Racing Pigeon Just Flew Into PH Towers

ph5172

After some advice.

Just had a young racing pigeon fly into our balcony and become trapped between the door and the rails.

Its tagged and i have reported it, but what do i do now, as the site says they will contact me within 48hrs.

It appears to be OK, with a possible wing injury but handles with no apparent discomfort, it is tame and a very nice looking bird.

What do i feed it and can i keep it in a box, and can a bowl of water be put in?

I dont really want to try and launch it as i dont want it to crash land or attempt to fly and come down out of reach... and no im not making it into a pie!!

immidiate issues resolved!!

Water

Most lost birds are hungry and thirsty. Water is necessary before all else. Since pigeons drink by suction, any water container should be at least 1 in. (2.5 cm) deep. An open container, i.e., a dish, an old margarine container tub, etc., is best. While a thirsty bird may drink immediately, it also may not. A bird which has gone without water for a while is sometimes a bit less than itself. It may be so exhausted, it doesn't even realise that water is in front of it, especially if the water container you use is different from what it is familiar with. A trick I've often used is to trickle a few drops of water from on high into the container to make a splashing sound. When they hear that, most birds will invariably head to drink. If a bird looks really exhausted, Gatorade or other proprietary sports drink may be added to the water. A teaspoon or two per cup (250 ml) of water will help replenish electrolytes.

Food

Pigeons are grain eaters. While park pigeons will eat bread, most domestic birds have been raised on a multi-grain mixture and have never seen a slice of it. In fact, they would likely ignore it as possible food. Instead of bread, you might try feeding them something else from around the house. Popcorn (maize), rice, split peas, barley, buckwheat (kasha), canary seed, etc., are all good first options to feed a lost bird with. These Grains Should Not Be Cooked Or Popped But Fed Raw. Water should also be provided since pigeons normally drink immediately after eating.

What should I keep it in

Any container that a dog or cat can't get into will be fine. An old bird cage will hold the pigeon for a day or so with no problem, as will a cardboard box - a screen on top of such a box is better than simply closing the flaps since there will then be enough light for the bird to see to eat and drink.

After some advice.

Just had a young racing pigeon fly into our balcony and become trapped between the door and the rails.

Its tagged and i have reported it, but what do i do now, as the site says they will contact me within 48hrs.

It appears to be OK, with a possible wing injury but handles with no apparent discomfort, it is tame and a very nice looking bird.

What do i feed it and can i keep it in a box, and can a bowl of water be put in?

I dont really want to try and launch it as i dont want it to crash land or attempt to fly and come down out of reach... and no im not making it into a pie!!

Quote "Racing Pigeon Just Flew Into PH Towers"

Did you leave the landing light on :unsure: :lol:

Poor think must be traumatised. I suggest you give it a gentle massage. A lingering foot massage too. Don't forget to pay special attention between the toes.

Then give it a good British fry up, with black pudding and eggs over easy. Lay it in a shoe box of cotton wool and sing a gentle lullaby so the poor mite can get some sleep and recover. Maybe a stiff 100 year old Malt may help the little poppet to get to sleep too..

Poor think must be traumatised. I suggest you give it a gentle massage. A lingering foot massage too. Don't forget to pay special attention between the toes.

Then give it a good British fry up, with black pudding and eggs over easy. Lay it in a shoe box of cotton wool and sing a gentle lullaby so the poor mite can get some sleep and recover. Maybe a stiff 100 year old Malt may help the little poppet to get to sleep too..

Do I detect a tiny hint of sarcasm there?

After some advice.

hi ph , your doing the right things deep dish of water & some seed ( any wild bird seed will do )keep it in a box somewhere quiet. if you have reported it to the rpra,you could ring them again & ask for the phone number of the owner , so you can get it back to them asap. dont worry about what someone has said on here about the owner ringing its neck. i keep racers myself & would want the bird back if it was mine. if you need any help to do with this matter please pm me. thanks for doing the right thing !!! boxlock

hi ph , your doing the right things deep dish of water & some seed ( any wild bird seed will do )keep it in a box somewhere quiet. if you have reported it to the rpra,you could ring them again & ask for the phone number of the owner , so you can get it back to them asap. dont worry about what someone has said on here about the owner ringing its neck. i keep racers myself & would want the bird back if it was mine. if you need any help to do with this matter please pm me. thanks for doing the right thing !!! boxlock

Well done for been about a 1% statistic...

Most seem to ring the necks at a drop of a hat.

Well done for been about a 1% statistic...

Most seem to ring the necks at a drop of a hat.

i dont think your right on that one. if the bird was badly injured & the best thing to do was to put it out of its misery, then yes the owner would put it down. but being its a young bird that has probly just been let out & has gone astray, the owner will most probly be glad to have it back

Hi,Yes you have done the right thing,sometimes a bird maybe valuable to the owner for bloodline purposes .We kept racers from about 1950 to around 1962 .I can recall a bird being reported only about 30 40 miles away from home it was on time to be a reasonable bird in the race judging on the information given by its captor. However it had had its one eye knocked out. We had this bird returned and kept it for the bloodline although it was never raced again its offspring did ok . bb

have you checked its wings

most racing pigeons will have the owners telephone numbers stamped on the last three wing feathers

good point - or check the ring on its leg, if its in a race it will have a flexible plastic ring on as well as the rigid id tag, you may find a telephone number in it :good:

I ad 1 yesterday it had a ring on its leg with a mobile number I know alot of racing pigeons rest up and should be left but decided to give the number a call , turned out to be one of this years birds which had escaped the loft.

Normally I would let it be but the dog insisted as was carrying it round for a while , put it with the hen chics & he picked it up last night happy all round

The owner was traced using the Ring Number (it was not wing marked)

It was in a race from Cheltenham to Burton.

It was re flown yesterday after a nighs rest and food/water and should arrive back today?