Sunday shooting

poontang

Not sure where I sit on this. As the Clubs I'm in have Sunday shooting it would perhaps be unfair for me to disagree with it however I do think these things are sometimes left alone. It has every chance of becoming yet another stick to beat us with. The likes of the RSPB will be queuing up to drone on about disturbance now being 7 days a week etc.

Club committees that then decide to retain the No Shooting on a Sunday policy as a Conservation issue or in line with leases etc will then come under pressure from it's Membership!

A no win situation in my opinion

Edited by Reabrook

I am inclined to agree with reabrook. All my wildfowling is within Norfolk so i cant at the moment shoot duck on a Sunday , but I am not sure I want to , its very rare I even go pigeon shooting on a Sunday ( only if they are causing a real problem ). Some of the marshes i shoot over are swarming with the public and birdwatchers on a Sunday so the backlash from the public and RSPB may cause more problems than they are worth.

PS. I am not a religious person.

Edited by anser2

On the other side of that coin is the fact that not everyone can get during the week and Saturday's mornings due to work patterns. During the winter months once we have have changed the clocks that would leave members with just Saturday afternoon to shoot. The knock on effect on coastal clubs could be immense.

I agree during September we get a few Sunday afternoon walkers along the bank where I shoot but they stop well short of where I shoot and are never there when the flight starts.

I am sure Wildfowling clubs will all manage any changes in a democratic way.

i wouldn't want wildfowling on a sunday to be legal, because the birds get such a hammering the rest of the week here where i shoot, especially october november time when the migrants come in. its the same as the nature reserve we have, people lament about all the birds on there that cant be touched but personaly i think its good that the birds have somewhere they can be in peace. imo i think if there was shooting on a sunday and nowhere for the birds to go to, like the reserve, there would be less birds around as they would simply move on.

My club have a membership of 105, and are allowed to shoot Sundays.

We have 13 marshes that we shoot, and one marsh which is never shot and kept as a sanctuary.

Of the total membership only 40 members have shot over the season.

I've just been looking at the last couple of years figures for marsh visits and it shows that even with Sunday shooting there are less than 2 people (1.7) out over the whole area (over 10 miles of foreshore) each day during the season.

If any marshes are deemed to be overshot they are rested for a couple of weeks, though to be fair this seldom happens.

I think that if you have the land available and manage it well then Sunday shooting shouldn't be a problem for most clubs.

I do think it's nice to see a government dept. doing something positive for shooting sports, whether it's taken up by individual clubs or not. At least now there's a choice.

I am all for Sunday shooting, and I am also all for clubs resting their marshes for a number of days per week. It all depends on local shooting pressure but I do think that both Sat and Sun should be available, as that is when 90% of folk have their time off.

I have been thinking about this for a day or two and I don't think I have ever shot anything apart from a clay pigeon on a Sunday. Its not that I am deeply religious or anything its just what I do. I am probably lucky with my work regime as I can work round problems and get out on the marsh when the tide suits. I am also a "wildfowling pup" only having two seasons under my belt and not a lot of visits at that.

But, I can also understand that people working 5 or 6 days will want to get out on Sunday and I would not want to deny them that.

My conclusion is that as long as it does not get abused then so be it.

Regards

Hcc

Sunday shooting would be very wrong in my opinion its just good to give the wilfowl a bit of peace once a week & sundays is often a day out for families & you know what that can mean when none shooting people start getting about & it could be even worse for fowling in Scotland with the right to roam !. We have to live in this land with others too & lets be honest about it Britain is crowded so lets leave Sunday fowling alone . :hmm:

My main shooting day is Sunday, as I normally work the other 6 days. when I go out on a Saturday I see more people on the marsh than i do on a Sunday.

I think that as long as the marshes are not overshot and areas are provided for the fowl to be left alone, then it is ok. The problems start when there are conflicts of interest with other people like walkers, bird watchers etc, but this can be managed on a marsh by marsh basis and doesn't require a complete ban.

Either way it does seem a bit odd that some counties allow Sunday shooting and others don't

Sunday shooting would be very wrong in my opinion its just good to give the wilfowl a bit of peace once a week & sundays is often a day out for families & you know what that can mean when none shooting people start getting about & it could be even worse for fowling in Scotland with the right to roam !. We have to live in this land with others too & lets be honest about it Britain is crowded so lets leave Sunday fowling alone . :hmm:

What I'm not clear about is whether there has ever been any pressure from fowling groups or BASC in Scotland to change the no-fowling-on-Sunday law here. Or perhaps there just isn't the demand?

If DEFRA did change the law in England, would the shooting groups in Scotland lobby the Scottish Exec for a similar chang ein th elaw to allow fowling? Or just stay with the status quo?