Out of season fallow?

flytie

I know what the Deerquest CD rom says (thank you Stuart) about what you should do if you find a deer carcass on the road, but riddle me this one chaps;

You are going out to stalk a roe buck and on the main road which goes through the middle of your permission you see a lorry strike a fallow stag. It is killed, you stop to move it off the road and with closer examination you find there is little/no damage to the carcass.

What would your next move be?

Ft

Phone the old Bill and report a deer RTA, Then either offer to the control room or if the rozzers turn up offer to them to remove it.They are able to authorise you to remove the carass on behalf of the highway's authority.Make sure you get a control room referance number.Then if you are stopped by a different copper 10 miles down the road you have covered your ****.

What does the deerquest cdrom say out of interest.

Reefman

Phone the old Bill and report a deer RTA, Then either offer to the control room or if the rozzers turn up offer to them to remove it.They are able to authorise you to remove the carass on behalf of the highway's authority.Make sure you get a control room referance number.Then if you are stopped by a different copper 10 miles down the road you have covered your ****.

What does the deerquest cdrom say out of interest.

Reefman

Reefman, It says you should, "Dispose of the carcass safely" and "make sure it does not enter the food chain".

Ft

I personally would not eat the carcass and i would dispose of it in what ever way you would normally dispose of a carcass that was unfit for human consumption.

Male Fallow are called Bucks not Stags

Idid not say the carcass was unfit for human consumption I said "little or no damage".

I thought they were properly called Harts, but commonly called stags (at least by the stalkers I know). Roe are Bucks I thought?

Ft

What Deer :no::/

:yes::P:P:good:

Top Man.

Ft

Many years ago , before all the current legislation (and life was a lot simpler), I was witness to a deer being struck by a van and killed.

The carcase appeared unmarked (unlike the van) and my friend and I removed it in the back of his landrover.

When it had been cleaned and skinned, the carcase showed massive signs of body trauma, it was almost one complete bruise.

We did not fancy eating it and gave it to the local Royal Engineers for their beagle pack.

Nowadays, I think I would drag it to the side of the road (making sure it was dead), advise the police and be on my way. :good:

Sorry miffy, just looked on the BDS site and you are quite right about the correct name being Buck these days :good: , formally they were known as harts. As in the White Hart pub signs that you see about.

Ft

A hart is a RED deer over five years of age. Don't believe every pub sign you see!! Even they get red and fallow mixed up.

Red - stag and hind

Fallow - buck and doe

Roe - buck and doe

Muntjac - buck and doe

Sika - stag and hind

Reindeer/caribou - bull and cow

CWD - buck and doe

Moose - bull and cow............etc. etc.

chuck it in the back of the truck and be on my way

i have done this before and will do it agaian last year i picked up a fallow yearling it was still warm there was nothing wrong with it at all.if it was knackered i would give it to the dogs.

but i suppose its where you live i live in the middle of nowhere and chances are the coppers probabley know me. :good: saves them alot of paperwork

Sorry miffy, just looked on the BDS site and you are quite right about the correct name being Buck these days :good: , formally they were known as harts. As in the White Hart pub signs that you see about.

Ft

I know :no::/

I still would not eat the carcass.

i have done this before and will do it agaian last year i picked up a fallow yearling it was still warm there was nothing wrong with it at all.if it was knackered i would give it to the dogs.

but i suppose its where you live i live in the middle of nowhere and chances are the coppers probabley know me. :good: saves them alot of paperwork

somthing to think about!!!!

if (and this is just an if mind ) a vet has been out and had to put the beast down with wot ever injection then the meat will be no good to eat and will posibly kill wotever or whoever eats it. this story was put to me by a basc rep at a course i attended a few weeks ago

cheers kirky

but i suppose its where you live i live in the middle of nowhere and chances are the coppers probabley know me. :no: saves them alot of paperwork

somthing to think about!!!!

if (and this is just an if mind ) a vet has been out and had to put the beast down with wot ever injection then the meat will be no good to eat and will posibly kill wotever or whoever eats it. this story was put to me by a basc rep at a course i attended a few weeks ago

cheers kirky

Yes but it was stated that he saw the lorry hit and kill the deer! So in this case fill your face! :good:

ok berti farenough only giving you somthing to think about

as i wouldnt even feed a carcus found dead to my dog !!! :no:

aa when you find a dead animal you dont no how long its been dead or wot it died from poison disease etc

better to be safe i think :good:

cheers kirky

A hart is a RED deer over five years of age. Don't believe every pub sign you see!! Even they get red and fallow mixed up.

Red - stag and hind

Fallow - buck and doe

Roe - buck and doe

Muntjac - buck and doe

Sika - stag and hind

Reindeer/caribou - bull and cow

CWD - buck and doe

Moose - bull and cow............etc. etc.

:good::no::no: Invector, you are right, again! Sorry I was talking rubbish about harts chaps. Another gap in my already failing memory .............

Just been googling Hart and the general concensus seems to be a red stag at 6 years old, although some say 4 and others 5.

Ft

ok berti farenough only giving you somthing to think about

as i wouldnt even feed a carcus found dead to my dog !!! :/

aa when you find a dead animal you dont no how long its been dead or wot it died from poison disease etc

better to be safe i think :no:

cheers kirky

Well said. :good:

Back in 92, i did the same thing, picked up a RTA deer and it was still warmish.

Took it back and because it was so damaged, fed it to 2 of my lurchers.

They both came down with Botulism ( very serious food poisoning) :no: and took a week to recover and nearly never made it.

One of them had a weak heart after the incedent and never really got over it. :P

Not to be recomended. :no:

Frank.