semi for dtl

08shooter

hi guys have 2 semis now and would like to try them at dtl.i know they will be frowned upon but am i within my rights to use one. i tried a 3800 trap gun and i hated it great gun but it knocked the cheekbone clean out of me every time i used it . i like the semis and was wondering how many others use one for dtl. are there any rules against them. thanks

not sure your side of the pond but here its frowned upon, which incidently makes me more determind to use one, tired of the frumpy old boys club attitude, if a guy can shoot well with an auto let him i say.

if its against the rules, please give a valid and logical reason, and throwing shells sideways is ********.

Martin

VS,

I only shoot informal club level DTL so not sure about competition rules!

There is a bit of anti-semi feeling on DTL lines sometimes, but it shouldn't mean you can't use your guns.

As long as you are safe and stick to the rules about number of carts in the gun, I can't see a problem. Make sure your bolt is locked open when it should be though!

Bouncing your brass off someone's Krieghoff might not go down too well though but they can always hold the gun to the side slightly.

I guess you can load the gun quickly so you won't be slowing the line down, some shooters don't like that.

Chris

it is very distracting being hit in the face with empty shells while youre trying to concentrate on your shooting though :lol: i think it largely depends on who youre shooting with, informally witha few mates then its no problem :no: , but with people who like winning things :)

it is very distracting being hit in the face with empty shells while youre trying to concentrate on your shooting though :/ i think it largely depends on who youre shooting with, informally witha few mates then its no problem :good: , but with people who like winning things :no:

duck then :lol::lol::lol: where were they looking to get hit in the face, pay attention people.

still cant see how the shells hit guys in the face, unless your stood on top of the guy that is, and realy anyone on a field/stand/station should be looking out for debris from the birds or "face smashing shells"

jmo :/ i still think the shooting fraternity should look a little more at the "old school" attitude with autos, there are a lot out there, its a great tool for tuition, also for women and kids to shoot with lighter gun less recoil, great way to encourage new shooters into the sport . :good:

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

I am lucky enough to own both O/U and semi, and this question never really crossed my mind, but when I shoot DTL I focus completely on the target. I've only shot DTL with an O/U.

I watch the targets so intently that I honestly think I would not notice if the shot next to me was sending his empties flying in my direction until one slapped me in the chops or bashed my gun.

I'd be reluctant to try the semi on DTL unless I really knew the ground and the other shooters, or had the O/U with me in case ejected shells were problematic.