Binos

Maidment78

Steiners

:good: +1

£400 for 8X42 Rangers. Excellent for the money. They do 50mm Rangers (might be 56mm, I forget) which are £500. Had a try on someone elses and light gathering on these is awesome at that price, up there with much dearer glass. The price you pay is the bulk, which might not suit you. 8X42 Rangers are as compact as any in that class. Otherwise a second hand pair of Swaro compacts?

You'll get loads of differing opinions as always so here's mine...

I have a pair of Opticron Verano HD 8x42 and very nice they are too. They also do an Imagic 8.5x50 if you need a bit more light gathering, both under the £400 mark.

After reading all the similar bino threads over about a year I bought a brand new pair of Zeiss 10X50 RF binos direct from Zeiss.

Excellent quality, brilliant range finding, decent warranty and support.

They are heavy when you are lugging them around all day.

The 8x42 would have been just as good.

Save yourself a fortune, buy the Steiner, nothing wrong with them and they will do more than you will ever need.

Try www.kayoptical.co.uk

I`ve used them and know of three other customers of theirs. All happy.

Not connected with them,just thought it was worth posting as they seem an honest outfit

to deal with as far as descriptions etc.

As usual lots of opinion and the OP probably no further forward. Going slightly off-topic but still relevent, the game fair season is upon us and should be a good opportunity to try out lots of different glass, so will optics stallholders if they're reading this please do us all a favour and keep their stalls open at dusk so we can see for ourselves just how good the light gathering is on the bins they're trying to sell us.

I nearly bought a pair of Opticrons last year at the Midland. All new glass looks fantastic in bright sparkly sunlight, so I came back after sunset. There were plenty of stalls still open but not one of them optics. :hmm:

Just thought I'd mention it.