Cheddite the new killing Cartridge

I was out on the Pigeons today with a newbie. We had an excellent day, but all will be revealed on another thread.

I used Nicky T's Cheddite cartridges from, I think Malmo, and very good they were to.

Clean kills and plenty of punch.

I will use them again on the next Pigeon shoot, next time I will give the Cheddite Cartridge the benefit of the doubt and use only Cheddite for the day (today I used my usual cartridges as well).

More information after next outing

I was out on the Pigeons today with a newbie. We had an excellent day, but all will be revealed on another thread.

I used Nicky T's Cheddite cartridges from, I think Malmo, and very good they were to.

Clean kills and plenty of punch.

I will use them again on the next Pigeon shoot, next time I will give the Cheddite Cartridge the benefit of the doubt and use only Cheddite for the day (today I used my usual cartridges as well).

More information after next outing

I'm sure they kill pigeons well, just like any other 28gm 7.5 cartridge.

I gave the Cheddites a thorough work out Friday, I was a little dubious at first, as I was missing more than usual, but after a while they were doing what I wanted.

The day ended with Cos and I have over 300 pigeons, with my kill to cartridge ratio about 2 to 1, this was certainly helped by the kamikaze pigeons.

One memorable shot was a 40 yard out and 30+ yard high shot, one of those reaction shots that you would not take if you thought about it. The pigeon came down dead, in fact it was so high when it landed the meat had gone off, and the blow fly eggs were hatching :lol: :lol:

It seems from an earlier reply that Motty only uses 7.5x28gms, I think I am now a convert

Edited by bakerboy

This topic usually ends in a verbal punch up but I would hazard a guess that with cheddites being a foreign load they are most likely loaded with 28 gm 7's.(a game load, hence the good kills). As are kent velocities, hence their reputation as a hard hitting load. Infact the last test I read on Velocities the tester found them to be loaded with nearer 29gms of uk 7's! They are designed for the american market.

I'm a 32gm 5 man myself so I'm running for cover!

WR

This topic usually ends in a verbal punch up but I would hazard a guess that with cheddites being a foreign load they are most likely loaded with 28 gm 7's.(a game load, hence the good kills). As are kent velocities, hence their reputation as a hard hitting load. Infact the last test I read on Velocities the tester found them to be loaded with nearer 29gms of uk 7's! They are designed for the american market.

I'm a 32gm 5 man myself so I'm running for cover!

WR

If you give me your weight,height and age, I will estimate the required lead :lol: :lol: :lol:

You get a much better hit ratio with 9's and skeet chokes...hits them just about every time :yp:

I will give it a try and let you know how I get on.

I gave the Cheddites a thorough work out Friday, I was a little dubious at first, as I was missing more than usual, but after a while they were doing what I wanted.

The day ended with Cos and I have over 300 pigeons, with my kill to cartridge ratio about 2 to 1, this was certainly helped by the kamikaze pigeons.

One memorable shot was a 40 yard out and 30+ yard high shot, one of those reaction shots that you would not take if you thought about it. The pigeon came down dead, in fact it was so high when it landed the meat had gone off, and the blow fly eggs were hatching :lol: :lol:

It seems from an earlier reply that Motty only uses 7.5x28gms, I think I am now a convert

I don't use 28gm 7.5 exclusively, but i've killed thousands using them and know they are effective. And if 7's are good for pheasant, then 7.5 are certainly good for pigeon.

I don't use 28gm 7.5 exclusively, but i've killed thousands using them and know they are effective. And if 7's are good for pheasant, then 7.5 are certainly good for pigeon.

Look forward to meeting up at the Flush, are you staying for a beer afterwards?

Terry

My opinion has also changed on 28g 7.5's!

I took a dozen or so with me, Mirage not Chedites, and they definitely do the job well at any distance you would sensibly want to shoot a pigeon even with 6's.

I wasn't tempted by the cost to use 7.5's in the past because I was scepticle, but these are something I would try going forward after Friday's outing.

I mainly used 6.5's on Friday but Terry dropped some lovely rangy birds using his Chedders ;)

Cos

I use them all the time but with trulock extended full full chokes terry can vouch shot a pigeon 50yds+ high flyer no problem it was that high by the time it hit the deck it was already plucked :) :) :)

I must have been looking the other way :lol::lol: :lol:

I use them all the time but with trulock extended full full chokes terry can vouch shot a pigeon 50yds+ high flyer no problem it was that high by the time it hit the deck it was already plucked :) :) :)

Not sure we can accept that as proof, I'm not convinced Terry can see anything at 50 yards :lol: :lol:

Cos