DIABTIC ADVICE

VULTURE

Hi Just been diagnosed as type 2 Diabetic and have been prescribed Metformin 500mg and have been told to cut out as much suger as i can and now i cannot enjoy a cup of tea any more as the sweeteners i have tried are disgusting with a foul after-taste.

So can anyone recommend a decent sweetener/substitute as i'm missing my morning cup of tea. :hmm:

Cheers Vulture

I use Sweetners, Hermesettas, also the powdered stuff that asda sells, called "simply sweet" for cereal, the powder is sweeter than normal sugar though so its trial and error.

Also have they told you about the "side effects" of Metformin? makes you VERY "loose" till your body gets used to it.

At least you will get free prescriptions from now on :good:

Welcome to the club

:shaun:

I had to stop adding sugar to my food in 1975, I missed it most in my drinks. I also found that most of the sweeteners taste vile, as you say, and the others can give you the squits! I decided to stop all sweeteners in drinks at that point. It took about a (Horrid) month of nasty tea/coffee until my taste buds got used to it, but I couldn't go back to tea/coffee with sugar now - it tastes awful. Stick with it, you will save money on sweeteners as well and no more bags of sugar in the field, full of ants etc...

Turned out I wasn't diabetic at the end of all the tests, anyway - but as Shaun says, free Px! :oops: I get them too, as I have hypothyroid disease, not much consolation, but pays for a few cartridges! Hope the diabetes settles quickly for you, take care...

I used to have 3 sugars in my tea , I was told that if I could drink it for a week without would never want it again , the advice was spot on ,a week after giving up sugar in my tea I tried it again and it tasted awful not had sugar in tea since.

Vulture, dont be too severe on what you cut out, i did when i was first diagnosed but realised that i could still have sugarey treats, being to severe can increase the effectiveness of your drugs causing you to have a hypo.

I will warn you now hypos are not very pleasant but you will soon know what they feel like when they start to come on, my first one was a shock because i did not know what it was, no one had told me about them.

Ian.

Vulture, dont be too severe on what you cut out, i did when i was first diagnosed but realised that i could still have sugarey treats, being to severe can increase the effectiveness of your drugs causing you to have a hypo.

I will warn you now hypos are not very pleasant but you will soon know what they feel like when they start to come on, my first one was a shock because i did not know what it was, no one had told me about them.

Ian.

wise words.

Have you seen the diabetic nurse yet ? I find them better than the GP, also try and get them to refer you to the chiropodist. Sadly things will only get worse but you can slow it down a lotand lead a virtually normal life. Try to do things slowly and not change everything at once and try not to worry about it. They will almost certainly tell you that you have high blood pressure and cholesterol too, be sensible and you can live a long almost normal life.

I may be wrong but I dont think you can hypo on metformin as long as you eat regularly, little and often. try and see a dietician they will give what advice you need regarding food, normally slow release carbs no sugar and cut out fat. I have found that everyone gives you different advice it's certainly opinionated and the best are the diabetic nurses.You will also get free eye tests. Try not to worry about it a normal life is liveable just have to get used to regular blood tests and being preached at every now and again.

All the best

Shute

Ok Guys thanks for all your replys etc,I have an appointment tomorrow with the diabetic nurse,She's going to examine my feet for some reason plus advise me on diet etc.

On the sugar side have bought some Candarel,seems OK if abit frothy :look:

Shaun Not had the pleasure of being a bit loose yet :o

Thanks

Vulture

Metformin can have some initial GI (bowel) side effects but tend to pass, excuse the pun.

There is no reason why anyone with type 2 or even type 1 diabetes can lead a perfectly normal life. Pretty much all of us would benefit from the lifestyle improvements that you may need to make, diet etc.

Re feet. Long term complications of POOR blood sugar control include diabetic neuropathy. This is a type of nerve damage that can mask damage to the extremities eg feet and toes. Never self treat corns etc, a chiropodist will treat safely.

Joe

I'm a type 1 and it is a pain in the ****, however you do and will adapt, I used to take 3 sugars in tea etc now I don't even like it if someone stirs my unsugared tea with a spoon from a sugared tea!

My biggest problem is bread and spuds as the high carbs rocket my blood sugar levels