Barrell length

guerinirocks

Can anyone help, Ive got a caesar guerini 30 inch o/u.Ive been offered a 32 inch dt10. What difference does the barrel length make. I short sporting all :good: the time its a sporting gun. Its the right money etc etc.

There are some very knowledgeable people on here can anyone let me know the pros and cons.

I have a big cabinet!

Edited by guerinirocks

Down to how you shoot personally. I shoot much better with shorter barrels. I had a 30 inch to start with, I now have a 28" Onyx, and I get on with a friends 26" winchester even better. Then again I know someone who can hit nothing with a gun under 3o" barrels and preffers 32". I think I'm right in saying longer barrels swing slower (seemingly) than shorter ones.

It's not just barrel length, the better shooters I know shoot longer heavier guns for clays one a 10lb gun! He is a big chap mind! But they say my 525 30" is too "whippy" one shoots perazzi with custom stock the other a miroku trap gun! For skeet!

They are both good shots both have shot for England I think but their technique honed over many years and many guns!

The gun that felt best in the shop was also one of the worst I have shot

Edited by HDAV

i think balance is more important than length, my perazzi 32" was very barrel light and i personally could only shoot it well when it had about 10oz of lead taped to it. its current owner on the other hand prefers it the other way. whatever floats your boat really.

Agreed with the comments about handling and balance being more important than barrel length alone. I'm sure that plenty of World Championships have been won with both 30" and 32" barrels so it's who's behind the trigger that is the most important part of the equation.

As for purchasing a DT10 - if it were me i'd hold off a couple of months until the DT11 is fully released as i'm sure that there'll be a host of DT10s coming up at decent money :yes:

If your happy with the gureni why do you want another gun to shoot sporting.Eight years ago I part exchange a few guns to purchase a Perazzi. I now only have one gun use it for all clay disciplines and shoot game and I have never shot better. I found going from one gun to another was not successful for me as each shot slightly differently.The gun has 32 inch barrels but so well balanced that even snap shooting in a ride is no problem.

Bill

I prefer 30" barrels, I am 5'8" and I just find 32" harder to shoot with, some guns out there feel so numb to me. So much depends how fit you are too to wield long barrels about.

If all the top shooters shot 28" guns, as they used to would you do the same? I still think it's a bit of a "fashion" thing, just like high ribs on sporters, manufacturers keep pushing these "new" ideas out just to sell more guns.

If you are quite tall a 32" might suit you but I do like a 30" better as an all round sporting gun.

I prefer 30" barrels, I am 5'8" and I just find 32" harder to shoot with, some guns out there feel so numb to me. So much depends how fit you are too to wield long barrels about.

If all the top shooters shot 28" guns, as they used to would you do the same? I still think it's a bit of a "fashion" thing, just like high ribs on sporters, manufacturers keep pushing these "new" ideas out just to sell more guns.

If you are quite tall a 32" might suit you but I do like a 30" better as an all round sporting gun.

There is nothing wrong with 30" guns :yes: and although I accept that the manufacturers have to have an active marketing department to entice us to spend money there are one or two things that will never ever change due to fashion. The current high ribs for instance have been and gone before, as have such things as high viz ribs etc, but when it comes to the most innately right barrel length for most people who shoot sporting at a high level, then 32" is here to stay.

People have been saying that the fashion will change but since it hasn't for thirty years and counting then we can safely call it a standard classic baseline. You really can count the number of top 50 shooters in the land who shoot other than 32" on one hand and they have a choice, if they thought for a minute that they'd shoot better with anything else then surely they'd be mad not to? 32" doesn't suit everyone of course but it is and has been the baseline for the best for a very long time now.

Incidentally at 5'8" you'd tower over me :lol: :lol: , you do need to learn to shoot them but a little perseverance will pay off.

At my age I don't want to start again to learn how to shoot. I have a friend who's about 5'5" and he shoots a 32" gun but he's 30 years younger than me.

Hamster, did you bother reading the article or do you know everything :hmm: ?

Enough of this banter I'm off to Blackpool for a shot :good:

Edited by BlaserF3

I`m 5ft 8ins and 65 and I love my 32 inch Perazzi, that`s not to say I like all 32inch barrel guns. The number of times people have asked to try my gun and then commented that it doesn`t` feel like 32 when you put it up. Shooting is about confidence and if your not confident with the gun you won`t` shoot well with it.

Bill

At my age I don't want to start again to learn how to shoot. I have a friend who's about 5'5" and he shoots a 32" gun but he's 30 years younger than me.

Hamster, did you bother reading the article or do you know everything :hmm: ?

Enough of this banter I'm off to Blackpool for a shot :good:

Believe me BlaserF3 I've read enough articles for a lifetime :lol: :lol: , I've nothing against guns shorter or longer than 32", nor side by sides, raised ribs or whatever, just saying you don't necessarily need to read an article to see the reality of things around you. The very best have, do and will continue to shoot 32" guns, that's because they happen to be the best compromise.

I sold my last semi auto because despite having a 30" barrel it felt unwieldy and too long compared to most 32" OU I've owned but that's just an anomaly of dynamics.

Everyone has their own preference on what barrel length they prefer. The only person who knows if you like the 32" barrels is you. Shoulder the gun, and see what you think of the length :good: :good: :good:

Cg barrels in 32 sounds like a plan. I very much get the impression that itsbpersonal preference and not a scientific reason.

Many thanks chaps.

Oh and i have a beautiful wife who cannot cook whatsoever.