What chokes are in my gun?

Gizza22196

I take it all back, and in an attempt to retrieve PhilR's good name, will humiliate myself by posting his PM response:

"Pay attention when I talk to you, and don't drag me into your half cock comments

On guns with metric measurements each barrel tube is stamped with the internal diameter in mm 18.3, 18.4 etc in the case of overbored / backbored barrels it'll be something like 18.7 or 18.8. Older guns with imperial measurements will have the internal diameter in thousandth of an inch and approx .728 /.729 is the usual for a 12 bore.

Italian gunmakers, the two I know of Perazzi and Beretta, stamp the barrel weights on them and it'll be something like 1.530kg (my Perazzi) or 1.550kg (my Beretta). My Miroku doesn't have the weight stamped on. The weight markings have nothing to do with the proof house markings.

Nigel Teague's website has some data that is worth looking at.

http://www.teaguepre...ence_chart.html

The bloke has choke 17.5 and 18 stamped on each barrel.

If you divide each metric measurement above by 25.4 to convert to imperial they are .688thou and .708thou respectively. So if the original bore size was .728 deduct each figure and you have .40thou and .20thou so full and half choke. However, that was at the time of manufacture. To determine what the choking is today the internal bore of each barrel would need to be measured with a special guage with either a dial or digital scale and the internal micrometer probes pulled back up to the choke area and the difference in diameter will give the current nominal choke.

I hope that helps and you can retrieve my good name"

I take it all back, and in an attempt to retrieve PhilR's good name, will humiliate myself by posting his PM response:

"Pay attention when I talk to you, and don't drag me into your half cock comments

On guns with metric measurements each barrel tube is stamped with the internal diameter in mm 18.3, 18.4 etc in the case of overbored / backbored barrels it'll be something like 18.7 or 18.8. Older guns with imperial measurements will have the internal diameter in thousandth of an inch and approx .728 /.729 is the usual for a 12 bore.

Italian gunmakers, the two I know of Perazzi and Beretta, stamp the barrel weights on them and it'll be something like 1.530kg (my Perazzi) or 1.550kg (my Beretta). My Miroku doesn't have the weight stamped on. The weight markings have nothing to do with the proof house markings.

If you divide each metric measurement above by 25.4 to convert to imperial they are .688thou and .708thou respectively. So if the original bore size was .728 deduct each figure and you have .40thou and .20thou so full and half choke. However, that was at the time of manufacture. To determine what the choking is today the internal bore of each barrel would need to be measured with a special guage with either a dial or digital scale and the internal micrometer probes pulled back up to the choke area and the difference in diameter will give the current nominal choke.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Like I already said Full (40thou constriction) and Half (20thou constriction) :rolleyes: