best fish n chips,local to you?

hushpower

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wells really is a superb place to visit and although im not a f&C fan this is a great reason to go. :good:

Well I live in a fishing port where you would think good F & C would be a matter of course. We have two, both can be excellent in their day and the next time greasy and unpalatable. The most dependable F & C for a sit in meal is at the local branch of Morrisons, yea Billie the Gillie its 7 miles away :D

Blackpowder

Around the country our fav's are cod and Chips in Sheringham followed by ice cream at Ronaldo's on the same side of the road . A very good one in Windermere opp the Beatrix Potter Museaum , and a really great one in an alley off a square in Penrith, as recommended by Stuart Maconie, and he looks like he eats at as many chip shops as I do !

Edited by onefulham

oh come on.....

Big foot has an uncle/aunt/grandad/grandma (4) that live in a 44 (44) mile radius of each other

thus bigfoot relations 4/44 miles radius.....

does that clear it up for you?

:shaun:

NO

I still do not have a clue, what age group is it aimed at, or maybe I am from a different planet, sorry for being thick.

Last time I was in Falmouth I noticed Rick Stein's chippie had opened on the quay but you do need to take out a second mortgage to eat there.

Harbour Lights chippie in Falmouth is excellent and does beer batter and Maris Piper chips.

Not arf! It was well heavy on price and the portions were whack. Harbour lights is cracking, we'd grab a feed from there when we popped over on the ferry to get rag from the tackle shop up the hill.

Its all so hit and miss, most of what i buy is tasteless dry cod with overcooked chips, i had a sit down fish and chip meal in m.k. on saturday and it was ****. I complained and got a 95p discount. Seriously ive had nicer fish fingers. There is a good one in stoke mandeville called hi-tide, got pictures of jimmy saville on the wall eating his fish.

Try both, the Chain Locker is more Yachtie but downstairs at the Quayside always used to host some really good guest ales. . Couple of good restaurants at the back of the Chain Locker too.

I lived in Falmouth in 1995 for a while and have been back many many times since. Haven't been this year tho.

Top tips, will investigate at Crimbo.

Ever stopped at the chippy in Biscovey near St Austell. Ate there in 1997 and it was like nothing I'd ever tasted before, unbelievably good. Dropped in two years ago and it was utter utter jank. I gave it to the **** hawks.

A little ironic really that this thread is going when I heard on the news yesterday that Harry Ramsdens the original is to close down in its hay day it was the biz but as times change life is fast as so is the food standards lower gets franchises off now owned by Asians bet its a curry shop next year .

I had the best fish ever & I have travelled around as a shop fitter but asda have the best don't know if it's there own off the shelf but had it in asda cafe.

A little ironic really that this thread is going when I heard on the news yesterday that Harry Ramsdens the original is to close down in its hay day it was the biz but as times change life is fast as so is the food standards lower gets franchises off now owned by Asians bet its a curry shop next year .

I had the best fish ever & I have travelled around as a shop fitter but asda have the best don't know if it's there own off the shelf but had it in asda cafe.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-15969789

I used to love having the harrys challenge. One massive portion of f n c then you got a free pudding if you eat it all! May have to go one more time before it closes!

When I lived on Chafford Hundred (Grays Essx) the best fish n chips was a shop called Peggottys phone up and fish cooked to order so always fresh. When I moved there every raved about Mumfords but I never thought they were that great and the Harry Ramsdens on Lakeside was awful. Best fish and chips I have ever had was at the Magpie cafe in Whitby stupendous fish chips and mushy peas

:good::good:

sodit

Edited by sodit

When I lived on Chafford Hundred (Grays Essx) the best fish n chips was a shop called Peggottys phone up and fish cooked to order so always fresh. When I moved there every raved about Mumfords but I never thought they were that great and the Harry Ramsdens on Lakeside was awful. Best fish and chips I have ever had was at the Magpie cafe in Whitby stupendous fish chips and mushy peas

:good::good:

sodit

Harry Ramsdens tried to screw their customers and are now paying the price. I used to go there regularly, then suddenly the size of the meals was drastically reduced. I think they tried to turn it round by bragging that they weren't increasing their prices <_<

I haven't been there since and they've moved to a smaller and unpleasant location (in Old Trafford). They suffered when they stopped frying in dripping and got all healthy. Not the same :no: