should i get a shotgun

pedro68

hi there, im looking for some advice really, im currently shooting air rifles and was thinking of applying for my shotgun licence , the farmer on one of my permission has said i should,im shooting pigeons from a hide with a few decoys out and using an air rifle with limited success ,my bag would increase i think with a shotgun as with the air rifle i have to wait until a pigeon lands to get a shot off, but do i need a gun dog to pick up etc as i have read that you really need one to find all the shot birds and retrieve pricked birds etc,the reason i ask is i already have a pet dog and another dog is not an option and so was wondering if it was worth going down the shotty road or not. any advice would be great.

Peter

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its very difficult to get pigeon shooting permission with just an air rifle, especially on arable farms.

Farmers like to hear a big bang every now and then (even if you miss the pigeon). :yes:

You don't need a gundog for pigeon shooting , but its something you may consider in later years.

So my advice would be to apply for your SGC and get started. :good:

Its very difficult to get pigeon shooting permission with just an air rifle, especially on arable farms.

Farmers like to hear a big bang every now and then (even if you miss the pigeon). :yes:

You don't need a gundog for pigeon shooting , but its something you may consider in later years.

So my advice would be to apply for your SGC and get started. :good:

:thumbs: :good:

Your from Scotland first join SACS before you apply for a certificate pity you werent at Dalkieth at the weekend we had air rifles and clays free of charge for youngsters some of the youngsters got their dads to bring their airguns and the boys from Juniper Green airgun club helped them to Zero them good job all round :good:

I use a dog and find my outings more enjoyable for it , but they are by no means a must have , yes you may lose a few more birds in tall crops but the farmer is not going to be worried about that , your in a fortunate position in already having the permission so I would say its definately time for a shotgun , it will transform your pigeon shooting !

thanks for the replys guys , im very close to going for it, just not quite sure yet, i have no one to show me the ropes as yet, i have £400 saved for a gun and cabinet, i dont know what il get for that and also what does it cost to apply for the licence,i will look into sacs as well.

Peter

ok ,now if and i prob will go for it which choke should i go for , i have read that you get ones you can change , but i dnt know if my money covers that, what choke would you use for pigeons etc, just so i know what im looking for.

Peter

the guy in the gun shop reconed it would take 6 weeks to get it providing there was no problems , the land owner has given me written permission but said if i applied for it to come and see him ,does he have apart to fill out on the form, and do i need the gun cabinet first so they police can check because if they refuse me im left with a cabinet , altough i cant see why i would be refused.Sorry for so many questions but i dnt have any idea what happens etc

Peter

For shotguns on mainland uk permission in writing isn't required it is for FAC you may as well put in for both if you have permission it £60 instead of £50 and ammo for firearms (rifles ) needs to be locked up separately 6 weeks is possible depends where you are, also you need referrees1 for SGC 2 for FAC

Edited by HDAV

yeah i think that i might try that,just to see how i get on ,im sure there somewhere pretty close to me.im hoping if i get my licence that my some of my other permission may grant me permission for the shotty also ,,i have a lot of ground to shoot over , some is only suitable for air rifles but many hundereds of acres are good for shotgun, it will be a steep learning curve trying to teach myself the basics,i think some clay shooting and this forum will help alot . cheers guys

Peter

BASC membership is worth considering, they offer help and advise as well as insurance.

Put in the application for a SGC, don't worry about the gun or chokes - absolutely anything will do to hit the pigeons, worry about finding something you like nearer the time.

If you buy a cabinet and install it before you get a visit for your SGC application it will speed things up, however if you aren't certain that you'll get granted one then you don't have to buy a cabinet first, however it will delay it slightly as your FEO will need to come back to check you have installed one when your certificate is granted.

You need somebody to countersign your shotgun certificate, 4 photos and then stick it in the post, it's simple. How long it takes depends on which licencing authority you are with, it can be a couple of weeks to 6 months!

the farmer must be going to sign it as a reference ,he is a big land owner in my area and i only have a small part of his land but this my change if i get this . i know that people are saying dont worry about chokes and stuff but what about side by side , or over and under or semi auto , whats the best option there.

Peter

the farmer must be going to sign it as a reference ,. i know that people are saying dont worry about chokes and stuff but what about side by side , or over and under or semi auto , whats the best option there.

Peter

has farmer known you personally for over 2 years?

Don't worry about the gun until you have a cert, and spend some money on some lessons totally different to what you are used to! Aim at a moving target with shotgun ( or any gun) and you'll miss every time

the farmer must be going to sign it as a reference ,he is a big land owner in my area and i only have a small part of his land but this my change if i get this . i know that people are saying dont worry about chokes and stuff but what about side by side , or over and under or semi auto , whats the best option there.

Peter

As I recall the referee must have known you for at least 2 years, more is better.

SxS or OU or semi... it's mainly a matter of what you prefer. A semi can perhaps be handy in a hide as it holds 3 shots and is easy to reload, but for someone starting out I'd strongly suggest a break action, probably OU as most people seem to prefer them. The important thing is to find a gun in good condition that fits you well - and any choke should do, though avoid the tight chokes as they can make it harder to hit things. Practise on clays would probably be essential if you haven't done much with a shotgun.

i have been shooting on this particular farmers land for a couple of years and approaching a couple of years on several others ,i understand what your saying regarding shooting a shotgun and an air rifle ,i defo need to get some experience under my belt , the last time i spoke to the farmer he said the boys he shot with back in the day have all sadly passed away and he must be in his seventies , maybe i can talk him into and outing with me . Im hoping to do a job for this guy and im sure it will lead to more shooting permission in the end . cheers again guys.

Peter