Query: Shooting on common land?

I thought that common land was owned by the crown :hmm:

No, common land is owned by all sorts of people, but "commoners" can exercise certain rights - usually grazing animals etc. The definition of commoners varies too - it doesn't just mean anyone :no: Our local common is owned by the National Trust, and a handful of local farmers have hereditary commoners rights. The Trust allow access to everyone else, but that is by agreement not "right". Unless they have specific permission from the land owner, your mates are probably committing armed trespass, which unlike normal trespass, is a criminal offence.

Hi Chester.

On the common land which is mountain top by me , the Police are offten booking bikers for riding on it, so shooting on it might be a bit risky me thinks mate.Also as its all open to to Joe public to walk and ramble on i think plod would take a dim veiw of any clay shooting.

Just my thoughts on it mate.

Chubbs.

No, common land is owned by all sorts of people, but "commoners" can exercise certain rights - usually grazing animals etc. The definition of commoners varies too - it doesn't just mean anyone :no: Our local common is owned by the National Trust, and a handful of local farmers have hereditary commoners rights. The Trust allow access to everyone else, but that is by agreement not "right". Unless they have specific permission from the land owner, your mates are probably committing armed trespass, which unlike normal trespass, is a criminal offence.

:good: is correct, you must have commoners rights over the land (normally tied in the deeds of a dwelling or other land), and is usually for .... fire wood / grazing / stone for building repairs / water ..... type of thing :yes:

Just a little side issue as you mentioned firewood. The local council where my mother in law lives issued a warning to people cutting up trees that had fallen on the common during those high winds a couple of weeks back. They said it was theft and car numbers were being taken and reported to the police. I read it in the local paper while we were there.

Edited by Vince Green

There are people who shoot clays on the mountain near me (common land) and altho ive never seen or heard them, I have seen the mess they leave behind with their rubbish and used cartridges.

Another thing, the cops could even have them for taking their vehicles onto the common land if they caught them and really wanted to build a charge sheet.

Guess you could class it as armed trespass, just hope they dont get a visit from a AR team :blush:

• 5 years later...

As a commoner myself I can confirm the rights are attached to your property and you must register yourself as th new owner and pay £60 to update the common land register. It is important to note currently there is no link between the land registry you register your house ownership with and the common land registry which last censused the population in 1965 (approx). It was only a letter 2weeks ago that confirmed all this. I knew I had some entitlements due to my house but had never been able to bottom it. Suffice to say the Common Land Registry as dormant for about 30 years but they are now updating their records and enforcing 'rights'

I know of a few pieces of 'common' ground where the locals from the local village would have a rough shoot on it, the villages in that area also have free fishing rights too.

All granted way back in the 1300's.

Like others have said probably no 2 common grounds have the exact same conditions/rights so will depend entirely on the specifics for that site.