Modified LED lamping torches.

Dave-G

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks like a rival torch builder has got the hump with me. He bought all my ebay listings then immediately dumped bad feedback without even paying for them. (yep - the brain damaged **** didn't wait a few days to make it appear genuine) His name is shown on ebay sale notification as Steven Smith, and his email addy starts with > blackopstwat@... nuff said there.

Looks like he made a spare ebay i/d just to do some damage because the time he joined is about the time I resumed selling on there.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271320433110

Looks like a rival torch builder has got the hump with me. He bought all my ebay listings then immediately dumped bad feedback without even paying for them. (yep - the brain damaged **** didn't wait a few days to make it appear genuine) His name is shown on ebay sale notification as Steven Smith, and his email addy starts with > blackopstwat@... nuff said there.

Looks like he made a spare ebay i/d just to do some damage because the time he joined is about the time I resumed selling on there.

Don't let him get to you mate, if he's playing such idiocy he won't don't to well anyhow

Karpman

you always get one,,cant see why they do it dave, I was going to put my kits on there but by what you have just said certainly puts me off now,,total *******

atb Evo

ps edit,,,, just read the feedback and its obviouse he aint got a clue, anyone knows they are ally, get in touch with ebay and explain what has happened they should be able to remove it dave

cheers Evo

Edited by evo

Dave, you shouldn't be getting a raised centre on machining the face of the pill. try dot drilling to the correct depth first and then cut from outer edge to centre. make sure the tip of the cutter is bang on centre, a little high and it will push the cutter back off the work piece. i know my smaller watchmakers lathes use to do this if i didn't keep a sharp cutter and shim to the right height. i like to use HSS or cobalt cutters on brass and aluminium for the home machine shop on a budget they seam to fit in well but have to shim every time on the smaller lathes. the boxford is easy as it has a 3 way denford tool post with all the cutters set ready to go.

all best

Phil.

cheers all.

Phil, Cheers, some of the brass P60 pills have a slight dome on the LED board side. It's easy enough to get the metal to metal under the LED thermal pad - and allow a little to ooze from around the perimeter to fill air gaps and transfer heat to the sides of the pill too.

I don't have that with the modules I made.

Looks like I was totally right about this bloke, i found this message from him in my ebay messages folder today:

Dear 501b,

Nice thread on pw mate

Atb

- gwhite2014
Reply in your email program or through My Messages s.gif
271313335967.jpg 501b custom converted Red lamping torch Item Id: 271313335967 Order Id: 271313335967-1204380708017 End time: 15-Nov-13 21:42:59 GMT Buyer: gwhite2014 (0) 0.0% Positive Feedback Member since 09-Sep-13 in United Kingdom Location: West Yorkshire, United Kingdom Listing Status: This message was sent while the listing was closed.
I edited out the 'respond now' button that anyone here could click on, I hadn't anticipated it would be active.
Edited by Dave-G

i take it he had a 501b for sale or dos he build them by any chance, and a yorkshireman

its obvious he feels there is a better competitor out there dave,,

well thats tough on his behalf

atb Evo

Edited by evo

i take it he had a 501b for sale or dos he build them by any chance, and a yorkshireman

its obvious he feels there is a better competitor out there dave,,

well thats tough on his behalf

atb Evo

I rather think he sees either 501b specific, or cottage industry upgrades in general, as a conflict of interest.

He originally seemingly wanted to buy a 501b IR module, but experience has taught me that some IR's are too much for some rigs - and not quite enough for some others. I personally won't use zoom IR's for fixed mag dedicated rifle rigs like the Photon because we can't see what is happening outside the fixed mag scope field of view - unlike add-ons where the scope can be zoomed or lamping where we can see it with our eyes.

So I asked him if he was a shooting forum member where we could communicate easier than single page ebay messages. I got no response on that issue so asked him to use a regular email client so the convo would all be on one page that we can both view previous comments on. He persistently ignored that request too.

It eventually transpired through several single page ebay messages that were hard to keep track of that he had an EJ230 camera and already has an Ahorton lens. Well unfortunately I have had several people say they have an Ahorton lens that later turned out to be a Dx or Ant supplies one which of course has a different back focal length to the LED. It was all getting too much faffing about, and I didn't want the bloke to end up with the wrong spacer length which would not work for him - and possibly generate poor feedback too.

I told him I would not do any more ebay messaging and to use his email client or I would ignore him. That infuriated him so much he gobbed off about me and that I must jerk off over my torches in my shed. :no:

The rest is what has been seen.

That he was most likely a shooting forum member has now been proved - so he could have PM'd me on here instead of all that rigmarole that would have cost more because of ebay charges.

Edited by Dave-G

Hi mate just thought I'd post a quick thanks to you for the thread and another forum member who helped me out.

I got meself an Ultrafire 501B red and the other gubbins off the DX website to try it for my rimmie.

The beam in the house started like this out of the packet with a lot of spill

104_zpsaa882d42.jpg

Swapped the lens, blacked out the reflector and trimmed it down to fit nicely and tightened the beam up nicely

106_zpsb214ce8b.jpg

Sits on top of the WMR a treat and is so light you don't know it's there. I tested it through the scope and it lit up a tree 100yds away no bother so will see how it goes on the bunnies tmoro night

108_zps64add48f.jpg

I've ordered a 850NM IR drop in off the bay just to see what it's like with my Gen3 spotter and the NVRS NV scope so will update when that arrives from China,

Cheers again,

Stratts

Hmm, the IR drop ins off the bay are a bit weak, you'd be better off with one of Dave's. I begged him for just a star to make my own up and they're bob on, if you're not sure on drivers etc. just leave it to Dave, he'll get you sorted.

What thee needs now is a pressure switch, and better if you customise it to be an on/off clicky rather than a flat pressure switch, much easier to velcro this near the trigger and just click on and off.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using a 501B with a DX aspherical lens for a while with my FAC air rifle, Decide to try out the Ahortin lens and spacer kit so I could use it with my hmr. Here's the results.............

DSCN1044_zpsec2966bb.jpg

This is the beam shining against the end of a shed at 40 yards. It's giving a nice tight beam of about 10' square at that range. 100 yard shots are no problem with it.

Sorry guys, I'm about to head out to work so I've not read much of this thread but I'm just embarking on this little crusade so thought I'd ask a couple of questions;

The story so far is that I've been using a deben tracer (mini) for years and never really got on all that well with it. I went out last night for a quick look for a fox and took my led lenser torch with me for spotting with - it put the deben to shame, badly.

So, I've bought myself an ultrafire e17, some batteries, a charger and a "universal" mount (which is likely to get replaced asap). I know a little about electronics and my dad's an electronics engineer / teacher (semi retired) so I'm fine with pottering about. Anyone know if a pressure switch is available for this torch? or am I going to have to diy it?

Can I get a red replacement for its led (I know you can for some, but don't know how universal they are)?

After stumbling on this thread and reading (nearly) all the posts I bought one of Dave-G's torches off ebay on Wednesday night to mount to my HW97k.

(I thought it was a very fair price and considering all the work you've obviously put in to this and other threads I am more than happy to see at least something going back into your pocket)

I have been trying to find exactly this sort of information regarding mounting a torch to my air rifle and have been afraid to take the plunge for fear of wasting my hard earned. However I am looking forward to using this torch now and hopefully Rodger wont know what hit him :ninja:

I have since ordered all the equipment I think I'll need to use with it; mount, 3100mAh batteries and a VP1 charger. All I need to order now is the tail switch and this is where I'm still a little confused.

I really like the sound of Mick Millers modified one so I can flick it on and leave it on easily - but is it possible to order these up ready made? Or do most folk just use the pressure switches unmodified? If so do you ever get the modes changing on the torch by accident?

Thanks in advance.

I'm getting some 'Bi' pressure switches in, and one of the better aspects of a single mode torch is that it has less change of making a user mistake or faffing about in general.

That is why I make one specifically for subsonic ranges.

My previously mentioned ebay stalker who is a member on here with not enough about him to come out in the open and still keeps ebay messaging me, feels I am ripping people off with my pricing.

cheers

I'm getting some 'Bi' pressure switches in, and one of the better aspects of a single mode torch is that it has less change of making a user mistake or faffing about in general.

That is why I make one specifically for subsonic ranges.

My previously mentioned ebay stalker who is a member on here with not enough about him to come out in the open and still keeps ebay messaging me, feels I am ripping people off with my pricing.

cheers

Dave I have seen your stuff on eBay and I think they are a good price well worth the money and thanks for all your help with my build

You need to tell us is name on eBay so we all can bombard him with messages lol then he can see what it's like

HAHA, well he's reading all my posts on here so if he contacts me again I will PM his ebay I/D to any member who asks for it by PM. The ball is in his court then because he will have had a warning.

I've stopped selling spares on there because of him. It generates too many messages that have to be opened again every time someone sends a fresh one to recall what was previously said. I'd asked him to use an email client so everything was kept to one page but he didn't seem able to do that.

Edited by Dave-G