First Buck Of The Season

sako751sg

Held oot last evening to try for a buck that i had saw in the lamp a night or two ago with still a wee bit of snow and although frosty it was fine and dry.Set up in a march of hard woods that gave me good scope for anything coming out of the woods although for a good backstop i was limited to an area of aboot 50 yards long.Was there for about 18.30 and after a half hourish a doe came running up with the big buck chasing her close behind.It was totally the wrong place from where i thought they would be and after coming within 80 yards they both winded me and legged it back to the woods.5 mins later a smaller buck in velvet came oot with two does but i passed on him thinking there was a chance of the big lad but it wasnt to be as i caught a glimpse of him a couple of hundred yards away and after trying a stalk on him i gave up as he was moving too fast.Also saw 2 foxes so will try them later today if the weather clears up.

Alarm went off at 05.45 and with a cleary frosty morning headed out with Rab for a drive round a few places.Only out for 20 mins when i saw a roe in the middle of this grass park and a quick glass showed a nice looking buck.To get off the road and onto the park where i have permission i had to drive towards him in full view but going slowly didnt alert him too much and instead he slowly worked to the side of the park.The fence is pretty high and as with this time,they dont usually jump it straight away and instead pace it up and doon looking for an easier way over and gave me plenty of time to get the rifle oot and set up.He was just over 170 so i held bang on and on the shot the thud and reaction showed a good connection and a wee run of 20 yards before dropping.A heavy beast at 20kg with a nice even 6 points,big sloping coronets and good pearling.Didnt bother gralloching there so stuck him in the box to be done later at the MILs and bait the fox with it.Didnt get another shot but glassed another 7 bucks,3 looking pretty decent but with the rain quite heavy and after one other failed stalk where he just dissapeared i headed home.Fine to get off the mark and hopefully the weather improves soon.

js46_2012bucks002.jpg

js46_2012bucks003.jpg

Nice looking head. Shot my first buck of the year down here in Wiltshire on Monday evening; he was an old 6 pointer going back, but was still in full velvet.

Ta fella.The majority of matures i have scoped up here have been clean which is real early for here,maybe due to the good spell.

Great Dave, Thats a fine buck for the 1st of the season :yes:

Looks like you have a few more to go at as well :good:

Cheers fella.Nice heed and the beast was in good nick and the odd bit of summer coat was just poking through probably due to that hot spell bringing it on early.Have another 3 good looking heads i know of and on one wee bit of 140 acres i know of 10 bucks of various sizes on it and thats after taking 14 off it last year.A cracking spot and maybe the amount is due to not shooting does on it but every buck gets the bullet with it being a youngish plantation.

well done and good write up mate , those pictures make it look like a mid winter stalk :lol: :lol: :good:

Ta fella.First time ive taken bucks in such weather and didnt seem the same.Bucks should be short sleeves and fine weather,but im probably a spoiled lad.

lovely pearling and a good solid shape, a head to be proud of well shot .

Cheers fella.Bonny head for a seasons first and hopefully a few more to come.

Real nice head that well done that man

Ta fella.

Nice clean head Dave well done mate!! :good: :good:

Loving the scope mate!!

Talk soon.

Cheers Alex.Seen a few nice clean lads and tried the scope the other evening and night and pretty outstanding.If you fancy a crack at the roe feel free.

That's a very nice buck! Jealous as I'm cooped up revising till mid May. Will it make a medal? :good:

Cheers fella.Nay chance of a medal as the beams are pretty weak but still a nice bonny heed.

not got the weight for a medal, but its bad to say from 1 photo.

Bang on fella.Just a nice heed and lacking the weight and volume for anything more.

Nice one Dave, look like a good symetrical head. :good:

Cheers Mark.Very even and a nice one for the first.Anything exceptional doing with yourself fella?

Realy nice looking heed Dave gid start to your season. :good:

Ta fella.Slow start but a good one.Getting any yourself?

Cracking stuff, proper beast!

Cheers fella.A nice big beast in good strip.

Weel done loon :good: :good: :good: a guid start fella ;)

Ta Tam.Weathers has slowed them doon but hopefully nay for long.

braw dave nice one too start the the season cant wait to get going myself :lol::good:

Cheers fella.Plenty time but still frustrating when the season starts and the weather keech.Have you been seeing a few?

yeh dave seen a few about 3 good 6 pointers bit will have a go at them after the rut .seen a nice one the other morning so if the weather plays ball i might have a crack at him in the morning the go doo shooting

alot still in velvet round here tho and not very keen on moving out the woods to the open fields but that will change soon enough :good::good: