"Open ticket"

stan68

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Frenchie it appears you WMR is not conditioned for fox like you told us all. Your .22rf being further conditioned for humane dispatch of fox should even discredit any counter claim that foxes are vermin. So apparently there are still no shooters in Lancs conditioned for fox control with a rimfire unless someone can show differently

appologies, you remain the only one i know of my FEO was stunned and new of nobody with fox on any rimfire in thier area

Chaps,

This difference is a major cause for a concern - so much variation and difference between forces on calibres. I have posted about Cheshire not allowing a .243 solely for fox. Having spoken to a few the largest calibre which is allowed for deer and fox is a .308 in North Wales next door ! Equally others on here have fox as part of their conditions on .44 underlevers.

I for one would appreciate BASC doing a survey and exposing the worst and most obvious differences like rimfires for fox, mentoring conditions as pre cursors, DSC1's etc.

I would very happily give two days a week to collate this information and help produce a UK report of firearms licensing 'from a customer perspective'.

At the moment this looks set to continue but if such an authoritative report were submitted to ACPO licensing Committee, having first accepted any advice from them, then, I believe it would change some Chief Cons (and their staffs) approach to who gets what, where.

Please note Davidbasc - no cost apart from postages and member survey - massive member's benefit I would suggest. Or has this been done already !

Edited by Kes

My wording is slightly different on my 'open' cert. It says.

The firearms and ammunition shall be used for shooting vermin and ground game/fox/deer and for zeroing on ranges, or land and over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot.

Ive just fired off an e mail to D&C Police to clarify. It took blooming ages to get it opened in the first place. Lets hope there hasnt been a clerical error and i have to go through the whole process again !

Be thankful that, like me, you live in God's Country where a sensible and pragmatic approach is taken with firearms licensing.

Not for us the micromanagement of FAC conditions such as frenchies example but a simple easy to understand one line all encompassing condition that basically says you may go forth and shoot anything with any of your rifles as long as it's legal.

Always tickles me this, I got a .270 on an open certificate at 18. Seems like some of you have pretty rubbish firearms departments! :lol:

times unfortunatly have been changing. Perhaps as less people understand or have a rudementry working knoledge the rules get dafter

Be thankful that, like me, you live in God's Country where a sensible and pragmatic approach is taken with firearms licensing.

Not for us the micromanagement of FAC conditions such as frenchies example but a simple easy to understand one line all encompassing condition that basically says you may go forth and shoot anything with any of your rifles as long as it's legal.

Snap except mine is pests and deer. Fundamentally the onus is on us anyway not to cause unnecessary suffering. It never makes sense to shoot what you like with shotguns then forces get precious with rifles.

Frenchie it appears you WMR is not conditioned for fox like you told us all. Your .22rf being further conditioned for humane dispatch of fox should even discredit any counter claim that foxes are vermin. So apparently there are still no shooters in Lancs conditioned for fox control with a rimfire unless someone can show differently

I have edited this post because was not too polite but I have since seen the post put up by Kent at 08:27AM today where he acknowledges that I am in fact conditioned for shooting fox with my .22WMR!

I jumped the gun and I openly applogise for that!

Edited by Frenchieboy

Im in lancs I have 17hmr and its got fox in the condituons

You know i dont actually want a rimfire listed for fox, its just that i have been told by two FEO's and the last head of department that lancs wont do it. Actually i agree with them besides any other matter it stops them saying no you cant have a c/fire the rimfire will do for foxes also.

my conversations with the FEO were mearly pointing out the madness that goes on at public expense in thier department and my joy that Phil had lost the job of head of dept. I am not so stupid to name names of those who have strange conditions that might even be error. Don't think they make errors? well i have seen a .22 hornet conditioned for deer, even though it would be illegal :rolleyes:

The fact remains that most RFD's etc in Lancs will still tell you not to ask for fox on rimfire as it will be refused

I have edited this post because was not too polite but I have since seen the post put up by Kent at 08:27AM today where he acknowledges that I am in fact conditioned for shooting fox with my .22WMR!

I jumped the gun and I openly applogise for that!

Stupid mistake made by reading 5 & 7 and jumping to conclusions. I know they do some contradicory stuff at times and know a respected local keeper who was told no to vermin using his centrefire, yet i live very close to him and have it. Can i also say that P.K said only a year ago when he was still in post (nobody in lancs gets rimfire granted for fox) Was your request after his departure? i know Sykes whouldn't go for it

You know i dont actually want a rimfire listed for fox, its just that i have been told by two FEO's and the last head of department that lancs wont do it. Actually i agree with them besides any other matter it stops them saying no you cant have a c/fire the rimfire will do for foxes also.

my conversations with the FEO were mearly pointing out the madness that goes on at public expense in thier department and my joy that Phil had lost the job of head of dept. I am not so stupid to name names of those who have strange conditions that might even be error. Don't think they make errors? well i have seen a .22 hornet conditioned for deer, even though it would be illegal :rolleyes:

The fact remains that most RFD's etc in Lancs will still tell you not to ask for fox on rimfire as it will be refused

That sounds very bitter at your lack of getting the condition. The word fox on a rimfire is pretty vague when you think about it. Covers large dog foxes to Cubs not much bigger than your hand. Cubs a rimfire is perfect for and fortunately my force see it that way. The argument will go round and round the bitter ones jealous about others conditions will just try and sound morrally right when they know they are talking bull as in certain conditions rimfires are the tool for the job

Just looking through my conditions out of interest. Says at the bottom

"The certificate holder may possess, purchase or aquire expanding ammunition, or the missiles of such ammunition, in calibers authorised by this certificate and use only in connection with the shooting of vermin or, IN CONECTION WITH THE MANAGEMENT ON ANY ESTATE, OTHER WILDLIFE."

Anyone know what that's supposed to mean?

times unfortunatly have been changing. Perhaps as less people understand or have a rudementry working knoledge the rules get dafter

Sorry kent, this was only 4 years ago. Just lucky to have local police that shoot I guess.

To the original poster: why not give it 6 months and use up a lot of ammo at targets? Good practise and it looks like you are using the gun lots and safely. Then just fire a letter into your local department :good:

At the end of the day all calibres will kill depending on shot placement range ect by saying I had 17 on my ticket I was just pointing out the vague and oddity's of some of the restrictions I think the only reason I have this condition in lancs is that I move from another authority who allowed them. Personally I only use my 22:250 on fox but could see a reason for something smaller and less noisey ie in town gardens as in london who are now inundated with urban foxes

"The certificate holder may possess, purchase or aquire expanding ammunition, or the missiles of such ammunition, in calibers authorised by this certificate and use only in connection with the shooting of vermin or, IN CONECTION WITH THE MANAGEMENT ON ANY ESTATE, OTHER WILDLIFE."

It is the standard all encompassing expanding ammo condition that we all have.

This condition states what expanding ammo MAY be used for IF your rifle conditions authorise you to do so.

It is the standard all encompassing expanding ammo condition that we all have.

This condition states what expanding ammo MAY be used for IF your rifle conditions authorise you to do so.

Just wondered what's ment by "other wildlife" and why it says "any estate"?

Just wondered what's ment by "other wildlife" and why it says "any estate"?

The condition when drafted was a bit of a rush job. It tried to cover any and every eventuality where someone would need authority to use expanding ammo for any reason on any species of wildlife on any land (estate).

This could be anything from safari park employees and farmed buffalo units through to DEFRA badger culls.

The condition when drafted was a bit of a rush job. It tried to cover any and every eventuality where someone would need authority to use expanding ammo for any reason on any species of wildlife on any land (estate).

This could be anything from safari park employees and farmed buffalo units through to DEFRA badger culls.

Cheers! Always wondered.

After double checking with D&C Police my cert is open, they gave me the following information to clarify the wording of it being open.

I can confirm you do hold an ‘open’ certificate allowing you to shoot on land over which you have lawful authority to shoot. e.g. where you have been given permission.

The ‘closed’ condition states “land deemed suitable by the chief officer of police.......”

Hope this helps.

BB

"The certificate holder may possess, purchase or aquire expanding ammunition, or the missiles of such ammunition, in calibers authorised by this certificate and use only in connection with the shooting of vermin or, IN CONNECTION WITH THE MANAGEMENT ON ANY ESTATE, OTHER WILDLIFE."

Reading this thread with interest! My FAC is closed and has the standard wording above as well.

No-where does it mention foxes. I have always assumed that the .17HMR would be ok for fox (given the wording, the fact the FAC doesn't exclude fox and that they are defined as vermin).

I realise there are divided opinions about use of .17HMR on fox and don't want to start that debate here but am wondering what the FACs say where members are NOT authorised to shoot fox with rim fire? Are they specifically worded to prohibit use on foxes?

Reading this thread with interest! My FAC is closed and has the standard wording above as well.

No-where does it mention foxes. I have always assumed that the .17HMR would be ok for fox (given the wording, the fact the FAC doesn't exclude fox and that they are defined as vermin).

I realise there are divided opinions about use of .17HMR on fox and don't want to start that debate here but am wondering what the FACs say where members are NOT authorised to shoot fox with rim fire? Are they specifically worded to prohibit use on foxes?

In my county my fac for rimfire will probably say the same as yours as I cannot shoot fox with lr hmr. If I could it would have fox listed aswell as vermin. :good: