simon6ppc

yes and no...

yes with a lot of folks, but i found i was getting a lot of head shot runners.

.22 would knock them clean over and when i bought my first 177 they often jumped and ran, sometimes would make cover or get underground.

i would find them with holes through the tops of the heads

Respectfully, its about shot placement and in the right spot they don't run with with either calibre. The video posted is mine and you can see how effective the .177 is. If you have holes through the top of the head, the indication is that the poi is to high, hence them running off. Accuracy is everything :yes:

Respectfully, its about shot placement and in the right spot they don't run with with either calibre. The video posted is mine and you can see how effective the .177 is. If you have holes through the top of the head, the indication is that the poi is to high, hence them running off. Accuracy is everything :yes:

Spot on.

I've had runners with .22 and .177, if you get the range wrong, or pull a shot you won't always get a clean kill.

.177 is a little more forgiving when it comes to rangefinding and .22 can deliver a little more oompf - the only answer is to get one of each!

Spot on.

I've had runners with .22 and .177, if you get the range wrong, or pull a shot you won't always get a clean kill.

.177 is a little more forgiving when it comes to rangefinding and .22 can deliver a little more oompf - the only answer is to get one of each!

spot on, spot on.

it's all in the placement.

a boxer can punch someone hard in the stomach but unless you punch them hard in the head they wont fall.

i have by far had more kills with a .177 than with .22

i've never noticed any difference between .177 and .22 in terms of ability to kill effectively. both calibres have more than enough power to kill cleanly beyond our maximum range in terms of accuracy.

it is often said that a 1" kill zone is the required accuracy, but the brain cavity of a full grown rabbit is 3/4" (there's a pic on youtube of someone holding a ruler against a rabbit skull).

the kill zone on kits, squirrels, and birds heads is less than 3/4", so i reckon accuracy is the problem for runners, not power/calibre.

if you hit a rabbit a few mm low it'll try to run, but go round in circles a few times before keeling over, but if you hit it 1" low it'll run off unless you're lucky enough to hit the spinal column.

there's a few airgunners who take squirrels and woodies with heart/lung shots effectively, as they present a bigger and steadier target. not tried it on squirrels but woodies, side on, just in front of the wing is effective enough.

i think shooting in a crosswind, even very slight, is the biggest cause of inaccuracy with air rifles.

you can't beat a good .177 v .22 debate :lol: :lol: :lol:

never had a runner with 22 head shots, yet plenty with 177.

my hw95 venom tuned is in 177, brilliant gun but had more runners then shooting my tx200 in 22.

larger pellet seams to drop them and not drill through

Are you using heavy pellets? I used to use bisley magnums but I found that they didn't deform much and would often zip through prey. I now use jsb exacted and they are great at delivering all of the pellets energy when they hit.

Is .177 a huntiung calibre? Definately :good: :good:

gud video and gud shootin pal.both caliburs do kill bein truthfull.i supose its personal choise at the end off the day.i use a 32ftlb rappid 7. i swear by it to be honest on rabbits if shootin in trees, pigeons etc you dont need that power. but i do seem to go more for the 22.cheers.

As has already been stated, it's really a question of pellet placement - all air rifle calibres will knock your quarry out if you hit them in a kill zone (head, heart & lungs etc), the question is: can you get the pellet to go where you want it to?

If you cant hit a penny at various distances with a .22 then go for a .177, it is far more forgiving of range estimating errors and (providing you can place the pellet correctly) will never let you down.

17052008024.jpg

FX Cyclone .177 using Bisley Magnums

02062008059.jpg

This guys lights went out so quickly - he didnt even drop his dinner! :good:

Jim