fox brushes

Bewsher500

what do you do with them?

I kept a couple from a couple I shot in the garden but don't keep them normally.

Are they worth anything to anybody? I just assumed there were so many floating about it that there was unlikely to be a "shortage"

I just left the tail in and let it dry.

could bone and treat with Alum or salt I suppose.

My Canadian neighbour treated fur bearing leather with a very watery porridge mixture (oatmeat/oats and water)

then dried and stretched to keep soft

i was told to bone it &soak it for a month in methalated spirit then wash in detergent.... well after 1month i tookit out started to wash it ...all the fur dropped off!!! not worth the bother!

That's the method I used, sometimes bone them sometimes not, soak for a maximum of 2 weeks, give them a wash and hang on the line to dry

Come out great :good:

About 45 years ago I used to get £1.00 for an adult fox brush and 10 shillings for a cubs.

This was from the local rabbit clearance society.

At the time I was employed as a Pest Officer by the Ministry of Agriculture, my wage was £14.00 a weeks plus 5 shilling towards the upkeep of two dogs and 2/6p for the ferrets.

That's the method I used, sometimes bone them sometimes not, soak for a maximum of 2 weeks, give them a wash and hang on the line to dry

maybe thats where i went wrong :blush: left it a month(told by a friend) :rolleyes:

maybe thats where i went wrong.told a month bt a mate :rolleyes: !

another method is to leave it attached to its owner, run your knife around the base of the tail ,get a hazel stick like a twig split it place the stick either side of the brush squeeze together and in one fast movement pull the stick towards you .the brush should come cleanly away leaveing the bone behind on a freashly killed fox .

another method is to leave it attached to its owner, run your knife around the base of the tail ,get a hazel stick like a twig split it place the stick either side of the brush squeeze together and in one fast movement pull the stick towards you .the brush should come cleanly away leaveing the bone behind on a freashly killed fox .

So you would have the tail between the two halves (almost like you have threaded a needle) and pinch the open end back together again?

So you would have the tail between the two halves (almost like you have threaded a needle) and pinch the open end back together again?

Yep that's it :good:

Have a look back through the video section, there is a good demo vid using a hacksaw blade, that's what I use, works a treat