Which knife??

Rabbitsnightmare

Opinel are great knives and cheap if you lose them and easy to sharpen.

Some will say about the high carbon blade tainting stuff but ive never noticed it !

2 main things i look for in a "rabbiting" type knife is a pointed blade level or down hill(drop point) and secondly that the blade is short ! 2" is as much of the knife as I use 90% of the time as you dont need any reall leght for hocking the legs nor for the half a mil to 1mil of belly skin when paunching.

So recomend Mora`s but personally i found mine to big for rabbit work.

Also if they only for you and friends then theres no need to worry about the wooden handle !

:good:

Yeah skinning, gutting and maybe whittling

mate anything sharp will do blade dont need to be any more than 2 inchs as its only the top inch of the blade that you will need for skinning and gutting,

i am a butcher and have a huge choice of knives i could use but i still only use my old swiss army pen knife for all i do out in the feild,

if you have a quick look on the video section you will see me butchering a venison carcass and half way through i use my pen knife to show you dont need any thing special,

colin

Mora carbon is cheap and takes a really good edge, like a razor, it also has a useful plastic hard sheath for safety and easy cleaning when gunky. The knife "clicks" into the sheath and won't fall out, handle is hard plastic with a rubbery centre section that is non slip when mucky.

On the down side, it doesn't have a proper clip point which means the end is too thin to incorporate a gut-hook. The carbon steel also corrodes faster than you'd think possible, which is a shame because the edge it takes is amazing but can be corroded away in a matter of hours.

Still, for £8 you can't have everything.

Dosnt anyone else find the mora`s just to big for rabbits !

My ideal knife woul be plastic handled folder, handle big enought to fill my hand but a blade only 1-1.5 inches long !

:good:

These have a nice little blade on them but for me need a bigger handle

http://www.moonrakerknives.co.uk/bruslettoh.html

You cant go to far wrong with a No 5 or No 6 Opinel ! :good:

Dosnt anyone else find the mora`s just to big for rabbits !

A bit. The point is too thin, it could do with the back of the point grinding down to more of a clip point, and as I wrote earlier, a nice little gut hook for unzipping.

At £8 I might modify one to see what's possible.

Despite the deficiencies, at the price it's a good tool.

I use a Mora, got the orange one and a fire steel for about £16 :good:

I'm looking for a good sharpener next, now using an Arkansas stone but feel I need something else to get really sharp, any advice please!

EDIT: Opinel No 6 on Amazon for £6.50 plus delivery, is that a good price?

Edited by jacksdad

I use a Mora, got the orange one and a fire steel for about £16 :good:

I'm looking for a good sharpener next, now using an Arkansas stone but feel I need something else to get really sharp, any advice please!

EDIT: Opinel No 6 on Amazon for £6.50 plus delivery, is that a good price?

I use a stainless Mora and a carbon Opinel. Prefer the Mora but the Opinel is usually in my pocket anyway and I am very forgetful... :blush:

I do have a really expensive hunting knife I was bought as a gift years ago. Can't tell you what it is as I put it away in a safe place and never actually use it.

£6.50 sounds OK, but you can order Opinel straight from the factory for really good prices. I ordered four different ones direct a few years back - a nice Oak handled jobby which is better to grip and three no. 6s that I leave in the three coats I am likely to go shooting in.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a stainless Mora and a carbon Opinel. Prefer the Mora but the Opinel is usually in my pocket anyway and I am very forgetful... :blush:

I do have a really expensive hunting knife I was bought as a gift years ago. Can't tell you what it is as I put it away in a safe place and never actually use it.

£6.50 sounds OK, but you can order Opinel straight from the factory for really good prices. I ordered four different ones direct a few years back - a nice Oak handled jobby which is better to grip and three no. 6s that I leave in the three coats I am likely to go shooting in.

hi there , i have used the clipper before and a pukko but now have a hand made woodlore style knife which has a drop point , its ultra sharp and made from o1 tool steel with red deer antler scales , it was expensive but will last me a life time , i also do a bit of wood carving and i have a tip for you , buy a block of flexcut gold honing compound , once you sharpen your blade apply this to a strop and you can really get the knife and carving chisel ultra sharp, i take some out in the field with me as you can apply it to wood ,inside of belt ,anything like that and sharpen your knife there and then if its a bit dull , think a bar cost about 6 pounds and will last years .

Peter