foxes the second set

cocker3

well as some of you may know i found a couple of fox sets last saturday and sorted one set out last weekend well friday was a wash out and never got out in the morning and was at verminator69 sons wedding on friday night (great night gaji btw)so after getting home at1 am i set my sights on getting out at first light 4.45am after a quick coofee this morning(black very back coffee)oh and 3 cans of red bull :lol: i made the 15 minute journey to my shoot i arrived at the set no sign of the cubs or vixenbut it was a frosty cold morning but the sky was clear and hoped it would warm up quickly and so it did by 5.45 the sun was warming nicely and then the vixen popped out one of the holes and walked about 20 yards out into the field and had a good stretch and a pee the cubs soon followed and 4 cubs later the family were out enjoying the morning sun (if only they realised it would be there last .

i decided that i would give it 15 minutes to see if daddy would bring some breakfast but he never showed so put the cross hair on the vixen and sent some of sakos finest off for a meeting with her chest and befor the cubs could make the safety of the set cubs 1 and 2 were in the bag too. i sat for another 40 minutes 3 4 AND 5 slowly came back out to see where mum was i let them come all the way out the the now very dead vixen and took the cub closest to the set first and then the next 2 as they scuttled back to the edge of the set .i sat till 8 am to see if any more cubs showed up but none did after removing the vixens head (a dentist needs them for training)i headed home one happy lad 16 foxes in 7 days now for sum sleep :lol::lol::lol:

post-15459-0-43377900-1336823379.jpg

Very adroitly accomplished!! You showed some real field sills in waiting for the remaining cubs to reappear, and your shooting is obviously on the mark. Good Job!

thanks timothy id didnt want to leave any cubs if possible as i shot a dog fox very near to this set a few weeks back and with the vixen dead now any remaining cubs whould have starved slowly some times you just have to put in some extra time on the job :good:

well done mate

thanks buddy :good:

Another job executed well Cocker :good:thanks buddy :good::good: executed being the word :yp:

Well done on taking the time out and doing the job properly :good:

thanks buddy as they say if a jobs worth doing its worth doing well:good: :good:

It is often that "Going the extra mile" to make sure that the job is done properly that makes all the difference and makes the responsible shooters stand out above the others, and you have certainly done the job really well and professionally!

I raise my hat to you for your thought and professionalism! :good::good::good:

I wish it could still be that easy for me, I have taken care of 1 set of cubs off the shoot but after sitting out the last few nights it looks like the other 2 earths have emptied and the occupants have moved on, time to put out extra snares and will be lamping 7 days a week now till the are accounted for :good:

Hi Cocker3, well done that man, just to ask a bit of advice i have just found a fox set and sat out on fri and saturday night from 7-30 pm to 11-30 & 7-30 till 12-30 on saturday using day and night vision.

Watched an incredible 9 cubs (never seen that many before) but no adults turned up at all.

Going to have another look in the next day or two weather permitting but getting a bit worried as grass and crops seem to be growing before your eyes.

Do i take the cubs out while i have got the chance as i cannot believe i havn't seen an adult with all them hungry mouths to feed, another thing is the cubs are starting to wander quite away from the set, so i'm a bit worried about being able to pick them all off.

The one thing i do need to try is to get down there first thing but at the moment work getting in the way.

If anybody got on suggestions be much appreciated cheers Smokey

It is often that "Going the extra mile" to make sure that the job is done properly that makes all the difference and makes the responsible shooters stand out above the others, and you have certainly done the job really well and professionally!

I raise my hat to you for your thought and professionalism! :good::good::good:

thank you pete i dont take any pleasure in shooting cub but if i am going to i want to do it as swiftly and cleanly as possible and above all else do it right they may well be foxes but you still have to respect them :good::good:

I wish it could still be that easy for me, I have taken care of 1 set of cubs off the shoot but after sitting out the last few nights it looks like the other 2 earths have emptied and the occupants have moved on, time to put out extra snares and will be lamping 7 days a week now till the are accounted for :good:

thanks buddy hope you get them sooner rather than later am prity sure she will not have moved them far :good:

Well done mate.Good result!

thanks buddy :good::good::good:

a good result and well dealt with :good:

thanks buddy :good:

Hi Cocker3, well done that man, just to ask a bit of advice i have just found a fox set and sat out on fri and saturday night from 7-30 pm to 11-30 & 7-30 till 12-30 on saturday using day and night vision.

Watched an incredible 9 cubs (never seen that many before) but no adults turned up at all.

Going to have another look in the next day or two weather permitting but getting a bit worried as grass and crops seem to be growing before your eyes.

Do i take the cubs out while i have got the chance as i cannot believe i havn't seen an adult with all them hungry mouths to feed, another thing is the cubs are starting to wander quite away from the set, so i'm a bit worried about being able to pick them all off.

The one thing i do need to try is to get down there first thing but at the moment work getting in the way.

If anybody got on suggestions be much appreciated cheers Smokey

hi buddy i am buy no means and expert and am sure there will be others on here that will have a better idea of how to deal with this problem but will tell you how i would do it from what you say the cubs must be quite big to be wandering too far from the set there will be a dog and vixen about but for 9 cub they will be hunting flat out to feed them all.what body parts are round the set ie rabbits pheasants chickens some times you can get the dog and vixen at the food source if you can figure out where they are hunting (easy meals ) early morning is the best time to shoot them as the dog and vixen will have been hunting all night and will want to spend some time with the cubs as the sun comes up and warms the air (i have shot most of my foxes with cubs in the first hour and a half of a morning ) i have had great results with baiting the set also . get a rabbit and place it out early afternoon about 50 yards from the set or where you can get a clear shot the the dog and the vixen will not pass up and easy meal then on the on the second day wrap it in chicken wire and peg it out firmly so they cant lift it they should sit and pull bits off for a good while .if all else fails shoot the cubs first( 9 less mouths to feed ) then get the dog and vixen with the lamp but doing this first you will have to wait it out for all the cubs cos she will shift them as soon as she see,s whats goin on

hope this helps and you get it sorted quickly

atb andy

Edited by Teal

nice one,

ref the 9 cubs funnily enough we sat out on Friday night after the same number were seen on Thursday night, one vixen was shot then and a couple of cubs. Friday we didn't see the cubs but I did shoot a second vixen so two litters playing together by the looks of it. My advice is try for the vixen and dog first as then its an easy mop up job but sometimes you just have to shoot the cubs as quick as you can. Any now don't get to grow up and be harder to deal with once any birds are released.

hi buddy i am buy no means and expert and am sure there will be others on here that will have a better idea of how to deal with this problem but will tell you how i would do it from what you say the cubs must be quite big to be wandering too far from the set there will be a dog and vixen about but for 9 cub they will be hunting flat out to feed them all.what body parts are round the set ie rabbits pheasants chickens some times you can get the dog and vixen at the food source if you can figure out where they are hunting (easy meals ) early morning is the best time to shoot them as the dog and vixen will have been hunting all night and will want to spend some time with the cubs as the sun comes up and warms the air (i have shot most of my foxes with cubs in the first hour and a half of a morning ) i have had great results with baiting the set also . get a rabbit and place it out early afternoon about 50 yards from the set or where you can get a clear shot the the dog and the vixen will not pass up and easy meal then on the on the second day wrap it in chicken wire and peg it out firmly so they cant lift it they should sit and pull bits off for a good while .if all else fails shoot the cubs first( 9 less mouths to feed ) then get the dog and vixen with the lamp but doing this first you will have to wait it out for all the cubs cos she will shift them as soon as she see,s whats goin on

hope this helps and you get it sorted quickly

atb andy

Many thanks Cocker3 havn't actually been near the set have been sitting directly across the field opposite the set behind the hedge.

i cover the truck over with nets then sit on the spare wheel and shoot over the roof of the motor. surprising how comfortable it is sitting there for a few hours.

going to have another sit tomorrow night then going to have a go early morning if no luck looks like will like you say take out the cubs and try the adults with the lamp cheers for all replies Smokey

Many thanks Cocker3 havn't actually been near the set have been sitting directly across the field opposite the set behind the hedge.

i cover the truck over with nets then sit on the spare wheel and shoot over the roof of the motor. surprising how comfortable it is sitting there for a few hours.

going to have another sit tomorrow night then going to have a go early morning if no luck looks like will like you say take out the cubs and try the adults with the lamp cheers for all replies Smokey

no problem any time buddy hope you sort them out quickly :good: :good: