Labrador

Cosd

Do these shed a lot of hair? Mine would be a house dog.

Contemplating which dog to get, the wife wants a big dog and I'm thinking I can convince her to get a black lab which I can also traing for retrieve.

Do these shed a lot of hair? Mine would be a house dog.

Contemplating which dog to get, the wife wants a big dog and I'm thinking I can convince her to get a black lab which I can also traing for retrieve.

Labradors do have a very good coat and so the answer is yes they do shed a lot of hair. A good wire brushing ones a week sorts it out.

Edited by Actionpigeons

Omg, we have had labs for years and yes they shed it twice a year, well that is my experience.

My curent lab bless her is shedding hair like it is going out of fashion. She looks like a moulting rabbit, thin patches with only one coat and the rest of her all bushy like a soldiers bear skin where she still has both coats.

Mrs has to hoover twice a day at the moment, you can do a carrier bag of hair off of her a week.

Best you dont let the mrs know about the prospect of hoovering that much !

Lovely dogs mind you.

Good luck.

Schmoo.

Don't let the above put you off mate :oops:

The best mate you'll ever have

Will come half trained at 8 weeks old

And will serve you well

Get one! shame I didn't have a litter this year :/

Forgot to add the Mrs will love it & so will the kids

'HAIR' thats what hoovers are for :lol:

SS

Edited by Stealth Stalker

And will serve you well

SS

couldn't agree more, easy to train and good with the family :good: even if mine is a chocalate :rolleyes: can jump easily into a d2 ;) very loving and loyal. p.s all dogs moult in the house, i have had jack russels, spaniels etc labs are no worse for hair loss :good:

And will serve you well

SS

Sorry if it looked like I was trying to deter you from getting one, this isn't the case.

I.wouldn't change any of my previous labs or the nut case one I have now, bless her for the world.

They are loving, affectionate, loyal, everything you want from a new member of the family, its going to be a massive part of your families lives for the next 10-15 odd years.

I just wanted you to be aware that they do shed hair, wouldnt have wanted you to get a dog, and get narked with the hair at a later date, some owners have got rid of dogs for lesser things.

My current lab was a rescue as she was too lively for her owner ! Thats what dogs do, but thats another gripe for another day.

Nothing a good bit of training hasnt fixed, best one I have had to date. Shes 3 going on 3 months !

Good luck in your quest, you wont go far wrong with a lad, end of.

Regards Schmoo.

Edited by Schmoo

Thanks lads

I got the answers I expected really, though by some miracle I was hoping to hear otherwise. I've got to have a good hard think, the wife wants a big dog and so if I don't get a lab we'll end up with a Mastiff of some sort which is what we had before. She was a beautiful dog but would be useless for retrieving.

We're looking at houses at the moment so could think about an outhouse for him/her, but I would prefer an indoor dog as she would be a pet as well as working.

Cos

Firstly you think about getting a Labrador.

Then you think about getting a Mastiff.

Then a German Shepherd.

Spaniel, Irish Setter, Wolf Hound, Lurcher, the 'thing' you saw on holiday, Collie, etc.

Then you think about shooting.

So you buy a Labrador and live happily ever after.

Dear god! We have to empty our dyson every couple of days or so and I give him a good brush with the furminator most days but I would never let that put me off. I would have another tomorrow. They are great dogs. We love ours to bits and he makes us laugh everyday. The fur shedding is the only con with a lab and the list of pros could go on forever.

i find my lab bitch sheds more hair when getting in her winter coat for some reason .

the rest of the year she aint to bad , apart from the now as she has had pups and has blown her coat .

great dogs to have in the house as very laid back once mature and loyal .

i kept a pup so hair will be double now but i can live with that (good hoover and wife)