Kelly Kettle

rayo

Developed by the desert rats in WW2. Known in the army as a Benghazi. (Someone will correct the spelling).

Fuel burner was a small empty bean tin full of sand with a drop of fuel, whatever was to hand, poured in.

Brew-up in minutes.

REME blokes used to make them for us out of ration tins. Charged us 5/- each one. Well worth it.

Brilliant bits of kit :good: . They were first made in Ireland at the turn of the last century, but the Kiwi troops made them popular in the WWII Africa campaign and they were widely adopted then with various types and modifications by different services, all the same chimney principle.

This one looks like a more advanced version than mine as it appears to have a base that allows the burning material tho be burned in, boils water very quickly.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Large-Base-Kelly-Kettle%C2%AE-pints/dp/B000SKHXWU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330981626&sr=8-1

Sort of acts like a volcano effect, the inside is tapered like a funnel.

Edited by BerettaSV10

:good:

This one looks like a more advanced version than mine as it appears to have a base that allows the burning material tho be burned in, boils water very quickly.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Large-Base-Kelly-Kettle%C2%AE-pints/dp/B000SKHXWU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330981626&sr=8-1

Sort of acts like a volcano effect, the inside is tapered like a funnel.

That's the one I have, fantastic and efficient bit of kit that boils 1.5 litres quicker than my kitchen kettle and it cools down quickly after use. :good:

totally agree this ex reme bloke was shown how to make em in the 80s whilst keeping

them there russkies at bay,a must on cold german nights in a trench,tho that was a long time ago in a far off galaxy n we charged a ten pack of beer :ernyha::lol:

How does a ten pack of beer in the 80's compare with five bob in 1957? (When I was also watching the Russian hoards).

kelly kettle is a brill bit of kit, never travel without mine for a quick good hot cuppa and cooking, no gas purchases needed.

I tend to squirrel away (excuse the pun) a large bag of dry fir cones to use as fuel for the burner.

The fir cones fit nicely down the neck to top up the fire and light and burn easily when firing it up with a few twigs and a little tissue paper/bogroll (used or unused :lol: :lol: ) :good:

Belly button fluff works well too to spark it up :yes: