Hunting with a .177?

BlueSheep

Hi guys,

I have got a .177 TX200HC and was just wondering if this calibre is suitable for hunting?

My friend says you can shoot rabbits in the body with a .22 but not with a .177 is he right and is .177 really bad for hunting?

I dont think you should shoot a rabbit in its body with any airgun....

Thanks,

:lol:

A .22 will not kill a rabbit if you shoot it in the body. Neither (obviously) will a .177. You need head shots when your using a air rifle and it needs to be in the brain or else itll be a runner. A .177 is adequate for hunting if you produce head shots in rabbits, for crows magpies and other birds; chest shots will also produce a clean kill - depending on pellet)

.177 is perfectly acceptable for hunting...

As for body shots on rabbits...Not very fair, but I have hit them in the upper chest cavity and dropped them. Check out where the vital organs are when you next gut them to give you an idea..

A head shot on a rabbit at 30yds is just as easy as a body shot.

You dont want to him them in the stomach, your shot will go through the intestines and make a right poohey mess.

Is it not abit iffy though with a 12ft/lb .22? Would imagine you would need a pointy pellet. His mate said body shots, a .22 in the stomach will never kill a rabbit. :lol:

I always go for the head shot.

hi m8, i did say chest, didnt i, my m8 shoots them in the chest with hes .22 mfr 12ftlb without trouble only when he cant get a head shot.

Yes, you said chest shots, didnt you. :lol::lol:

To clarify that a rabbit will drop if you hit vital organs (chest/head) anything else in the body is not acceptable is what I meant which I think is pretty obvious but maybe not to a beginner. I just thought that a point head bullet is best if your shooting rabbits. Hollow point are better for crows but maybe not wood pigeons cause theyre tough.

Yes, you said chest shots, didnt you. :D :blink:

To clarify that a rabbit will drop if you hit vital organs (chest/head) anything else in the body is not acceptable is what I meant which I think is pretty obvious but maybe not to a beginner. I just thought that a point head bullet is best if your shooting rabbits. Hollow point are better for crows but maybe not wood pigeons cause theyre tough.

Forget pointed pellets they are a waste of time.

Find a pellet that is the most accurate in your rifle and stick with it.

The .177 is capable of clean kills on all air-rifle quarry as long as you place your pellet in the Killing zone.

I have accounted for numerous pigeon/rabbit/crow/squirrel with the .177 as well as the .22.

Shoot within ranges that you are happy with to produce clean kills.

Above all PRACTICE PRATICE

Yes, you said chest shots, didnt you. :D :blink:

Forget pointed pellets they are a waste of time.

Find a pellet that is the most accurate in your rifle and stick with it.

The .177 is capable of clean kills on all air-rifle quarry as long as you place your pellet in the Killing zone.

I have accounted for numerous pigeon/rabbit/crow/squirrel with the .177 as well as the .22.

Shoot within ranges that you are happy with to produce clean kills.

Above all PRACTICE PRATICE

*** kip has said, put it in the right place and its dead

I actually prefer .177 for hunting (even though I use a .22!)

This is because I always go for head shots, and the flat trajectory of .177 means that there is far less need to worry about how much elevation to give the shot.

Pete

I shoot with a .22 cal air rifle. With a head shot the rabbit drops on the spot, it may kick a bit, but it is lights out time straight away. Occasionally I have hit the upper chest and the pellet mushes the heart and lungs. In that case the rabbit will run away, but not get very far because it's engine is kaput. Head shot every time for me. And .177 is perfectly adequate as long as you get a clean head-shot between the eye and the ear.

I think the .177 calibre should be rated extremely high for hunting, ive taken many a rabbit/pigeon/squirrel etc with my .177. Started on a .177 as a young boy then moved to .22 because i thought it would be better, now i like many others on here never take out the 22 anymore, keep to the zippy, forceful .177. Just because its a smaller round it gets overlooked, much like at first with the .17 hmr rifle, now its selling like hot cakes.

I Always aim for the head

:blink:

go for head shots m8. only take chest shots with a 22 if u cannot get the head, i think because of the harder hitting. 177. is perfect for hunting 177 is better shots no worrie about dip ect.

good luck

steve

Correction, NEVER take a body shot on any quarry with an airgun. If a clear headshot isn't available then you shouldn't take the shot, just leave it for another day or try and reposition yourself so that you can take a headshot. I'm not aiming this as a verbal attack on you, more just a general message to everyone. :good:

go for head shots m8. only take chest shots with a 22 if u cannot get the head, i think because of the harder hitting. 177. is perfect for hunting 177 is better shots no worrie about dip ect.

good luck

steve

Correction, NEVER take a body shot on any quarry with an airgun. If a clear headshot isn't available then you shouldn't take the shot, just leave it for another day or try and reposition yourself so that you can take a headshot. I'm not aiming this as a verbal attack on you, more just a general message to everyone. :)

Yes I agree. ???:good: Neckshots are good though. ???