Express hunting steel

Today I walked to the bend on a small river which always holds a few ducks. I loaded 3 express hunting steel cartridges 32gm 3's as i approached. The first two ducks rose some 20 yards away and I dropped a mallard drake wit the first shot. I fired both 2nd and 3rd shots and the hen now 30-35yards taking feathers both times. but she flew on strongly.

I reloaded as quickly as possible with 3 more of the same carts as the shots had rose another dozen or so mallard. At least 3 of these presented me with a very easy shot,I selected a 35 yard crosser flying slowly as they had just taken off. I fired all 3 shots at this bird again taking feathers with at least two shots and it also flew away.

I felt really annoyed not because I could easily had 4 or 5 birds instead of 1, but the fact that both the other birds flew off quite obviously hit and will die.

Anyone else had any experience with these shells? All shots were from a benelli auto with 1/4 choke at max 35yds in broad daylight.

Today I walked to the bend on a small river which always holds a few ducks. I loaded 3 express hunting steel cartridges 32gm 3's as i approached. The first two ducks rose some 20 yards away and I dropped a mallard drake wit the first shot. I fired both 2nd and 3rd shots and the hen now 30-35yards taking feathers both times. but she flew on strongly.

I reloaded as quickly as possible with 3 more of the same carts as the shots had rose another dozen or so mallard. At least 3 of these presented me with a very easy shot,I selected a 35 yard crosser flying slowly as they had just taken off. I fired all 3 shots at this bird again taking feathers with at least two shots and it also flew away.

I felt really annoyed not because I could easily had 4 or 5 birds instead of 1, but the fact that both the other birds flew off quite obviously hit and will die.

Anyone else had any experience with these shells? All shots were from a benelli auto with 1/4 choke at max 35yds in broad daylight.

Get some practice.

Im not certain I can blame my self this time. There was enough feathers came out to stuff a pillow. Dont get me wrong I do miss a few (missed 3 woodcock last sunday and didnt blame carts). But having shot over 50 duck this year I can recognise a hit when I see one. Maybe they just dont suit my gun. I must pattern a few tomorrow evening. Would you all agree gamebore mammoth to be a good benchmark for steel shot?

I used to use Express shells a lot and their steel were OK. But over the past two years they have gone downhill. I guy on another forum tested the 3 inch loads and only got 850 fps , the same load in Gamebore are 1300 fps and in Remmington 1450fps. A couple of mates got a case of the 70mm steel loads and they were hopless to say the least. They disposed of them in the end. Try some gamebore and see how you get on with them. A lot better I suspect.

Edited by anser2

I know lots are going to disagree with me on this, but...

Personally I have never got on with express cartridges.

Over priced, don't cycle well unless you buy the most expensive ones.

Rubbish in a semi since they make almost no carts 70mm long.

Forget them, almost any other cartridge will do.

O/U or SxS cartridges only in my opinion.

Bulldust! :yes: Take a look at Just Cartridges and compare lengths with other makes.

Bulldust! :yes: Take a look at Just Cartridges and compare lengths with other makes.

Well after going on http://www.lyalvaleexpress.com

And using the following options on the drop downs:

Game Cartridges

Fibre wad

70mm case length

I get 2 choices:

Super Game 32g Fibre £262/1000

Europa supreme 32g Fibre £297/1000

Not much of a choice I'd say, also looking at Just Cartridges these are on the expensive side for pigeon shooting.

Edited by chris t

Im not certain I can blame my self this time. There was enough feathers came out to stuff a pillow. Dont get me wrong I do miss a few (missed 3 woodcock last sunday and didnt blame carts). But having shot over 50 duck this year I can recognise a hit when I see one. Maybe they just dont suit my gun. I must pattern a few tomorrow evening. Would you all agree gamebore mammoth to be a good benchmark for steel shot?

Woodcock I have to agree with you about hittin these ducks and them flying on, we had the same experiences shootin pigeons with steel shot, I'd never use that **** again for live birds, we reckon the steel was goin right through the birds and destroyin then inside only to fall dead within an hour, we watched pigeons that were hit hard (almost plucked) fly into trees only to fall out dead within 10/15 minutes.

One question though - you said you missed Woodcock last Sunday Don't you mean Saturday ? :o

Guest cookoff013

I used to use Express shells a lot and their steel were OK. But over the past two years they have gone downhill. I guy on another forum tested the 3 inch loads and only got 850 fps , the same load in Gamebore are 1300 fps and in Remmington 1450fps. A couple of mates got a case of the 70mm steel loads and they were hopless to say the least. They disposed of them in the end. Try some gamebore and see how you get on with them. A lot better I suspect.

totally agree, some steel shells are just too slow, just to avoid the speed limit at the proofhouse.

i`ve got a remedy,

step 1, buy some gamebore or remington steel, stick to 3s or even 2s.

step 2, enjoy.

One question though - you said you missed Woodcock last Sunday Don't you mean Saturday ? :o

No certainly sunday, I only missed 1 on saturday :P I travel west on the odd sunday, I have a good bit of shooting in donegal through some of my fishing contacts.

I noticed less than satisfactory results before with express namely their special pigeon. Think I'll try another brand of steel. Anyway Im off now to shoot a few timberdoodle's.

P-mx what type of steel shells were they? There is nothing wrong with good quality steel shells , ie gamebore when shooting pigeons. I have shot thousands of pigeon with steel and given the choice they are my prefered shell as i get a better kills to shots ratio. My only gripe with steel is they are a little bit punchy in a game gun if you shoot 100s in a day through it.

The problem some people have with steel is they used it years ago when it was not very good. The quality steel shell of today is a very different beast.

The problem some people have with steel is they used it years ago when it was not very good. The quality steel shell of today is a very different beast.

To be frank steel was/is rubbish. I fall in to this camp.

We all have to keep an open mind so i've splashed out and bought a few 20 bore steel duck shells. What do you reckon to these babies? I am assured they are pretty darn good?

I'll see how I get on.

Rem_1.jpg

Rem_2.jpg

P-mx what type of steel shells were they?

Anser they were Express steel, they were a clear shell in 7's, can't mind much more about them as we were well sickened usin them :no: we did try GB (orange) clay loads with a Lot more success ! But we stay well away from steel now if we can.

Anser they were Express steel, they were a clear shell in 7's, can't mind much more about them as we were well sickened usin them :no: we did try GB (orange) clay loads with a Lot more success ! But we stay well away from steel now if we can.

May be because they were 7 's which effectively become 9's in steel and don't have as much stopping power :hmm: I may be wrong. Inuse gamebore mammoths no 3's for duck and they work perfectly well :good:

As already mentioned no 7 in steel is pretty usless for shooting live game at any range over 25 yards. Try some no 4 or even no 3 and you will see a hell of a difference.

Whitebridges they should do the job fine to 40 yards , but I bet they cost you a bob or two. Remmies are probably the best shop bought steel on the market and I use them for 12 bore 3.5 inch loads for geese in BBB and no 2 for mallard. Let us know how you get on with them.

Floating chamber i can only guess Lydale\Express have fixed their problem or you have some of the old stock. The shells they have produced in the past few years have been very ineffective right across their range of steel. A mate got 250 last season and after a day without killing any pigeons outright and sending a dozen away trailing feathers the last 200 were dumped in a deep hole.

Edited by anser2

:good:

Never liked Express either, inconsistant I dont give a toss what anyone says, I shoot nearly 100% Gamebore and trust them, Gamebore Steel are top quality