should i get a shotgun

pedro68

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha he doesnt drink, already been down that road , if off to bed , up at 6 for work and all i can think about is shooting , my head is birling , il pick this up tomorrow though as iv got loads more questions . cheers for the advive . good nicht.

Peter

the guy in the gun shop reconed it would take 6 weeks to get it providing there was no problems , the land owner has given me written permission but said if i applied for it to come and see him ,does he have apart to fill out on the form, and do i need the gun cabinet first so they police can check because if they refuse me im left with a cabinet , altough i cant see why i would be refused.Sorry for so many questions but i dnt have any idea what happens etc

Peter

When I applied I was told to wait untill I get a phone call to say he is coming for an interveiw and then get the cabinet just in case something was up so I hadn't wasted any money on a cabinet. When he rang I asked him if now would be a good time to buy a cabinet and he said yes. I still didn't have it fitted when he came round so after the interveiw I showed him where I was going to go, he said that's fine. I fitted it as soon as it came and he came round just to check it and my cert came a few days after.

You don't need written permission to shoot on land to get a SGC, unlike a fac. He will probably ask why you want one and all you nee to say is vermin control or clays.

Hope that helps.

All the best.

Mine went:

1 application

2 FEO interview and the go ahead

3 bought and fitted cabinet

4 FEO visited again, checked cab, handed me licence

Job done. Good luck.

:stupid:

As above if i had my time again i would have bought cabinet first, as there were no issues at all.

Some one who has known you for over 2 years and is of a reputable character like a doctor, teacher, or simular standing is ideal though you may find others that are suitable and easier to sign that they have known you, the land owner could well fall into the reptuable person group.

The fixing of a gun cabinate varies area to area, in mine they request the cabinate is fitted before they visit but will advise on their prefered locations. Other FEO's will visit you then request you fit the cabinate and give them a call once fitted. Its probally best to ring your FEO for their advice on this one.

When you fill in the form there are 2 sections asking about medical and convition history (including motoring) fill these in if you have any as will save hassel later if you forgot to add them.

the guy in the gun shop reconed it would take 6 weeks to get it providing there was no problems , the land owner has given me written permission but said if i applied for it to come and see him ,does he have apart to fill out on the form, and do i need the gun cabinet first so they police can check because if they refuse me im left with a cabinet , altough i cant see why i would be refused.Sorry for so many questions but i dnt have any idea what happens etc

Peter

i thought the same but was told.get the safe so they can check thats ok & then they'll go ahead with the ticket good luck mate i'm in about the same position but got the shotgun & i'm now out when i can(scareing them at the mo) :shoot: :unsure:

Edited by hobgoblin

Mine took less than a month I think recently. First visit for a chat and second too check the cabinet. Didn't even touch it or try and move it. I was really disappointed as I did an unusually good job of securing it

When the FEO came to see me for my interview, he just looked at my cabinet, didnt so much as tickle it. Very disappointing isn't it? :lol:

took me 6 months from application to receiving sgc ... don't worry about the cost of a gun...i got a lincoln no2 multichoke as new for £150 and just bought a side by side for the son to use 'when he is home from the army', it was £80 from glenluce gunroom. Its nothing special but it goes bang and kills what its pointing at :good:

I think im pretty much decided to go for it,still just a slight nagging doubt because its miles away from airgunning ,thanks for all the advice and help from everyone and if or should i say when i go for it and the gun prices you mentioned are the norm then i will get a half decent gun aswell,i will have to ge the ball rolling now. thanks again.

Peter

I think im pretty much decided to go for it,still just a slight nagging doubt because its miles away from airgunning ,thanks for all the advice and help from everyone and if or should i say when i go for it and the gun prices you mentioned are the norm then i will get a half decent gun aswell,i will have to ge the ball rolling now. thanks again.

Peter

Worst case scenario if you don't like shotgunning (and I can't imagine that anybody who shoots anything could not like shotguns!). £50 application fee, lose a few quid after selling the cabinet and a couple of quid lost on selling the shotgun - very small amounts really if you buy things at the right price then sell them.

The worst case really assuming you like the shotgunning is that you'll end up spending a fortune on shotgun bits, another gun, just one more, and this one, need another cabinet - that's the real danger of it!

Worst case scenario if you don't like shotgunning (and I can't imagine that anybody who shoots anything could not like shotguns!). £50 application fee, lose a few quid after selling the cabinet and a couple of quid lost on selling the shotgun - very small amounts really if you buy things at the right price then sell them.

The worst case really assuming you like the shotgunning is that you'll end up spending a fortune on shotgun bits, another gun, just one more, and this one, need another cabinet - that's the real danger of it!

:stupid:

Proper advice as I,ve now got 2 cabinets and I'm looking at building a gun room now out of a walk in brick cupboard.

Just do it you won't regret it and as somebody else has said put in for your FAC at the same time only £10 more, maybe just a .22 and a .17hmr for them pesky bunnies. You don't have to buy the guns straight away but you will need a cabinet with a locking ammo section and they come up on here 2nd hand from time to time.

You don't have to buy the guns straight away but you will need a cabinet with a locking ammo section and they come up on here 2nd hand from time to time.

OR a shotgun type cabinet and a small safe for ammo. For the extra £10 if you have permission the hard bit and there is nothing in your past to prevent you I think you would be daft not to file the extra paperwork. You'll need an extra referee and perhps a bit of patience.

now im thinking about applying for the lot ,fac and shotgun as like you say its only £10 more , would i need to have the ground i have to shoot on checked to see if its FAC rated,maybe i should just learn to walk before i can run haha. i Will speak to the farmer this weekend i think and see where we are after that. Cheers for the comment Guys.

Peter

now im thinking about applying for the lot ,fac and shotgun as like you say its only £10 more , would i need to have the ground i have to shoot on checked to see if its FAC rated,maybe i should just learn to walk before i can run haha. i Will speak to the farmer this weekend i think and see where we are after that. Cheers for the comment Guys.

Peter

It's not usually a big deal if the land is not already passed, they will just have a look at it and hopefully pass it and it shouldn't be an issue. You can put in for the FAC, when they come back to you they'll tell you if the land you put down is passed or not and it'll go from there.

There's a bit more to a FAC application, you need two referees, but it's not all that much more hassle really - well worth it in my view, I wish I'd put in for a FAC when I got my SGC instead of waiting then having to go through the whole lot again, doing it all together is good.

I can't imagine not having rifles now - as your coming from air rifles just think that even your standard .22lr is just as quiet, around 8x the power of an air gun and great up to 100 yards without difficulty.

Edited by bedwards1966

Guest cookoff013

without boring you again with the info thats allready been stated.

shotgunning is a totally different skillset than rifles. learn to shoot.

chokes are a funny thing. use 1/2 for everything to begin with, it wont be a disadvantage or an advantage.

hey, have fun.