How far

Wriggler

How far will pigeons move off their flight path to get to decoys?

I have a couple of flight lines about 150 yards apart would I be able to get the birds from them both with one set of decoys etc or would I be better off with two of us?

150 yards is a long way from ideal but it can be done if most other variables are favourable. On some days you can turn pigeon from three times that distance with a whirly for instance. If it were me I'd pick the stronger of the two (or at least the one that makes a hide site easier) and hope to pull those in and tempt a few from the other path at the same time.

Depends if the birds are feeding on the ground where the decoys are.

If its just grass and the flight line is going to a nice tasty rape field, I very much doubt anything will come in

If that was the case, Id probably not bother with any decoys, and just get under the flight line.

It's across a rape field into a wood, I've had a bit of success on one of the flight lines at the back end of last year but they seem to be moving across onto another one as well.

When they leave the wood it's either through the other side of the wood, not on my permission, or in a big flock.

• 3 weeks later...

In this situation and on my own I was taught by the late great Major Archie Coats and John Batley of the Shooting Times to put your vehicle under the other flight line but before you are exactly opposite it so the birds will veer off towards your decoys.

John had a white Land Rover LWB especially for the job.

They can see your decoys perfectly at 150yds and more.

It has worked for me over the years around 8 out of 10 times. ;)

Edited by COACH

I would be influenced by the wind strength, if it is quite strong the birds stay low and I would stick to one line. It is worth remembering the when the birds are ganged up (as they usually this time of year ), they have a great tendency to follow wings, and the stronger the line the greater the urge to follow it. Occationally small is best. Good luck whatever you decide. PS If you do,nt have a white landrover try using sheets of newspaper on bits of stick, upside is that it is biodegradeable, if you do,nt pick it up it just rots. LOTW