Thrifty Shooting in austere times

Blunderbuss

In the mood of the times I thought it might be an idea to gather together in one thread, all those great ideas for saving money on shooting related stuff. There have been loads on here over the years, but as they're scattered all over the forum, they can be hard to find. Simple rules:

• Got to be related to shooting
  • Got to save money, or even be free :good:
  • Nothing too complicated to make (the DIY section is better for that).

I'll start it off with a few "recycled" ideas :blush:

Free bore guide: An empty 20 bore case with the primer punched out makes a reasonable cleaning rod bore guide for CZ rimfire rifles.

Free magnet batteries: Get yourself down to the battery point at your local tip/recycling centre. There will usually be loads of 12V dry cell batteries from domestic alarms, many of which will be fine after a charge. Ask the staff before you lift them :good:

Cheap shotgun cleaning patches: Ready made patches for shotgun cleaning are expensive. Using one as a guide though, draw a grid on an old cotton T-Shirt you are chucking out and cut out the rectangular patches with scissors. You may need to experiment and increase the size a little if the material isn't as thick. Half an hour and a couple of T-Shirts and you'll have enough to last you yonks. Even cheaper! Kitchen roll, carefully folded round your jag does a good job too.

Edited by Blunderbuss

Best bargain I've had is a broken Sony camcorder (£10 ish from fleabay) that I use on my scope as a night vision add-on. It won't record but the viewfinder works perfectly which is all I need.

Also green plastic-covered garden canes and a rubber O-ring make excellent shooting sticks for less than a fiver (there are posts on the DIY section.

follwing on from the cleaning patch thing.. I also always used kitchen roll... 1 sheet makes a great cleaning plug to push through and works better than a patch but I recently bought a 6 roll pack of workshop cleaning roll (the blue stuff used in garages etc..) cost me £8 at Euro carparts and works just as well as kitchen roll... the difference is there is about 100 x more material on a roll than on a roll of kitchen stuff ao will work out at least 100 x cheaper!! even the wife pinches it now for kitchen duties!

It is perforated, tear one full piece off and roll it up/stuff it in the barrel of your 12g... push through with rod and it will remove all residue after a soaking or a phosy bronze brushing :good:

As for the tips with the old t-shirts etc, my mate sprays tons of Legia etc onto kitchen roll to give his guns the final wipe etc before putting them away - use an old bit of t-shirt and then keep it in a zip-top sandwich bag, you only have to spray it about every three uses, and eventually it is so soaked with oil etc, you can just keep re-using it, rather than paying for a fancy silicone-impregnated jobby.

Also, if you are fairly good with your hands - repair, rather than replace! I had the zip on my clay shooting vest break and at the same time I picked up a top quality, as-new Browning shotgun slip from the 'bay for a fiver, with a broken zip. A trawl around found a horse tackle supplier who sold me 10 metres of Zip and all the ends/fittings for £5.99 inc postage, couple of hours with a sewing machine - another £100+ saved.

I know this might sound flippin' obvious, but - shop around! I am applying for FAC and need a bigger/extra cabinet and an ammo safe etc, etc. Simply by spending about ten hours over a week or so (rather than watching #### on TV !), trawling the net and Fleabay etc, I have saved well over £100, sometimes you don't have to have that essential item just this minute, you can often pick it up cheaper on amazon, etc.

Also, in this day of fuel costs, club together and "spend to save" if you can afford it, by three of us splitting the fuel costs in a mate's van, as well as saving up to buy more, by buying cartridges at least a couple of thou each from the cheap cartridge bloke (who lives about 50 miles away), we saved the fuel and made a bit as well, it isn't as if the money would have made anything in the bank!

Edited by Bloke

As for the tips with the old t-shirts etc, my mate sprays tons of Legia etc onto kitchen roll to give his guns the final wipe etc before putting them away - use an old bit of t-shirt and then keep it in a zip-top sandwich bag, you only have to spray it about every three uses, and eventually it is so soaked with oil etc, you can just keep re-using it, rather than paying for a fancy silicone-impregnated jobby.

Also, if you are fairly good with your hands - repair, rather than replace! I had the zip on my clay shooting vest break and at the same time I picked up a top quality, as-new Browning shotgun slip from the 'bay for a fiver, with a broken zip. A trawl around found a horse tackle supplier who sold me 10 metres of Zip and all the ends/fittings for £5.99 inc postage, couple of hours with a sewing machine - another £100+ saved.

I know this might sound flippin' obvious, but - shop around! I am applying for FAC and need a bigger/extra cabinet and an ammo safe etc, etc. Simply by spending about ten hours over a week or so (rather than watching #### on TV !), trawling the net and Fleabay etc, I have saved well over £100, sometimes you don't have to have that essential item just this minute, you can often pick it up cheaper on amazon, etc.

Also, in this day of fuel costs, club together and "spend to save" if you can afford it, by three of us splitting the fuel costs in a mate's van, as well as saving up to buy more, by buying cartridges at least a couple of thou each from the cheap cartridge bloke (who lives about 50 miles away), we saved the fuel and made a bit as well, it isn't as if the money would have made anything in the bank!

Good stuff :good: I've used the impregnated cloth in a ziplok bag myself.

Scope care - go to Jessops and you can get a puffer brush, lens cleaning cloth and tissues and lens cleaning fluid for about a fiver.

Edited by Blunderbuss