advice needed on fowliing gun

abrown

hi all had my first trip out after geese in scotland in febuary and am going to start going out a bit more next season, so gona buy me a new semi i currently have a 3,12" a400 but the the gun is far to nice to go crawling round in the marsh so going to part exchange for maybe a composite broning maxus or sx3 has anybody got experince with either of these guns. is there a advantage to a 3 12" chamberd gun to a 3 inch any help greatly appreciated thanks

ant

I use a browning 3.5 inch Browning gold s\a and in combimation with a full choke specialy made for steel BBB pellets that works very well for me. Such big pellets pattern a bit thin in 3 inch loads.

Edited by anser2

Both looks like good guns from what I've heard. I've got a 3 1/2 inch as well (although an o/u), but personally as I rarely use 3 1/2 cartridges as I shoot mainly ducks ( 3' / 36 gr steel is more than adequate in my opinion, even on the foreshore). If your main quarry is geese, the additional flexibility of a 3 1/2 may be useful otherwise you can have a look at alternatives to steel in 3' if you're only going to shoot a couple of pinks per season.

i have an sx3 , i have had it for 2 seasons now. the cammo isn't the best but i have fare hammered it , only once i had a problem , but i was my own fault for not cleaning it for a few outings. clean them regular and they won't let you down

I am thinking of getting an SX3 for fowling next season, interested to hear you have gripes with the camo, what seems to be the problem? I am undecided between a synthetic version and a camo one.

I've had the SX3 for the last 3 seasons. It's had some real hammer in that time and never missed a beat. I tend to only feed it 3" cartridges but it's nice to know it has the bigger chamber should I need it which I do now and then. When I went to buy mine a friend told me he had had problems with the Camo wearing so I went for the composite version and have never regretted doing so. I can't see I'll be changing it any time soon

I think there was a browning Gold 3.5" on here a while back at some silly cheap money.

I have a Maxus black/composite 3.5", works fine for me. It's my do everything but clays (i have an O/U for that) gun including on the Marsh.

So many good guns out there, it's down to you pocket and preference once it's in your shoulder.

if i were you id use the gun you have rather than change it , you have a perfect gun for the shore which can fire any non tox load .

i presume its a wooden model? and this is why you want to change it ?

i also use a wooden beretta on the shore (a 391) and bought it for that purpose and it still looks ok 6 seasons later .

be as carefull as you can with it and give it a proper clean when you get home and it will be fine .

the benefits of the 3.5 inch over the 3 inch chamber depends on what load you want to use . ie if its steel you want to use go up at least a shot size maybe 2 so you get more shot in your pattern using the 3.5 inch load