best fish n chips,local to you?

hushpower

Alberts Fish Bar in Holt is highly recommended and would be the nearest chip shop to me at 6 miles away or if its a Friday the village pub, The Bluebell, do take away fish and chips but you need to be hungry too eat the size portions you get there, handy as its only a few hundred metres from my house.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-15969789

I used to love having the harrys challenge. One massive portion of f n c then you got a free pudding if you eat it all! May have to go one more time before it closes!

i tried it a few times if my boss was paying i would fail if i was paying i could always do it. its a shame the original is closing more than likely turn in to a polish supermarket or some **** like that another bit of Great Britain down the pan :( ho we have two chippy's kennys which is new but good and castle fisheries both within half mile in conisbrough

there no where local to me that does decent fish un chips,,the fish is as thin as ever and the batter is like slop !

theres only one place i enjoy them from and thats when i go to visit familly up north near Hull-Beverly on Mill Lane :good: had some last friday for my tea and thourghly enjoyd :) Always remember sitting along the front at Brid as a kid and was always good eating there to.....proper chips fish un batter up north !

Harry Ramsdens tried to screw their customers and are now paying the price. I used to go there regularly, then suddenly the size of the meals was drastically reduced. I think they tried to turn it round by bragging that they weren't increasing their prices <_<

I haven't been there since and they've moved to a smaller and unpleasant location (in Old Trafford). They suffered when they stopped frying in dripping and got all healthy. Not the same :no:

As mentioned earlier if they have been taken over by Asians, they'll have moved to veg oil, not for health reasons but to make it Halal. :yp:

Best fish and chips I have ever had was at the Magpie cafe in Whitby stupendous fish chips and mushy peas

:good::good:

sodit

Yep, we've had some good f&c meals in there too. There's another great f&c restaurant in Plymouth, down in the Barbican area opposite the market, if a table isn't ready they ask you to wait in the pub next door then come and get you when it's ready.

My local chip shop Westcroft Fryers in Milton Keynes is pretty good, I like rock salmon, or whatever they call it these days, and that's always cooked to order.

Back in the 70's my wife and I used to drive into London to work, we used to go to a takeaway in Kensworth near Dunstable on the way home, the chip shop was attached to the owners house. It was an old couple, he used to do the serving and frying, she used to chuck the spuds into a hand operated machine that looked like a mangle that used to make the chips, they were cooked in beef dripping. They were only open a couple of nights a week and the queue stretched up the road. We used to drive up to Dunstable Downs a few minutes away and eat them before popping in the pub for a pint. Happy Days.

i tried it a few times if my boss was paying i would fail if i was paying i could always do it. its a shame the original is closing more than likely turn in to a polish supermarket or some **** like that another bit of Great Britain down the pan :( ho we have two chippy's kennys which is new but good and castle fisheries both within half mile in conisbrough

It is a shame as the 'shed' where it all began will disappear. I remember going when I was younger, we were queing out the door to get in :yes:

Went in the original Harry Ramsden's in the early 80's. At the time, I thought the interior was a bit tired, the antiquated queueing outside to get in and the fish and chips nothing special. Then compare that to the current Harry Ramsden's, which is truly awful.

I didn't fully appreciate it at the time. I'm not surprised they are struggling now.

I'm lucky, Grimsby docks is only a couple of miles away and this town is awash with chippies.

Haddock and Skate are the mainstay.there are over a dozen in a half mile radius of my house.

That being said, I have so many contacts in the fish game, I cook all mine at home.

Best tasting fish going....ask ProTom, he's sampled Grimsby finest a time or two from me.