.223 or .243

crazyfrog

I am applying to add another rifle to my FAC, again I have been doing a lot of reading on either a .223 or .243, as far as I can see the .243 with the greater velocity has a effect of quicker barrel wear and this is the only downside, however is this just a minor issue where the barrel takes 1000's of rounds more than a .223 to wear out. Again withregards to ammo price, reloading, accuracy etc etc, what are your views on the subject, Many thanks......

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To make things clear 1500 rounds life is to be expected from a .243". It uses twice the powder of a .223 and this also means a higher cost in use. £700 new barrel divide by 1500 and add an extra 20+ grains more powder. If 250-300 yds is a long shot you dont live in an area famous for its winds then stick with the .223

In SIMPLE terms you apply for what you need and can justify, not what you fancy!

So what do you need?

Barrel life is not a real consideration in either a .223 or .243 in my opinion, mine have BOTH done well over 1500 rounds and still work fine, and there are plenty of hot .223 or mild .243 you can brew up if you play at home!

:good:

In SIMPLE terms you apply for what you need and can justify, not what you fancy!

So what do you need?

Barrel life is not a real consideration in either a .223 or .243 in my opinion, mine have BOTH done well over 1500 rounds and still work fine, and there are plenty of hot .223 or mild .243 you can brew up if you play at home!

:good:

:good: +1

Brand new sako 75 varmint,around 1800 rounds,but must add it was shooting some hot home loads.

Exactly what told you the barrel was shot out? would it not shoot a group at 100 yards? and if so was it just that the group opened up or was it key holeing etc?

Regards,

Gixer

How many among us have actually experienced a shot out .243 for themselves? ;)

Ello Dave. :P

Had mine for 7 years now and have never shot 55grn bullets at stupid velocities, so 1500 rds is nowhere near the wear-out mark.

Just use 75grn v-max bullets for fox and 100grn SP bullets for deer at reasonable velocities (2700-2900fps) and the barrel will last a lot longer than 1500rds (more like 5,000-7,000rds) :good:

G.M.

Edited by Graham M

Ello Dave. :P

Had mine for 7 years now and have never shot 55grn bullets at stupid velocities, so 1500 rds is nowhere near the wear-out mark.

Just use 75grn v-max bullets for fox and 100grn SP bullets for deer at reasonable velocities (2700-2900fps) and the barrel will last a lot longer than 1500rds (more like 5,000-7,000rds) :good:

G.M.

Of course all barrels, loads and use cycles vary but the main reason the .243 is not popular in f-class is its short competitive life of as little as 1000 rounds. Peter Jackson held the UK 1000 yds record for quite a while with a .243" ackerly shooting VLD's so it is very capable but little use if tubes struggle to make it through a full season. You might be suprised at your round count over that 7yrs, anyone who researches this fact will find 7000 rounds is very, very unlikely from a .243". 2700 fps with a 75 grn bullet aint reasonable its pretty darn low though 3400 + is to be expected. I expect your vague 2700-2900 fps indicates you aint a clue to the velocity and are only guessing.

My current .243 i have owned for a very similar time to that 7yrs you suggest. It has done around 1500 rounds hardly ever shot a 55 grn pill - mostly 95's in fact @ 3050 fps and throat errosion and fire cracking is quite evident in the bore. It holds very tight groups out to a considerable range from a clean barrel but these fall appart once its done about 20, the tube quite frankly is well past its best but i cant bring myself to change it because it shoots very well indeed up to that point

Of course all barrels, loads and use cycles vary but the main reason the .243 is not popular in f-class is its short competitive life of as little as 1000 rounds. Peter Jackson held the UK 1000 yds record for quite a while with a .243" ackerly shooting VLD's so it is very capable but little use if tubes struggle to make it through a full season. You might be suprised at your round count over that 7yrs, anyone who researches this fact will find 7000 rounds is very, very unlikely from a .243". 2700 fps with a 75 grn bullet aint reasonable its pretty darn low though 3400 + is to be expected. I expect your vague 2700-2900 fps indicates you aint a clue to the velocity and are only guessing.

My current .243 i have owned for a very similar time to that 7yrs you suggest. It has done around 1500 rounds hardly ever shot a 55 grn pill - mostly 95's in fact @ 3050 fps and throat errosion and fire cracking is quite evident in the bore. It holds very tight groups out to a considerable range from a clean barrel but these fall appart once its done about 20, the tube quite frankly is well past its best but i cant bring myself to change it because it shoots very well indeed up to that point

The main reason won't be barrel life. It is a lot more likely to do with the 7mm magnums pushing a much higher BC a fair bit faster.