VERMIN SHOOT

NIGHT SEARCHER

Talk about shooting your self in the foot. :huh:

I have had a cracking Rat shoot in Glossop for the last two years on a pig farm. :good:

It was that good i kitted myself out with night vision PCP Rifles and gun lamps. :good:

I used to go two nights a week and shoot 50 to 60 Rats a night. :yahoo:

It seemed it would never end the way they were breeding but all good things come to a end. :sad1:

The numbers started dropping but i was asked to keep going by the Farmer :big_boss: . :hmm:

The numbers dropped to single figures and the Farmer :big_boss: was very pleased and asked me what he could do to get rid of the Rats now there is only a few. :hmm:

I told him to power wash the pig sheds and wash all the cob webs away and blow away all the years of ****. :yes:

And to cement all the Rat holes up he only did it all I was gobb smacked. :crazy:

I was up there for four hours last week with infrared night vision looking all around the place and not one Rat to be seen. :sick:

So i still have permission on a pig farm to shoot with now`t to shoot. :sick:

The moral is don`t shoot all the vermin on a shoot leave a few to keep the shoot going. :good:

Good work on getting rid of all the rats mate.

But sorry that you now don't have anything to shoot :no:

Are there any rabbits or Pigeons on the farm too shoot ?

Or could you ask the farmer to ask around his friends to see if they need any help ?

Talk about shooting your self in the foot. :huh:

I have had a cracking Rat shoot in Glossop for the last two years on a pig farm. :good:

It was that good i kitted myself out with night vision PCP Rifles and gun lamps. :good:

I used to go two nights a week and shoot 50 to 60 Rats a night. :yahoo:

It seemed it would never end the way they were breeding but all good things come to a end. :sad1:

The numbers started dropping but i was asked to keep going by the Farmer :big_boss: . :hmm:

The numbers dropped to single figures and the Farmer :big_boss: was very pleased and asked me what he could do to get rid of the Rats now there is only a few. :hmm:

I told him to power wash the pig sheds and wash all the cob webs away and blow away all the years of ****. :yes:

And to cement all the Rat holes up he only did it all I was gobb smacked. :crazy:

I was up there for four hours last week with infrared night vision looking all around the place and not one Rat to be seen. :sick:

So i still have permission on a pig farm to shoot with now`t to shoot. :sick:

The moral is don`t shoot all the vermin on a shoot leave a few to keep the shoot going. :good:

Nope, you did right now get some recomendations for more shooting off him and believe me they will be back :yes:

hi mate we had a farm with the same problem been going there for around ten year but now if we see 2-3 rats we are lucky this place was originally crawling and we used to get 60-80 each trip.best shooting we had but the farmer clued up and took our advice and removed the food source and the rats that were left seemed to move on.gutted in a way used to look forward to going there but now its just the rabbit we go for.

Got any good tips on rat shooting? Currently finding it hard to get them out to food we set and the ones we do shoot dont always die instantly they just fall over then get up and run off back down theyre hole... Also any baiting ideas are greatly appreciated we are just using peanut butter and bread at the minute seems to work okay but we only see the odd ones now. Many thanks.

Got any good tips on rat shooting? Currently finding it hard to get them out to food we set and the ones we do shoot dont always die instantly they just fall over then get up and run off back down theyre hole... Also any baiting ideas are greatly appreciated we are just using peanut butter and bread at the minute seems to work okay but we only see the odd ones now. Many thanks.

Chocolate works well smashed up dark chocolate digestives or put through a liquidizer to crumbs. :good:

What used to bring them out of there holes was a Cornish pasty done in the micro wave for 4 mins so it was still hot when i got to my shoot. :good:

The smell would bring them out for fun and it was to big for them to drag off so i would shoot them has they would try and drag it. :good:

I did find that the Rats came out more on very dark nights if it was a full moon you wouldn`t see many at all so i used to look at the moon cycles on the web and go shooting on the very dark nights big improvement. :good:

Are you lamping or using night vision i found the Rats soon got lamp shy and did one. :sad1:

So i got infrared night vision and shot 3 or 4 times has many Rats. :yahoo:

What gun are you using and what cal .177 or .22. ???

And what power is your gun doing. ???

Are you going for head shots or heart and lung shots. ???

And what pellets are you using. ???

My main Ratting gun is doing 11.8 ftlb and .22 cal fitted with infrared night vision. :good:

I have tried lots of pellets pointed tend to pass straight thorough on head shots (ie) no shock wave no pellet spread on impact there still dead they just don`t know it. :lol:

I have tried hollow points they dump there kinetic energy on impact and work well at close range but not very accurate at mid to long range. :w00t:

What i like are RWS superdomes or RWS superfield they are very very accurate and are made from a softish lead so they spread on impact dumping there energy into the target so you get a small entry hole and a bigger exit hole and give you instant kills. :good:

You need to be placing your shots on Rats between the eye and the ear but level with the eye mashing the brain as the pellet passes through the head. :good:

HAPPY :shoot::shoot::shoot:

Edited by NIGHT SEARCHER

Thanks for your advice and for the quick reply too.

We are using an RWS excalibre and a weirauch HW100 with nightvision and the guns are around 11.8 ftlb I believe.

The pellets we have tried out are domed, pointed and hollow point. The pointed seem to go straight through them, the domes or hollow seem to work best and are more accurate.

The rats seem to take a hit, roll over then scurry away, sometimes even jumping 2 foot in the air. The bigger ones seem to die alot quicker for some reason.

Ill test that theory of the moonlight and see if it has any effect on them, most of our shooting is done indoors anyways so not sure if that will make much difference.

Also would you sit and wait at theyre holes or just walk around looking for them?

Thanks again :good:

Thanks for your advice and for the quick reply too.

We are using an RWS excalibre and a weirauch HW100 with nightvision and the guns are around 11.8 ftlb I believe.

The pellets we have tried out are domed, pointed and hollow point. The pointed seem to go straight through them, the domes or hollow seem to work best and are more accurate.

The rats seem to take a hit, roll over then scurry away, sometimes even jumping 2 foot in the air. The bigger ones seem to die alot quicker for some reason.

Ill test that theory of the moonlight and see if it has any effect on them, most of our shooting is done indoors anyways so not sure if that will make much difference.

Also would you sit and wait at theyre holes or just walk around looking for them?

Now`t wrong with the tackle nice guns. :good:

Try the pasty near there holes and sit and wait. :good:

No smoking talking or movement now you have shot a good number the Rats get very nervous any movement or noise they will stay down there holes they are crafty little ********. :angry:

The jumping 2 foot in the air is the shock wave going through the rats but they shouldn`t be running off try aiming a bit higher on head shots. :good:

I had one that moved just has i fired the pellet hit it in one eye pasted through the head and took its other eye out it ran around for over 1/2 an hour squealing and jumping in the air it wouldn`t keep still to get a second shot finely it stopped for a few seconds so i could put it out of its misery. :sad1:

Edited by NIGHT SEARCHER

Ill try shooting a little higher next time then, and your pasty trick! Hopefully get up there at the weekend :D

Ive found when shooting them head on (as theyre looking right at you) seems to work better too, not sure if it goes into their spine a little more im not sure.