Razors from last night

You actually eat filter feeding molluscs from the sea in Essex ????

get your self down the hospital quick?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is there as much contamination there as we suffer here on the East coast? Cadmium and Mercury are prevalent in much of our seafoods, neither of which I have an appetite for!!!

Nice catch YDP, you are quite the outdoorsone!! Hows the handloading going?

Is there as much contamination there as we suffer here on the East coast? Cadmium and Mercury are prevalent in much of our seafoods, neither of which I have an appetite for!!!

Nice catch YDP, you are quite the outdoorsone!! Hows the handloading going?

I am quite partial to Cadmium and Mercury :lol:

Most of the stuff is in the shop I just need the time to collect it

Excellent bass bait :)

I might keep a few back for a spot of fishing :good:

I can't add this to the topic so here it is. 30ish Razors (some didn't make the picture) and a bowl of Clams :good:

You ate some raw didn't you? :sick:

You pull your razors out and cook them then? How do you do yours?

I fry my ones whole and when they open put them meat down on the pan. My old man eats the butterfish clams but even after purging I find theres always sand. Got razors tonight for tea :yahoo:

Good tide last few days for collecting them, and at £5.00 a kilo well worth the effort, A bit of a tip to de grit the clams put them in an onion type bag and hang them on a sea wall quay side etc suspended off the bottom by a couple of feet for 24 hours the sand and grit will disappear.

Good tide last few days for collecting them, and at £5.00 a kilo well worth the effort, A bit of a tip to de grit the clams put them in an onion type bag and hang them on a sea wall quay side etc suspended off the bottom by a couple of feet for 24 hours the sand and grit will disappear.

Good tides tomoz as well, going to squeeze one in before the speed awareness course at 1100. Tsk!

Good tip for the clam, I'm assuming its the motion of the ocean that sheds the grit? They certainly don't dump much when I do them in buckets.

Good tip for the clam, I'm assuming its the motion of the ocean that sheds the grit? They certainly don't dump much when I do them in buckets.

As filter feeders clams mussels cockles etc are on the sea bed the sand and grit naturally get inside the shell when they are feeding, by suspending them in onion sacks they still feed the shells open sand grit drops out and they fillter clean water through their system. That is the reason supermarkets prefer rope grown mussels suspended under the surface rather than bottom cultivated mussels.

As filter feeders clams mussels cockles etc are on the sea bed the sand and grit naturally get inside the shell when they are feeding, by suspending them in onion sacks they still feed the shells open sand grit drops out and they fillter clean water through their system. That is the reason supermarkets prefer rope grown mussels suspended under the surface rather than bottom cultivated mussels.

This is what I cant figure. The Mussels that I get collect are from rocks that protrude no more than a few feet from a sandy beach and they are surrounded by slop and mud. I purge them for between 12 and 24 hours and they hardly have any sand when cooked. The clams never seem to even cycle water when I bucket purge them. I've tried a bit of oatmeal, bicarb, vinegar, and various dilutions of sea water and they just don't want to play ball. I just collect them for the old man now, he eats anything. :lol: