Modified LED lamping torches.

Dave-G

That's a little disappointing then,

Yes I was hoping to get around 100 yards out of the set up I'm putting together.

I guess I can hold out for more expensive parts but I thought I'd get around 100 metres out of a fairly cheap set up.

I don't have the part number to hand, was it the KRC230 camera that will see out to around 100 metres? Using the ahorton lens with oslon led?

I'd even settle for around 60-70 metres to be honest, just usable rimfire range is what I'm after.

At the moment a photon is well out of budget, even though its great value.

Is it tricky fitting the led to the brass pill? Don't suppose you have a link to any how too vids?

Many thanks!!!

Edited by Muddy Funker

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fitting the led to the brass pill is child's play, but you need the following: Artic Silver or Fujik thermal adhesive. Wire like 28awg or anything capable of handling 1.5 amp (allowing a little for headroom). Soldering iron. You'll also need an insulating washer unless your reflector has been drilled out, so the wires don't make contact with the reflector. Just make sure the star you get is the right size (13mm) as grinding a 20mm star to fit ain't fun.

By the way chaps, to save your eyes, just use the camera on your phone to test whether an IR led is working! My top tip of the day (this also works for tv remotes when your not sure if it's working any longer or the batteries are flat).

That's a little disappointing then,

Yes I was hoping to get around 100 yards out of the set up I'm putting together.

I guess I can hold out for more expensive parts but I thought I'd get around 100 metres out of a fairly cheap set up.

I don't have the part number to hand, was it the KRC230 camera that will see out to around 100 metres? Using the ahorton lens with oslon led?

I'd even settle for around 60-70 metres to be honest, just usable rimfire range is what I'm after.

At the moment a photon is well out of budget, even though its great value.

Is it tricky fitting the led to the brass pill? Don't suppose you have a link to any how too vids?

Many thanks!!!

The Ahorton and Oslon Black will approximately double what you can get with the ebay 1W and DX lens.

I think you probably mean the EJ 230? The Oslon/Ahorton set should do with that for maybe 90~ 100 yards OK if you are only interested in shooting rather than recording it too.

By the time you have bought all the electrical bits from a stockist in singles or pairs to allow for screw-ups + brass pill and had them shipped, then deal with the occasional set back in your learning curve, thermal glue, trial and error learning how to solder the driver etc you would probably find it cheaper to buy one ready fitted to a pill for you. The person who wrote this supplies it ready made for £17. See photo in post no. 543.

Edited by Dave-G

Cheers Mick and Dave,

I knew this would happen lol.

Dave you have pm!!!

It's not the end of the world mate - as per my PM reply to you - but for the benefit of others that might be doing similar projects:

I'd say give it a go with yours first TBH being as you already have it.

I suspect you will find it doesn't punch far enough but, but i've not used that camera/combination and it might just make it - with a later upgrade that can be posted the day after you get to find out if it doesn't.

Edited by Dave-G

I've just had the lens and reflector arrive from DX. The reflector appears to be identical to the one already in the WF-501B I bought from ebay and that was linked in this thread. I'm guessing the springs and adhesive patch are for repairing or modifying a broken lamp. Once I"ve sanded down the lens to fit inside the housing, I take it I just sand and paint the reflector black and use it in place of the shiny one I already have?

This is just using the standard red led the torch came with for my first go at lamping. once I've got round to building a night vision rig, I'll replace it with one of Dave's IR dropins and an ahorton lens.

Thanks.

I've just had the lens and reflector arrive from DX. The reflector appears to be identical to the one already in the WF-501B I bought from ebay and that was linked in this thread. I'm guessing the springs and adhesive patch are for repairing or modifying a broken lamp. Once I"ve sanded down the lens to fit inside the housing, I take it I just sand and paint the reflector black and use it in place of the shiny one I already have?

This is just using the standard red led the torch came with for my first go at lamping. once I've got round to building a night vision rig, I'll replace it with one of Dave's IR dropins and an ahorton lens.

Thanks.

yep - thats right my 'ansome. :yes:

Once you have soldered a driver to an led star through a pill are they secured to the pill in any way?

They are generally soldered to the brass pill - which takes a bit of heating up because it's such a big lump of metal that sucks the heat out ya soldering iron.

Thanks Dave is the led star also soldered to the front of the pill?

Aluminium doesn't solder. (For the benefit of others reading this - if the base comes adrift from the brass pill the LED gets toasted very quickly)

Thermal paste can be used if you are using the base of the standard reflector to keep it pressed against the brass pill to help the cooling path.

The better/closer fitting Ahorton lens and shorter focal length spacer has superior light gathering - and better focusing performance because the adjustment range is increased due to the spacer not having a flat base that effectively acts as a restrictive focus stopper. Thermal adhesive is required for that. I use arctic silver.

Make sure you get the Arctic silver adhesive, which is two part, rather than the thermal grease as the grease doesn't bond. An alternative, which can be bought from dx.com, is Fujik, this has the benefit of letting you dot over the wires above the star to insulate the contacts, and you can add it to the threads of your reflector too.

Fujik will set in an hour but will allow you to separate parts, with some effort, at a later date.

Oh, and you only need a tiny amount underneath the star between the star and the pill, less is definitely more where this is concerned, I've seen some scary home builds with enough adhesive to sink a battleship oozing out the sides!

Edited by mick miller

Make sure you get the Arctic silver adhesive, which is two part, rather than the thermal grease as the grease doesn't bond. An alternative, which can be bought from dx.com, is Fujik, this has the benefit of letting you dot over the wires above the star to insulate the contacts, and you can add it to the threads of your reflector too.

Fujik will set in an hour but will allow you to separate parts, with some effort, at a later date.

Oh, and you only need a tiny amount underneath the star between the star and the pill, less is definitely more where this is concerned, I've seen some scary home builds with enough adhesive to sink a battleship oozing out the sides!

Haha, depends how it's done IMO.

Machining tools can leave a slight high spot in the central are of the front face which can be in direct contact with the LED star.

I'd like to know all air has been evacuated from between the base and the pill - and I'd rather thermal adhesive takes up any gaps around the edges so it's a better thermal path than fresh air.