pigeon magnets

lee-jon

I read somewhere (I'm making my own currently) that 34rpm is the ideal, no idea how they worked that out - mine has two speeds pre-wired in the wiper motor, one of which is about 38rpm so hopefully that'll do.

38 rpm is ideal fella :good:

Thanks. im making my own as well. lightweight carbon/ali. mind u its the battery thats always the heavyist thing

I've done my best to keep mine light but I was also trying to do it all for free so it's ended up fairly heavy and I grudgingly had to buy a couple of bits which made the total cost nearly £8!!! Plus welding wire, gas and electric. Gutted, probably came to more than a tenner >:(

Still a bit of tinkering to do, involving two dead pigeons and my parent's greenhouse windows no doubt and some paint and it's all done, I should go on "scrap heap challenge"!

I've done my best to keep mine light but I was also trying to do it all for free so it's ended up fairly heavy and I grudgingly had to buy a couple of bits which made the total cost nearly £8!!! Plus welding wire, gas and electric. Gutted, probably came to more than a tenner >:(

Still a bit of tinkering to do, involving two dead pigeons and my parent's greenhouse windows no doubt and some paint and it's all done, I should go on "scrap heap challenge"!

Just a quicky . how many rpm is yours rotating at? 2/3/4/ rpm???

I have an engineering taco and my 2 home made rotary’s turn around 42/47 rpm

With out load…

The faster the better, if you have a slow running motor and as the battery drops off I have found the pigeons do not like slow spinning decoys.

If you watch pigeons they are always in a hurry, the only time they seem to fly slow is when the cock bird is dipping and gliding....

TEH

Just got in from counting sheep, 73 in field.lol. nah just drawing up plans to make lightweight rotary but wanted to get speed right.

good answer i was only messing nice to see some 1 take it well and not kick off all time get sum picks up when finished i might evan buy 1 off you if there cheapish

swiss

No point getting wound up. laugh. and the world always seems a better place....

just got in from shooting in the rain! Note to self , get better waterproofs. and put hole in middle of seat so water drains out and not soaks your bum .

I have an engineering taco and my 2 home made rotary’s turn around 42/47 rpm

With out load…

The faster the better, if you have a slow running motor and as the battery drops off I have found the pigeons do not like slow spinning decoys.

If you watch pigeons they are always in a hurry, the only time they seem to fly slow is when the cock bird is dipping and gliding....

TEH

Thanks for the info,this is what forums are all about.

dont forget its not just rpm that affects the "speed" of the bird the length of the arm plays a big part longer arms (if the motors up to it) means the bird will be traveling faster.

KW

dont forget its not just rpm that affects the "speed" of the bird the length of the arm plays a big part longer arms (if the motors up to it) means the bird will be traveling faster.

KW

I also tip both birds on their sides to a 45 degree angle once they are mounted on the rotary so that incoming pigeons see more of the white wing bars.

KW

Not trying to argue but why does longer arms mean they are traveling faster? Surely a motor doing 38rpm with short arms is travelling the same speed as motor doing 38rpm with longer arms :hmm:

Not trying to argue but why does longer arms mean they are traveling faster? Surely a motor doing 38rpm with short arms is travelling the same speed as motor doing 38rpm with longer arms

The further away from the center, the greater the speed. The end of the longer arms have to cover a greater distance per rotation, while keeping the same amount of rotations per minute.

Edited by ffeighty