AAAs vs choke

Guest cookoff013

just what situation are you expecting to be able to use AAA shot on something?

without being too technical, too much choke can ruin an already thin pattern, so can cartridge speed.

if you reload, try a reduced speed SG load, patterns tight, with 9 pellets hitting the target. managed recoil, and choke effects are almost neglegable. (from a point of view.)

what do you intend to shoot with AAA?

I used to shoot Eley Alphamax 36gr AAA quite a lot and found they do not like choke. We tested them on a pattern board and with full choke many pellets did not even hit the 3 foot pattern board , but kicked up the dust on the bank all around the board. But put them through 1\4 choke and they were brilliant with 40 of the 48 pellets inside a 30 inch circle at 50 yards. While I hesitate to recomend them , back in the days when we could use them for geese I put 17 geese in the bag from the first box of shells including one as homeloader ( from Shooting Times ) put it in an article " HE ( me ) finnished off a pink that was wounded by another fowler at 97 paces with one pellet that went up its bum and left by its neck". Geese should not be shot at beyond 50m , but this badly hit bird was going to escape over the water without me taking an out of range shot.

Edited by anser2

cheers chaps, :good:

i dont really want use these but there is an injured roe buck roaming round my permission which looks like some thugs have had there dogs on... :angry:

The land owner asked if i could give it some respect and help it out, i dont use centerfire nor has the land been past for it either. Last week i stalked around a bank just to see if i could get close to it ( without my gun ) i got within 40 yards before it ran into the distance. i noticed it had a large wound on its hind leg and one on its neck. <_<

Like i said i dont really want to do it nor have i ever done it in the past.

next question is, will the AAAS do there job from 40 yards from a 3 shot auto. As the said deer is seen very often in the same place.

What would you guys do?? turn a blind eye and tell the farmer i never see it or just do the deed he has asked.

cheers chaps..

I find that big pellets don't seem to like tight chokes. I found, a long time ago, that sg's would be all over the place with 3/4 choke yet threw a decent pattern if you can call it a pattern , as in all nine shot hit my pattern plate at twenty five yards from a cylinder barrel. Most would have connected with a fox. However, with 3/4 choke I tried, only three or four of the nine, at best, would have connected. I know sg's are a bit more extreme in size compared with AAA's but I've found that the same applies, to an extent, with any of the larger shot sizes. If you do use sg's, watch your backdrop.

40 yards is on the edge with a shotgun but go for the head with as little choke as possible and you'll be fine. Seen a couple done with 6's under similar circumstances with no problem. You don't have to use aaa's for humane despatch really whatever you have with you. If its mobile enough then find someone local with a cf and open ticket