Problem stand

poorpeet

There is one stand at our local ground that we all seem to struggle with. By which I mean 2 to 4 out of 10 on a good day.

The trap is set below ground level about 10 yards out and sends random birds away.

You shoot from either behind it or behind and just slightly to the left.

Just can't seem to get to grips with it but I think we may be trying to take it too early as its disappearing down range at a rate of knots!

Any tips for this type of bird?

It's not under my feet. it starts below ground and about ten yards out. There is a stand on this shoot with a small tower that you stand on and shoot a going away clay that is launched from the base of the tower. Hardly ever miss that one which is kind of why I don't understand why I can't hit this one.

• 5 months later...

if its an excuse to by a new gun then go for it, but it wont make you shoot any better. if you are having trouble shooting a certain bird ask somone. to see where you shooting . i shoot with a lamber 1/4 1/4 no problem just taken out a browning 325 slightly longer stock and shot 74-100 there is one stand i had trouble with but i will ask paul who runs and sets up the shoot to show me so ask ok best of luck

The obvious question is "where does the clay land?" Watching where the unbroken clay lands will tell you the direction of flight, any move it makes off line, how far it's going etc. etc.

Quite often a going away seems fast but then lands only 35 yds away. If it starts below you does it ever get above your feet - if it doesn't then no point in starting with the gun higher.

In fact, one of the best bits of advice I was given is to watch where the clay lands and work it back from there. And if you really can't hit it then try rifling it - not ideal but it can make sure you get right on the back of it. Start with the clay on top of the bead and then work up to cover it.

If I undestand you correctly the bird is low- going away, but not rising too fast, if that is it then keep the gun below the clay, if you are shooting down onto a bird these are often missed above. Our brain does not like us shooting down toward the ground, another option is to let it rise and then blot it out and pull the trigger, also be carefull of pushing the gun to fast through the target. When you do hit one pause and take a moment to memorise the shot, and where you shot it. Then try to repeat it.

good luck

Sounds like gun hold point. You will have to find what works for you. If you feel the target gets the jump on you try holding further out. Once the timing is comfortable then work on soft focus in front of the GHP.

Lock your eyes on the clay then fire as you go through the target.

Regards

G

Edited by BigG

• 2 months later...