :yes:

What's the recoil like on the Benelli?

Gonna have to go and shoulder a few!

Eric.

Edited by eredel

I don't notice the recoil on mine, there again I am well padded, a couple of friends who prefer o/u's who have tried it say they like the feel of it.

The gun fit comes in a first all the time, while I tried a friends s/a before getting mine I found his was not a good fit, a case of trying as many as you can to see which one feels right. With some s/a's they have adjustable stocks by changing shims, which I left mine as supplied.

Many thanks for the input so far....much appreciated!

Must admit to liking the look of the Franchi Fast Black...very light gun...would appreciate some opinions. :good:

Would an inertia semi kick less than my Browning O/U or more?

Eric.

I've got both, horses for courses. I love my Browning and it is my choice if I want to have a serious clay day, but I have to admit that that is simply because i have had it longer. My Benelli is tremendous fun and it certainly kicks differently to the O/U, feels less to me, ( One bloke shot it and said the kick is more than his O/U after only one shot! :hmm:). It all depends what you feel like on the day. Certainly for convenience, if I am shooting with several people, it can be a pain picking up the discards from the semi while people are waiting, when I can catch the empties from the O/U as I eject them. However, if you really must have a heavier cartridge, you can really feel the difference. 28gm can leave me with a bit of soreness after 200+ cartridges on the O/U, but with the Benelli, the only soreness is from lifting the gun 200 + times, not from the recoil. Having said that, you can use light loads as well, the Benelli cycles 21gm loads easily and I only find it hanging up on a cartridge about once in a round of about 50 shots, fine if you are just practicing. Certainly easier to clean the Benelli, only one barrel and no problem if it starts raining - it took me hours to fully dry and clean the woodwork etc on the Browning after being caught in a storm on a round of sporting. Spares/accessories for the Benelli -if you want the extended stock insert, it is about £60, the extended comb insert £40 :oops: . Try them both, it will confuse you even more and make you want to buy them both - it did to me, so I saved up and did :lol:

Edited by Bloke

I've got both, horses for courses. I love my Browning and it is my choice if I want to have a serious clay day, but I have to admit that that is simply because i have had it longer. My Benelli is tremendous fun and it certainly kicks differently to the O/U, feels less to me, but some people have shot it and said the kick is more than their O/U after only one shot! :hmm: It all depends what you feel like on the day. Certainly for convenience, if I am shooting with several people, it can be a pain picking up the discards from the semi while people are waiting, when I can catch the empties from the O/U as I eject them. Howevre, when you really must have a heavier cartridge, you can really feel the difference. 28gm can leave me with a bit of soreness after 200+ cartridges on the O/U, but with the Benelli, the only soreness is from lifting the gun 200 + times, not from the recoil. Certainly easier to clean the Benelli, and no problem if it starts raining - it took me hours to fully dry and clean the woodwork etc on the Browning after being caught in a storm on a round of sporting

Thanks for the input from yourself and the previous... :good:

I won't use the semi on comp DTL...will stick to the O/U for comp.

Semi will be for recreational sessions over at High Lodge in Suffolk and any crop protection required from my farming friends.

Eric.

Oh dear!!...sorry, don't want to start a war.. :blink:

So what's the difference between inertia and gas as regards recoil, cleaning, maintenance, etc?...not asking much, am I! :blush:

Eric.

Gas operated are generally softer shooting. Inertia guns are easier to clean. :good:

Don't forget the Remington 1100(or 1187), there's a reason they're still producing them after well over 40 years :good:

Edited by poontang

I have both a Remington 1100 and a recently purchased fabarm XLR...fabarm every time. The technology in it, the look, the feel, proofed to HIGHEST pressure, 3" chambers, comes with a case and 4 chokes! Lots of add-ons available.

People are wary of fabarm. I am putting money on them being big over the next year or two. They already are in Europe (problem with old importer here).

Give it a go, that's all I say ;)