Tonights training session.

Tuesdays is a night when we go dog training with a group and with the professional trainer.

Good night really working on the dog's taking a better line for the retrieve, and she did well one mistake but she does have a rather annoying habit of low level whining now and again, but we're working on that.

We set up a blind retrieve on a rabbit dummy and everyone does resonably well, then the last dog picks up the rabbit dummy and runs out the barn with owner in hot pursuit, all you can hear is cursing and whistling. Then he comes back after about 5 minutes with dog but no dummy, lost it and can't find it. A few spaniels search for it but no luck, I eye this as a chance to put another tick in the Lab column as the best gundog. Low and behold I send her out to look for it and a few minutes searching out she comes from under a tractor with the dummy, "Good dog", pat on the head and a job well done.

You have to take these moments as it could be me next time.

Proof Labs are better than spaniels :):)

Tuesdays is a night when we go dog training with a group and with the professional trainer.

Good night really working on the dog's taking a better line for the retrieve, and she did well one mistake but she does have a rather annoying habit of low level whining now and again, but we're working on that.

We set up a blind retrieve on a rabbit dummy and everyone does resonably well, then the last dog picks up the rabbit dummy and runs out the barn with owner in hot pursuit, all you can hear is cursing and whistling. Then he comes back after about 5 minutes with dog but no dummy, lost it and can't find it. A few spaniels search for it but no luck, I eye this as a chance to put another tick in the Lab column as the best gundog. Low and behold I send her out to look for it and a few minutes searching out she comes from under a tractor with the dummy, "Good dog", pat on the head and a job well done.

Proof Labs are better than spaniels :):)

:stupid::yes::good:

Proof Labs are better than spaniels :) :

Where are these training sessions mate?

Not saying either breed is better as they are completely different but i have a little story from this year that made me laugh.

We were beating on the shoot owners invitation day, where instead of the usual 8 drives we do as many as possible before the light gives out, normally about 10-11. A chap turns up in the morning to beat with two springers, he is full of his self from minute 1 and tells us how great his dogs are and how the shoot captain has asked him to come to get as many birds up as possible. Everything goes well the first drive, when we appear at the end of the drive i notice 1 of his dogs on the lead and he looked a bit nervous, thought it was strange but didn't think anymore about it. 2nd drive was a long cover strip that the guns normally line up about 30 yards from, infront of a wood/scrub area that is another drive. This day we were pushing through the cover strip quietly and pushing the birds into the wood and then beating straight through with the guns stood at the end of the wood. Mr Spaniel is still bigging his dogs up, and when the keeper asks us to start pushing through QUIETLY he lets his dogs off, they go mental and scream around the cover crop putting about 30 birds up, all going straight on the wing in the wrong direction!! Not happy at that they chase a bird into the wood and tear that up with birds going everywhere, the keeper said about 70 birds came out, not 1 going over the guns. We went through it anyway and the guns had 6 pheasants, where we would normally have about 50 from the 2 drives.

Mr Spaniel is sent packing by the keeper with a few choice words following him. Later on that day we end up almost back at the start when a gun asks me to pick a cock bird that dropped in the wood that forms part of the first drive, i enter the wood and send the dog to look for the pheasant, i am stood there looking around when i notice a few feathers under a big hawthorn bush, getting closer they are gold? closer again it becomes clear why Mr spaniel was looking a bit nervy at the end of his first drive, tucked into the bush was a guinea fowl and one of the shoot owners prized golden pheasants.

Needless to say he has never been back again :lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol: did I forget to mention it was a Lab that ran off with the dummy in the first place, whoops :lol::lol::lol:

I really know each dog has it's place :)

Training sessions are in Tonbridge area with Chris Burns, who owns Breezeleaf Spaniels you can find him easily online. Great guy who really knows his dogs, he is mainly Spaniels but has worked Labs also so he knows his stuff. Also if you go on youtube he did some work for Shooting times I think.

Hear we go again

I have seen plenty labs behave as above

Infact more labs as people think they are easyer to train so more get them, fact is most people with this attitude would fail to train anything they get

They are two different breeds end of story. My 10 month Old cocker will knock spots of some labs I have seen this means nothing at all nor is it a reflection of the breeds

Hear we go again

Infact more labs as people think they are easyer to train so more get them, fact is most people with this attitude would fail to train anything they get

They are two different breeds end of story. My 10 month Old cocker will knock spots of some labs I have seen this means nothing at all nor is it a reflection of the breeds

I somtimes forget on these forums that people cannot accept a little joke and if you read on you would know I appreciate this, people really have to gain a sense of humour, otherwise this sort of forum becomes pointless.

If you bothered to read my last post you would have seen that.

Hear we go again

Like i started my post, neither dog breed is better as they are completely different. Both breeds have there good, bad and average members. That was just a story that i remembered reading the thread. Could have just as easily been a Lab/cocker/vizsla/terrier/setter...........

Wasn't a dig at a breed

Question. What sort of trainer allows a guy to chase a dog running off with a retrieve? :o

The dog was being deliberatly defiant and therefore the handler needed to get out to the dog and challenge that behaviour in order to stop it happening again, which prooved to have worked well on the very next retrieve. The dog got very excited with the rabbit dummy in the first place and was a young dog. I know the word chase in dog handling is a big no, so perhaps I should have chosen a better one.

The trainer has trained many many really good dogs and handlers has a very good reputation which I personally wouldn't want to ruin or have people who have only a simple sensationalised description of the situation to bring into question. My fault for an oversimplified and whimsical explanation, apologies for that.

This thread was for a bit of a laugh and nothing more than that.

Edited by One man and his lab

The dog was being deliberatly defiant and therefore the handler needed to get out to the dog and challenge that behaviour in order to stop it happening again, which prooved to have worked well on the very next retrieve. The dog got very excited with the rabbit dummy in the first place and was a young dog. I know the word chase in dog handling is a big no, so perhaps I should have chosen a better one.

The trainer has trained many many really good dogs and handlers has a very good reputation which I personally wouldn't want to ruin or have people who have only a simple sensationalised description of the situation to bring into question. My fault for an oversimplified and whimsical explanation, apologies for that.

This thread was for a bit of a laugh and nothing more than that.

Sorry when you said " chased by the owner cursing and wistling" i thought you meant thats what actually happened - silly me :rolleyes: