6.5x55 Ammunition

What are you feeding yours?

At present i have some Winchester CX2(?) 140g SP

Hornady Interlock 140g SP

Privi 139g SP

It was what i could get hold of at the time. What do you use, bearing in mind that they will be primarily used for Red deer with some CWD/Muntjac/Fox work too.

Edit; The rifle is a Tikka T3 which has i belice a 1:10 twist

Cheers

Beretta

Edited by Beretta28g

Federal 140g SP normally, Winchester Sx2 140g SP on occasion. Sako 156g SP for Boar.

Just about to start reloading with some Hornady 140g SPs.

Ill try and get federal, but it looks like ill have to order at least 200 rounds, so id like to try a few first. All my local gunshops dont stock 6.5, reloading may be the route to go.

Are the winnies very accurate?

Mine loved Federal Powershok 140gn Hated Fed Fusion.. went from Cloverleaf to 2" groupings!!! repeatable test so I know it's the ammo it didn't like.

I now load my own and use 140gn Nosler Partitions over Varget.. 1 raggedy hole @ 100m every time! :yes:

6.5x55 T3 is 1:8 BTW

Edited by Vipa

Well dont use someones experience who shoots 300+ deer a year then...

How long will 200 last you?

My 25-06 is £44 box!

And go to a decent gunshop were you dont have to buy 200!

When in Norfolk i have found Lings to be very good. Bought single boxes from them in the past....

I will proberbily go through maybee 50 rounds a year, but in the first year i will be using more.

But with about 100 mile round trip for me to get to a stockist i dont want to keep nipping there to try different stuff.

Im going to have to get some Federal.

What price are you paying for 20?

Hornaday £24-50

I will proberbily go through maybee 50 rounds a year, but in the first year i will be using more.

But with about 100 mile round trip for me to get to a stockist i dont want to keep nipping there to try different stuff.

Im going to have to get some Federal.

What price are you paying for 20?

Hornaday £24-50

The fed powershoks shoot really well in my Steyr. Winnie open up a little but still acceptable. Priivvi are horrendous in mine though. I have some privvi fmjs and some Norma 120 bts for sale in other sales btw

Thanks for the offer, but i dont have a use for FMJ and hertfordshire is a very long way from norfolk.

It's been a little while but I seem to remember Powershoks being about £28/box Fusions £32.

Privi... will do the job but if your Tikka is anything like mine you won't get consistent shot placement.... not good! certainly in my experience! At Bisley earlier in the year, there was a guy who was shooting Privi through his .308...... They were keyholing.... at 100yds!!!!!! :blink: :blink:

10" of twist seems slow for the Swede. My T3 was 8 1/4" IIRC :hmm: They are a fast twist based on them shooting upto 160grains, like long pencils them are!

Anyway, just out of interest my T3 shot Hornady 129 grain softpoints and their 95grain Vmax pretty much to the same POA at 100yds and the scope was next to nothing off centered turrets!

Good rifle it was. H414 I used in mine

U.

10" of twist seems slow for the Swede. My T3 was 8 1/4" IIRC :hmm: They are a fast twist based on them shooting upto 160grains, like long pencils them are!

U.

that was my bad UD, i thought it was 1/10, obviously not and thanks for putting me straight too :lol:

anyhow, i'm using norma 156gr alaskans at the moment, had to order 200 at a time from nth walsham, not a common round unfortunately, and i'm still considering changing to .243, but they seem to work quite well in my tikka, and like pete i'm only using a few boxes a year. the normas are a bit big for fox though so i'm collecting brass so a friend can reload some 120gr & 85gr softpoints, i'll try these out on fox in future, but i'm missing my win 70 22/250 for foxing, perfect tool for the job.

that was my bad UD, i thought it was 1/10, obviously not and thanks for putting me straight too :lol:

anyhow, i'm using norma 156gr alaskans at the moment, had to order 200 at a time from nth walsham, not a common round unfortunately, and i'm still considering changing to .243, but they seem to work quite well in my tikka, and like pete i'm only using a few boxes a year. the normas are a bit big for fox though so i'm collecting brass so a friend can reload some 120gr & 85gr softpoints, i'll try these out on fox in future, but i'm missing my win 70 22/250 for foxing, perfect tool for the job.

I may still be wrong, I'm now thinking 71/4"!! Any way best of luck.

I tried a Win mod70 in 22-250, the light one. Cracking rifle :yes:

U.

I used to use 130gr Barnes TSX home loads in mine. Before that I used home loaded Speer 140gr SP. Factory wise 140gr Federal Premium shot to under an inch and the Norma 156gr Alaska was even tighter (although I felt they may be a bit heavy for what I was using it for).

Tikka barrels are a 1/8 twist in 6.5x55. Don't know about others.

Finally got to fire the Swede today!!!

Winchester are OK at 50 yards but dont group that well maybe 2'' at 100yds.

Privi will shoot a 1'' group at 50yds and 1.5'' at 100yds (some of that may have been me s i was hurrying as it was coming on to rain)

Hornady are accurate grouping inside a 50p peice, at 100yds and touching each other.

Well pleased for a new rifle, now i just need more practice!

100yds 3 shots Hornady 140g Interlock

That will kill all the deer I know,

6.5x55 cracking calibre.

ps I use federal premium or privi, have to say when the federal is all used up it will be privi as it does the job and I dont target shoot.

never reloaded but guess that would be the best, I am told, but have no idea that the federal brass is good for reloading and the privi not so good :good: