Help please with decoying

smokinggun

Hi Guys,

I have been granted permission to shoot on a very large farm split up into lots of seperate fields which were covered in pigeon on the rape the day the farmer showed me around about 4pm, the next day i went to look about and have a go at them but there wasnt any around, i was there from 10am-5pm and i spent about the first 2 hours with 6 full body decoys set out while i was in a hide made in the bushes but nothing even came over, i then walked many of the other fields for the next 5 hours to see what was about and still nothing,

Could someone please give me any tips on anything i can do or should i have just sat tight and waited in the hide?, i had the decoys set in a sort of horseshoe pattern facing different directions but wasnt sure how far from the hide to place them so they may have been to close,

The farmer gave me permission to turn off the bangers but to be honest i didnt as the day he showed me around when the field was covered they were on, he also marked the areas causing big problems which is where i had set up.

Cheers for any help guys this is my first time on live quarry so i dont have much experience of techniques etc.

EDIT, i forgot to add i am going back after work this saturday about 1.30pm until dusk so hopefully i will try out any new ideas then :good:

Edited by smokinggun

If ur new in to pigeon shooting mate you can just keep trying different things, and learn from your own mistakes, or have some one who had been doing it a wile show u on a days shooting, there is no right or wrong way people have different opions, iv fount pigeons in different areas of the country decoy different and like different set ups, it's manly about noing what the birds are doing, my onli advice would be get out for a few days and watch and learn the birds feeding on ur land, where abouts are you? Thanks Danny

Chatteris mate, i spoke to another pigeon shooter at work and he went out on his own permission the same day and had no luck either so hopefully i will have more luck this saturday, i think i will set up the decoys and just stick it out in the hide this time rather than getting itchy feet and walking about to see if it makes a difference, fingers crossed

You can have all the gear in the world but the fact is that if the birds are not there your not going to shoot them , yes movement in a pattern helps but not if there is not anything to see it .

I would recommend that you invest in more decoys for when they are about as 6 is not really enough when shooting rape, I use 20-30 or more.

Edited by fenboy

Thank you for all of the help guys, i dont currently have a rotary just the full body decoys but i think i shall perhaps do as fenboy said and first invest in some more decoys and see where to go from there maybe getting a rotary when i have some spare cash in the future,

As RAMMER BURT said i will probably not wait about for as long next time if its so dead about, i'll have to keep popping in to see whats happening on the fields.

Thanks again i'm hoping to maybe at least get a shot off this weekend :good:

Find a flight line and get under it, doesn't matter if they are feeding in that field or not, they'll still go over te top. just watch the birds see what they are doing, don't worry mate am in the same boat, rather new and still figuring out. They have good eyes any movement and there off so keep still. Some are good days some are bad, just luck of the draw sometimes I think.

I agree that a few more decoys etc will help, but only when there are pigeons to see them. Don't worry, it's pretty much impossible to have your decoys too close to your hide- the most important thing is that they can be seen by pigeons.

I personally wouldn't set up unless i was reasonably certain that pigeons would be feeding on any given field, but you will only learn by getting out there. Some serious hours need to be put in to learn about this sport.

• 3 weeks later...

In the same boat mate, I'm shoot in bottisham, you can see the damage and set up there, follow all the guidelines in pw and they feed at the other end of the field, I spend all my time fireing warning shots to get them up so they may come over to my decoys, ill be ousting some questions of my own soon that may help once I've searched the database to make sure I'm not repeating any.

Big flocks move around in such areas, your feild one day...Farmer Jims 5 miles away the next, Farmer Browns 10 miles away thereafter...only when they start breaking up to breed and disperse will they be easier to decoy, trouble is the rape will be too long by then.

I think with respect many new pigeon shooters ( and most old ones) expect to shoot a hundred pigeons every time they go out but it dont work like that, thats why even though shooting is the most effective method of controlling their numbers it isnt working. We shooters dont even dent the National population.

Just enjoy the day, if you manage just to get a few birds each trip thats fine..it makes the occasional day when you are lucky enough to get a big bag even more enjoyable.

could a simple thing like a field of drilling somewhere close by has drawn all the birds.

if they have battered it they will be back as after the drillings are gone rape is all thats left for a while

and they will try to keep it short in the areas they have hit to make feeding easier.

lots of variables in this sport...have fun :good: