Changing your doctor/surgery

steve_b_wales

How do I go about changing my doctor and surgery. For years, my surgery has been pathetic, with waiting times to see 'A' doctor (as it's never the same one) up to 10 days! My old surgery closed down a few years ago, and a new 'state of the art' :unsure: one was built. I decided to give them a chance, and yesterday was only the second time I've been to see a doctor in 3 years. The attitude of the receptionist/doctor and practice nurse, was disgusting.

I just want to change to a different one, but I'm not sure how to go about it.

Steve.

It can sometimes depend on where you live in relation to the surgery..do you not have to be registered at the nearest one...Thats how it is down here...I 'HAD' to change surgeries under protest when i moved house...liked the docs and staff at previous place...village surgery,friendly etc...Moved into a town,now when i go in its full of tracksuit wearing single mums with kids with colds...abrupt staff and a nightmare to get an appt that suits my working hours...

Just go into you preferred new surgery steve and ask...If your allowed,the process really is quite simple and just a case of filling in 1 or 2 forms.... :good: :good: :good:

Rather than just immediately jumping ship,

Why not write to the practice manager and complain, expressing your concerns, if you want to you can CC. the local health authority at the same time Or if you don't get any satisfaction from your current practice manager.

If you/people don't complain things don't get changed If the powers that be are not made aware of their short comings.

3 years ago i had a searing pain in my right hand side..went to the docs...drop your trousers and cough...no its not a hernia...shut the door on your way out..6 months later it was getting worse..back to the same doctor...drop your trousers...cough..no its still not a hernia,,shut the door on your way out...5 times this was repeated,eventually i asked to see another doctor..made the appointment..walked in dropped my trousers waved me dangley bits at ...her..said..have a feel..i havnt got a hernia but your the best looking one yet.....was told to put me trousers on....was sent for xrays..had to go and see a suit for the results...cant find anything wrong..he says...still got the problem.i have given up going to the docs,just a waste of time...i rang my cousin who is a doc in canada,he seems to think its an abdominable tear..i just put up with it

mikky

Might be worth a letter, as an infrequent user you may find them all much the same, I haven't been to our doctors since we moved but the missus thinks they are decent. I get frustrated when ever I go and in the past have kicked up a stink when collect her prescriptions seems the standard receptionist attitude is treat you like a inconvenience until you demand service wont accept being fobbed off, GP's have the cushiest number going £100k a year and can get away with doing very little it seems....

How do I go about changing my doctor and surgery. For years, my surgery has been pathetic, with waiting times to see 'A' doctor (as it's never the same one) up to 10 days! My old surgery closed down a few years ago, and a new 'state of the art' :unsure: one was built. I decided to give them a chance, and yesterday was only the second time I've been to see a doctor in 3 years. The attitude of the receptionist/doctor and practice nurse, was disgusting.

I just want to change to a different one, but I'm not sure how to go about it.

Steve.

Sorry to hear your havin problems.I am in the same boat.If you ask me the receptionists have too much authority,and their word goes no matter what you say. Have been admitted three times to hospital through doctors neglect as i am on warfarin therapy and have had bleeds.At minute i am keeping a note of everything,hope i dont need them.I could change my doctor but feel they dont have time for you.We are only a number to them and we can be replaced lol.Hope you get sorted.There is a complaints procedure but probably a waste of time.