using a different gun safe for a month

northeastshooter

my parents are going away for a month and im staying at there place looking after dogs chickens ferrets ect there is a old large buildin (walk in ) safe in there house the door is around 4inchs thick so safety isnt a problem and the walls are solid stone and steel plated (the house was owned by a ship merchant many years ago) will the police need to come out and check it if i keep my guns there do i need to inform them? just my shoots are next door to my parents thanks for any advice :good:

I'd imagine that by the time your FEO could find time to slot in a visit, you're parents will have returned and, you'll be back at your place.

In the meantime, it's your responsibility to store your guns securely. How you go about that on a temporary basis is really down to your own good judgement. Imagine the worst, there's a break-in and one or more of your guns is taken... reckon you'll be able to convince the old bill that you took all reasonable precautions? When I spoke to my FEO about travelling/staying away with my guns that's the advice that I was given.

I'd also be inclined to think that the guns will be safer with you than they would be, in a house that you'll be leaving unoccupied for a month.

If in doubt though, you can always give the FEO a bell and ask for 1st hand advice - dunno about your neck of the woods but around here, they don't bite and they just love to dole out advice/instructions. ;)

Let's just get this in perspective.

You, like many of us are staying away from home on holiday for a few weeks and taking your guns with you. You are not required to advise the police of this fact and remember that the safe keeping of your guns is your responsibility and yours alone. Staying at your parents is no different to staying in a hotel whilst on a shooting holiday.

All you are obliged do is to adhere to condition 4(a) of your SGC/FAC.

I have to disagree with this "temporary" advice.

What constitutes temporary? Living at your parents for a month, staying in a caravan for a year shooting every day, sleeping in your car for a week?

Call the FAO, if he says no then you did the right thing to ask, if he says it's OK then you've lost nothing but a few minutes on the phone!!

I think we all agree it'll probably be OK but why not do things correctly!

Even though the poster is staying at his parents the chances are he wont be in the house 24/7, what happens if his parents house is broken into and the gun taken?? Then he has a whole load of explaining to do and could possibly have his license taken away.

Cos

just rang durham police they would need to come out and look at the safe if i decide to take them if not there will be an issue with them been kept at my house while im not staying there :blink: but i will b down every other day doesnt matter :blink: :angry: lol

I told you to say nowt. As long as the gun is in a secure place all would be well and it's not a permanent thing. There's far to much on here involving your FAO, I talk to mine once every five years.

A bit of commonsense needs to be applied and you did not need to contact them at all.

just rang durham police they would need to come out and look at the safe if i decide to take them if not there will be an issue with them been kept at my house while im not staying there :blink: but i will b down every other day doesnt matter :blink: :angry: lol

That can't be right, as there is nothing stopping you leaving them in your own gun safe if you go on holiday for a month.

Sounds like another force making it up as they go along.

i only have shotguns at the moment and not having my licence long wanted to play on the safe side i must admit i wish i hadnt naw as the guns will e locked away in a safe either at mine or my parents pluss side to my parents i will stoping there 90% of the time there away (nights) there is larger safe and 2 german shepards lol

sorry for letters missing just nocked my drink on my key oard and the other way round d doenst work lol :lol: uger

I told you to say nowt. As long as the gun is in a secure place all would be well and it's not a permanent thing. There's far to much on here involving your FAO, I talk to mine once every five years.

A bit of commonsense needs to be applied and you did not need to contact them at all.

:good: Thats right, say nowt! And the stupid thing is ask another FAO and he/she will tell you something totally different. At leas t you'll know for future.