What Air Rifle for Barn / Yard Clearing

sepulchre

I have permition to shoot on 5 farms in shropshire :P generally I use a .22LR, .243 and a shotgun for rabbit, squirrel, fox, pigeon, crow etc, however I have been approached by two of the farmers to clear some barns of pigeons, obviously the thought of using the .243 as appealing as that may seem is most certainly going to raise some eyebrows so I have decided I need an Air Rifle for the job! And to be honest what i know about them i could write on the back of a stamp, however you guys seem to know your stuff, so can i have some advice please covering the following:

1) Type of cocking ie. break barrel etc

2) .177 or .22 what about .25?

3) Would need ability to mount a scope, i have a spare 30mm tube 4-12 x 50 hawke endurance...Too Big?

4) Reliability is a must

5) Budget approx £300 i think

6) Wood or synthetic?

7) Does it need to be moderated - advatages/disadvatages

8) Maintainence? Do they have to be serviced? How Much?

The best gun for the job is a what ? Do not want it FAC as this brings complications in its own right

Many Thanks Dave :good:

don't think using the .243 would be a good idea :lol:

1) it depends how much money you want to spend obviously a pcp allows quicker shots as you only have to bolt the gun and not actually break it to cock it. also pcp (pre charged pneumatic) are a lot quieter. With pcps you pump them up manually with a stirrup pump or diving bottle. Once filled you have a certain number of shots per charge. my hw100k probably takes 60-70 shots before it needs to be refilled. It has a 14 shot clip and a side lever action. If you go for the cheaper option and get a break barrel or undelever you have to cock the gun (either break the barrel or pull the lever down) every shot and manually insert a pellet.

2.i think .22 is a perfect pellet for ferals and general vermin (others will disagree)-it packs more of a punch than .177,but as its a heavy pellet it drops off quicker at range. .177 are a lot flatter and generally travel a little faster and are more accurate but the wind effects this size more than .22. i know nothing of .25 except its bigger and drops off even more than a .22 and delivers an incredible whack!

3) that scope is perfect for an air gun definitely not to big-id definitely use a scope other open sights anyway.

4)go for any of the big names: weihrauch,air arms,theoben,day state,falcon,maybe FX definitely not SMK! oops nearly forgot BSA

5)may be able to get a cheap pcp second hand for that but not a new multishot that I'm aware of. for undlevers id recommend either the weihrauch hw77 or hw97,theoben evolution,air arms tx200. Break barrels definitely a weihrauch hw80 or maybe a cheap BSA lightning. again all theses guns can be bought cheaper second hand have a look on the guns for sale on this website.

6)that is completely up to you,if you don't want to particularly look after it go for synthetic as it won't scratch or bruise like wood does.

7)definitely have a silencer although spring guns are loud anyway (compared to PCPs)

8)You can manually clean uses ureself and spring guns in my eyes hardly ever have to be serviced. Pcps are a lot mopre technical and may require a service from time to time (like a car) to keep them running at optimum.

if you can afford it get a pcp if thou can't get one of the springers i mentioned

hope this helps

tom

Edited by tomhw100

Do you want cheap tool to do the job or something more long term ?

What kind of distance ?

Do you want a 'springer' or a PCP with the need for airpump or cylinder ?

You can buy something from Stoeger for around £110 upwards, break barrel, in .177 or .22

4-12x50 will be fine at air rifle ranges and a bit more,

If it's just for ferals around buildings then I'd agree that .22 is probably best as .177 is more likely to zip straight through at shorter ranges.

PCP with a mod will be best but more expensive and you need a means of filling it.

For 300 you could get a second hand BSA Ultra, nice and compact but low shot count, or an Air Arms s200 (not as sexy as the s400 but very good non the less) , or a Hatsan, Falcon, Login or Fx.

If you can't be doing with filling gear etc then any spring rifle by Air Arms, Wierhauch will be decent. In fact I think UK Poacher has a Air Arms pro sport .22 on Gun Watch for 250.

Edited by FalconFN

9 ftlbs fair decent if you have the time the can be moded to do weird and wonderful things :yes:

i aint got 1 just have heard people singing the praises

and for £5 ish for 200 shots not to bad

modded aye? :lol: use one gas canister a shot giving 40lbs! 200 shots sounds loads! I'm not disagreeing though as i don't know how many shots they average. seriously though i know its not expensive to buy them really- although if you are into plinking you could probably start amassing a fair sum of money for them. you just have to keep buying them all the time you'd want a fair few spare so you don't have to keep going to the gun shop.

King Ratty would prob be best enough power for the job in hand and not enough to go through bird in barn roof and out the other side and then through the roof a 12lb one will go through bird and roof and farmers dont seem to like that bit.

12lb 22. Doesn't always go through pigeons In fact hardly ever...and I should know because I've shot 100s in and around barns( not including woodies in woods and what have you) even at close range a well aimed heart/ chest shot won't go through...a 177 may do but that's why you would get a 22. Rat catchers are not the best option in my eyes like I said if you don't want to use it for anything else and are happy shooting no further thn 20 yds be my guest,if you want a proper hunting rifle and not just a cheap alternative I'd definitely go for something else.

Edited by tomhw100

As some of the gents on here have mentioned the TX200 and it is a superb underlever action spring powered air-rifle.

The rifle that i will always recommend is the superb Weihrauch HW80 break-barrel action Spring rifle.This particular rifle is one of the best spring guns ever made!You could pick either rifles up secondhand in and around your budget!

If you want a PCP gun then obviously they come more pricier.If your going to do a lot of Air-rifle shooting then you may want to consider going down the PCP road.

ATB.

As some of the gents on here have mentioned the TX200 and it is a superb underlever action spring powered air-rifle.

The rifle that i will always recommend is the superb Weihrauch HW80 break-barrel action Spring rifle.This particular rifle is one of the best spring guns ever made!You could pick either rifles up secondhand in and around your budget!

If you want a PCP gun then obviously they come more pricier.If your going to do a lot of Air-rifle shooting then you may want to consider going down the PCP road.

ATB.

Thank you a man that speaks sense! Hw80= best break barrel ever made!

Before you buy an air rifle ask the farmer if he would mind someone chasing the pigeons out with a landing net while, a few guns shoot them. On one of my permissions the farmer wanted his white dove/pigeons thinning out. He had a few hundred and they fly between the same two barns that are about 400 yardsapart as the crow flys. So my dad, myself and two mates positioned ourselves between the two barn and took turns waving the landing net around inside the barns. He is now happy with only 40 pigeons left. It was like a driven pigeon shoot. Great fun! :good:

also PCPS have practically no recoil-so are generally more accurate...although i suppose you are used to recoil having a .243!

Many Thanks for your input Tom I'm thinking along the lines of a TX200 or a Weihauch HW97 Varient as there kind of in my price bracket, the TX200 thread lead me to a comparison review between both - I Likey :good: