Rabbit Population Question

new to the flock

I was driving along today and got to wondering why it is that England has such a healthy rabbit population, while ours is sustainable. We do not have the numbers here that you do.

Now I know we have a few more predators than you do with coyotes and skunks,raccoons and opposoms, as well as the avian predators. But I do not see that being enough to sway the balance. We both also have abundant food sources and climate is very simalar.

Our rabbits also cycle roughly every 7 years with a population crash, and then numbers building back up.

First off I am wondering our we dealing with the same species of rabbit? As there are 8 subspecies of rabbits in North America the species that we have is the Eastern Cottentail..... Sylvilagus floridanus. We also have 5 species of hares two of which are common here the European Hare ..... Lepus europaeus and the Snow shoe Hare......... Lepus americanus.

In the UK we have,Oryctolagus cuniculus,which came from Iberia via Romans/Normans.......whatever and is a hardy little "person" able to live through sub desert to near alpine conditions.

However it`s only true foe is mixy and even that is getting less and less.

Dan forget the Latin and sub species, the English rabbits is randier :lol:

Oh, I dunno. Lepus Rabbitus Go-atit-likea-bunnyus sounds rather good.

And like Henry d says

the Oryctolagus cunnilingus was featured in History lessons when I was at skool but only orally :oops:

Dave

Henry,

It has to be the differant make up of the breeds. About the only real differance I can think of between the two is our cotton tail is quite comfortable living above ground in brush piles logs etc. Now that said they will also burrow but our warrens are far less extensive than you would have. Having hunted both I find it very interesting as in appearance and general behaviour they are very similar.

Want to slip a couple of breeding pair into an envelope and post them over for me please? I would like to see if they can populate well over here as well. :oops::lol::lol::lol:

NTTF

Henry,

It has to be the differant make up of the breeds. About the only real differance I can think of between the two is our cotton tail is quite comfortable living above ground in brush piles logs etc. Now that said they will also burrow but our warrens are far less extensive than you would have. Having hunted both I find it very interesting as in appearance and general behaviour they are very similar.

Want to slip a couple of breeding pair into an envelope and post them over for me please? I would like to see if they can populate well over here as well. :oops::lol::lol::lol:

NTTF

Consider it done Dan :D

LB