Farmer's problem

30-6

Talking to a farmer yesterday who had just had a visit from the FEO.

He holds a 5 shot shotgun on an FAC, which is used on troublesome foxes and dogs once in a blue moon as he has a local boy foxing for him who is good.

When the FEO came he was adamant that the farmer was breaking the law if he did use the gun on fox or dog as on his liscence it is stated "crop protection". Bearing in mind that he grows no crops and is beef and sheep farming, and this has never been a problem before, is the FEO just being a bit awkward?

I think the problem lies in the wording crop protection, and if this was changed there would be no problem.

It seems a bit stupid that I could go up there and shoot a fox with my SGC (which as you know does not stipulate use), but he can't with his FAC, although we would be using the same land/cartridge. Is the wording of an FAC literally held to the letter as far as shotgun use is concerned.

I told him I would ask on this forum as there was "many learned members who would know the the answer" to his plight. At the moment he is awaiting enquiries from the NFU, but any input from here would be appreciated.

I did consider an FAC shotgun but when I looked into the restrictions of use I decided 3 shots would be enough.

I would say that the FEO is correct. You may think he's being awkward but he is technically right. Crop Protection does not cover the Cattle etc.

As others have said, get the wording changed.

I suggest he requests his conditions are changed to the same as mine which reads

........ The 12 bore smoothbore shotgun to which this certificate relates shall be used for the destruction of vermin, pest control and sporting pourposes..................

It will then cover virtually anything he should wish to use it for.