HeaviShot.

ayano3

I went on the marsh today to do a bit of dog training with the young lad I mentor on Sheps (actually I went to train him rather than his dog) and he mentioned about getting some HeaviShot cartridges for the forthcoming season. I have not used it myself but have heard good reports about it. I rang the local cartridge dealer and for the 36g version in 4's they cost £24 for 10 and £18 for 32g version. Obviously thats £2.40 a pop.

The question I ask is is this particular load the best on the market for the geese.

This is what Express have to say:

WHY IS HEVISHOT™ THE MOST POWERFUL SHOT EVER DEVELOPED ?

HEVISHOT™ IS 10% MORE DENSE THAN LEAD AND 11/2 TIMES MORE DENSE THAN STEEL.

FOR EXAMPLE: IF ENGLISH SHOT SIZE 4 PELLETS ARE LAUNCHED AT APPROX 1350 fps, HEVISHOT™ WILL HIT WITH THE SAME ENERGY AT 60 YARDS AS STEEL AT 27 YARDS AND LEAD AT 52 YARDS.

WHAT IS HEVISHOT™ ?

HEVISHOT™ IS A REVOLUTIONARY, NON-TOXIC SHOTGUN SHELL WITH SUPERIOR LETHALITY. HEVISHOT™ IS REVOLUTIONARY BECAUSE IT HAS A DENSITY THAT IS ACTUALLY HIGHER THAN THAT OF LEAD. NO OTHER SHOT PRODUCT HAS EVER ACHIEVED THIS KIND OF DENSITY, AND NO OTHER PRODUCT HAS THE BALLISTIC ADVANTAGES WE ACHIEVE FROM THIS DENSITY ADVANTAGE.

SMALLER PELLET SIZE MEANS YOU WILL SHOOT MORE PELLETS PER ROUND, WITH FAR HIGHER KNOCKDOWN POWER. STATISTICALLY, THIS SUBSTANTIALLY BOOSTS YOUR PROBABILITY OF A CLEAN KILL, AND YOU CAN MAKE LONGER SHOTS WITH GREATER CERTAINTY OF A KILL. BECAUSE HEVISHOT™ IS HEAVIER THAN LEAD, YOU WILL BE ABLE TO USE A SMALLER PELLET SIZE / MORE PELLETS WITH SUPERIOR LETHALITY.

HOW DOES THIS HELP ME ?

SIMPLY SPEAKING, USING HEVISHOT™ WILL GIVE YOU A BETTER HUNTING EXPERIENCE.

HOW CAN IT GIVE ME A BETTER HUNTING EXPERIENCE ?

HIGHER PROBABILITY OF A CLEAN KILL MEANS YOU CAN BE A MORE ETHICAL HUNTER

its mis shapen like slag, heavy and hard and way too expensive. steel BB will stike through 12mm ply at 50yds and certainly kill geese. can someone explain why i need to spend 2 1/2 times as much? 50 yds is in itself further than you can shoot at them without being brought before the comitee on many a saltmash anyway

a few seasons ago i was beside my RFD and noticed hevi-shot 32gr no4s at £9 for 10 (which seemed cheap for hevishot) so i tried them and i got on great with them through the pump i had at the time which was true cylinder. i ended up buying what he had left. i also tried a box of the winchester xtended range hi-density stuff, i think it was 1 3/8 oz no2, i got on good with these too, but at £3 a pop it was too painful to pull the trigger. i think it was the pretty, shiny, embossed box i was drawn to :lol:. both the hevi-shot and the xtended range shells seemed to kill really well at good range, unlike the first steel i tried :oops:.

a few seasons ago i was beside my RFD and noticed hevi-shot 32gr no4s at £9 for 10 (which seemed cheap for hevishot) so i tried them and i got on great with them through the pump i had at the time which was true cylinder. i ended up buying what he had left. i also tried a box of the winchester xtended range hi-density stuff, i think it was 1 3/8 oz no2, i got on good with these too, but at £3 a pop it was too painful to pull the trigger. i think it was the pretty, shiny, embossed box i was drawn to :lol:. both the hevi-shot and the xtended range shells seemed to kill really well at good range, unlike the first steel i tried :oops:.

There are some big differences in Steel brand to brand. Some is quite simply better than others, Remmingtom and Gamebore are my favourites

the first stuff i tried was express 32gr 4s about 5-6 years ago and it couldnt seem to kill at all. i tied it on ducks and was horrified at the results so i thought i would use whats left on bolting rabbits at close quarters :no:, i cant recall any clean kills with the first shot.

Hevi-shot is absolutely brilliant stuff but eye-wateringly expensive.

Before moaning alternative shot is rubbish, try patterning it, being careful about the plate material you shoot at as lead against a steel plate tends to stop and drop but steel will come back at you in a way you will not enjoy.

Open chokes seem to suit most non-toxic materials better than tight chokes and velocities are often significantly different to your traditional lead loads.

If you are on target with a decent pattern at the right range then it still kills stuff. Except for Tin. Tin really is almost useless except for stuff so close you could stab it anyway.

Hevi Shot, amazing stuff for long range work, it will cleanly kill geese all day long. For geese I would use nothing else.

Folk complain about the price but I bet most, like myself, spend way more on fuel getting to and from the marsh than they ever do on shells, even Hevi Shot!

It is just nice to know when you get a shot a geese you have the best shells available for the job, and not some inferior compromise based on saving a few quid :good:

Edited by scolopax

I have used Hevi-shot since it first came out about 10 years ago. The old 36 gr

2 3\4 inch shells were just amazing. Killing way beyond magnum steel or lead shells. The shot was anything between 4s and 1s , mis shapen and sometimes with nodules on it , but it worked. It does not like too much choke though.

However a couple of years ago they reduced the load to 34 gr in a 3 inch shell and produced perfect rounded pellets and while it is ok it does not kill as well as the old shells. I seem to get some very good kills with it , but also too many unexplaned misses and i suspect , by reducing the load the pattern is now a bit thin at 50-60 yards.

I think the cost is a bit much for an everyday goose cartridge , but for those days when the geese are on the very limit of steel range it still comes into its own and well worth taking out.

Edited by anser2

Hevi Shot, amazing stuff for long range work, it will cleanly kill geese all day long. For geese I would use nothing else.

Folk complain about the price but I bet most, like myself, spend way more on fuel getting to and from the marsh than they ever do on shells, even Hevi Shot!

It is just nice to know when you get a shot a geese you have the best shells available for the job, and not some inferior compromise based on saving a few quid :good:

:stupid: :stupid:

Been using a Remington steel load last season for duck and it's the best i've used in steel by far.

If youre willing enough to pay the money for hevishot, why not go a little extra and get the remmy wingmaster HD? they come in much more sensible loads and shot sizes, and the pellets are perfectly formed and pattern well from my extended 1/2 choke maxus. www.johnforsey.co.uk/ammunition.html watch the video

I haven't used much hevishot but have bought myself a 7lb bag to reload. I have heard good things about it's capabilities - especially through a 10 bore. I will be loading 1 3/8 oz - 2oz loads in the 10 and 12. This should cost me, on average, less than £2 per cartridge and will be used on the days when the pinks are the other side of 50 yards.

As has already been said, i spend far more on diesel to and from the marsh than i do on cartridges.

If youre willing enough to pay the money for hevishot, why not go a little extra and get the remmy wingmaster HD? they come in much more sensible loads and shot sizes, and the pellets are perfectly formed and pattern well from my extended 1/2 choke maxus. www.johnforsey.co.uk/ammunition.html watch the video

Good point :good: all my experience is with the 'old' 40 and 36 grm Hevi loads. The HD shells may now be a better option :yes: .