Factory rounds for 243 Howa

pat g

Have'nt had a lot of time to spend with the Howa 243 so still really at the experimental stage trying to find a suitable round.

I'm hoping to find a factory round that i can use for Fox and Roe as i've been advised by a stalker, in his exact words to "find one that suits your rifle and stick with it". I've tried 20 rnds of Winchester silver tips 95gr, 20rnds of Federal 100gr soft points which were both not to bad considering its still a relatively new barrel. I also tried Privi 100gr soft points which to my surprise and annoyance (as they only cost £13) :angry: delivered appalling performance. The rifle just simply did'nt like them.

So guys i'm open to any recomendations especially from Howa owners on what factory ammo you're using. Eventually i will be reloading as i sold my gear some years ago when i had a spell away from shooting. Wish i'd never sold my press :hmm: . Big mistake. Thanks in advance :good:

ATB,

Pat

Your never able to answer that for sure. I should just stick to the 95 or 100grn stuff in factory .243", less can often create issues with roe as regards meat damage or in extreame cases wounding. Its not so hard to re-zero between foxing and stalking visits, especially if your on pay for the day stalking.

The best alround Roe and Fox bullet in the .243 win i have found is the 95grn Nosler b/tip BTW, not sure if its loaded in a factory round

Have'nt had a lot of time to spend with the Howa 243 so still really at the experimental stage trying to find a suitable round.

I'm hoping to find a factory round that i can use for Fox and Roe as i've been advised by a stalker, in his exact words to "find one that suits your rifle and stick with it". I've tried 20 rnds of Winchester silver tips 95gr, 20rnds of Federal 100gr soft points which were both not to bad considering its still a relatively new barrel. I also tried Privi 100gr soft points which to my surprise and annoyance (as they only cost £13) :angry: delivered appalling performance. The rifle just simply did'nt like them.

So guys i'm open to any recomendations especially from Howa owners on what factory ammo you're using. Eventually i will be reloading as i sold my gear some years ago when i had a spell away from shooting. Wish i'd never sold my press :hmm: . Big mistake. Thanks in advance :good:

ATB,

Pat

Don't give up on them until you have tried the PRVI 90g SP! Certainly worth a box to try!

I have a Howa in .243. Mine hated Prvi 100gr, dont know about the 90gr but I heard only there .308 stuff was only the half decent stuff, as in accuracy. Mine liked federal 100gr and winchester silver tip 95gr. But in the end due to rip off bullet prices and poor accuracy. I bought a .243 Lee loader, not a massive reloading device fits in the palm of your hand, and I now reload my own bullets, get far superior accuracy for a fraction of the cost plus its kind of relaxing making bullets. I can get 3 shots in same hole at 100m and at 200m; although havent tried further but I bet they are still accurate :yes:

I have a Howa in .243. Mine hated Prvi 100gr, dont know about the 90gr but I heard only there .308 stuff was only the half decent stuff, as in accuracy. Mine liked federal 100gr and winchester silver tip 95gr. But in the end due to rip off bullet prices and poor accuracy. I bought a .243 Lee loader, not a massive reloading device fits in the palm of your hand, and I now reload my own bullets, get far superior accuracy for a fraction of the cost plus its kind of relaxing making bullets. I can get 3 shots in same hole at 100m and at 200m; although havent tried further but I bet they are still accurate :yes:

PRVI ammo is excellent VFM. As is so often the case, different barrels like different ammo, my .223 (55g SP), .243 (90g SP) and .308 (150g SP) can all shoot 1" with PRVI. My .308 is a Rem 700 and and on my suggestion a pal with another Rem 700 .308 tried the same 150g PRVI SP, he struggled to get a 3" group, I seem to remember it was more like 4", yet mine put them all in 1".

Many expensive ammo brands will give mixed results in different rifles! :yes::good:

• 4 weeks later...

Seems we are off again with this one, couple of points.......

1. For whatever reason 100g can be an issue in some .243.

2. Just because one type/weight/brand of ammo did not seem to work in the BRAND NEW rifle, don't necessarily rule it out after the barrel is run in.

ATB!