Mitsubishi L200

Miroku_Dave

Afternoon All,

After years of gentle persuasion the wife has finally agreed that we should get an L200, the problem is that now she is wilco I am starting to have some doubts!

I am setting a budget of £15k which does give me a wide range of really nice low mileage vehicles and with fuel prices as they are I know its probably not the most sensible choice but it’s a big truck and I want one! :good:

I need a big motor as I have two little lads and we need to get bikes, camping gear, fishing rods, guns, dog etc in to a Mondeo at the minute which is a bloody nightmare so as the kids get bigger the car needs to as well!

If there is someone on here in a similar situation who owns an L200 could you post your views and experiences and let me know what I’m getting in to here? Just a few points about maintenance, performance, pros and cons and what to look out for would be great :yes:

Thanks in advance,

Dave

I run one and really enjoy it.

Pros :

Its very relaxed driving

Other road users see you coming

Level of refinement is good for a truck (go for a high spec one if you have 15K to throw at it)

You can chuck a load of stuff in the back. Mine gets used to carry rubble, chicken feed, building materials etc

Carrying the dogs in the back means no dog smells in the cab

Cons :

Economy - 28 to 30 mpg on a new shape (DiD engine)

Although they are comfy, they are still a truck and dont offer a Bently-smooth ride

Visibility when reversing is limited but you soon get used to it

Ive had two problems with mine. A broken leaf spring and a collapsed pipe to the EGR unit. Other than that, Ive had none of the horror stories that you hear about

I dont have to load mine up with kids and the trappings that they bring with them but theres plenty of cab room and lots of space in the tub

i got an l200 about 4 months ago on a 53 plate, changed the glow plugs was having trouble starting starts first time now .Its a good truck i love it, them leaf springs can be a bit bouncy ,but i would hope the newer ones ride better .I have no problems and i do like it alot, its not great on diesel but i didnt buy it for that, practical not much room for three adults in the back to be honest but im in the comfy drivers seat so im ok .It looks great and looks the part some good buys around and some older ones are good value too.Mines a base model but its still comfy hope it helps

You could always lease a new one (through me)

You would get a brand new truck, it can include all car tax and maintenance etc so no worries there either, and you don't need to shell out £25k for a poss lemon.

I hold stock of the l200 baba with all the toys.

Pm me if your interested.

i had a 60 plate animal . im a gamekeeper so it got used of road a lot .very low ground clearance not very good of road would not go up the resy banks to feed the duck in any gear .with a back on you have to climd in the back to get any thing in it after 5000 miles the engine blow up they would only rebuild it got it back with in two weeks there was oil all over the drive now back to a landrover defender not a problem . mpg is the same as my 90... if you buy one save hard for the repair that will come stay away from ky60 khb

i had a 60 plate animal . im a gamekeeper so it got used of road a lot .very low ground clearance not very good of road would not go up the resy banks to feed the duck in any gear .with a back on you have to climd in the back to get any thing in it after 5000 miles the engine blow up they would only rebuild it got it back with in two weeks there was oil all over the drive now back to a landrover defender not a problem . mpg is the same as my 90... if you buy one save hard for the repair that will come stay away from ky60 khb

You must have bought a pup then mate, I am a keeper, and we now run 3 L200's without issue, previously used Nissans, now they were a problem.

same mpg's as a defender :lol: - I dont know what thats about? grip wise they are ok with decent rubber, We have a couple of club kadets for when the going gets really tough and we dont wants to make a total mess of the estate.

• 2 months later...

Well Gents i have ignored all your advice about L200's and bought a 07 Plate Navara instead :blush:

Its a rather bright blue with lots of chrome, possibly wouldnt look out of place on "Big fat gypsy weddings" but I bloody love it!

Its done 60k and has just had new wheels fitted courtesy of Nissan (safety recall on the old ones)comes with a full MOT all for £7000 from a mate at work who just cant afford to run it up to Scotland every weekend.

The kids are over the moon even though my 5 year old cant get in without help, the missus secretly loves it but doesnt know where to put her shopping yet :lol:

Next purchase is a box for the back but its not urgent yet, im just going to enjoy it :good:

Thanks again for your advice :D

We have an L200 and it has to be the least practical car ever made, cant get fishing stuff in there, you even struggle to get a shotgun in a twin cab!

does ride very nice with walkinswhaw suspension though, dont attemnpt to tow anything with it as it couldnt pull a dead granny out of bed!

they are purely for aesthetics

We have an L200 and it has to be the least practical car ever made, cant get fishing stuff in there, you even struggle to get a shotgun in a twin cab!

does ride very nice with walkinswhaw suspension though, dont attemnpt to tow anything with it as it couldnt pull a dead granny out of bed!

they are purely for aesthetics

Interesting, where are you trying to put the shotgun? Mine fit very nicely on the floor behind the front seats thats if the back isn't on. With the back on you can get any number in alongside a dog box and still have bucket loads of room for more gear. We went shooting in Cumbria last year 3 of us 2 dogs and enough stuff for a weekend away and it all fitted fine. My fishing gear fits nicely in the back as well takes rod holdall easily with 2 piece 12ft rods. Towing wise had the odd well loaded horsebox and the missus's parents caravan on it and it'll tow at the motorway speed limit with no problems not that you should be towing at that speed ;)

Edited by al4x